Natural stone care

Mar 23, 2012
Surprise Arizona
Real Name
Ty 212
Business Location
United States
Hey just thought I would post this for anyone that wants to take on more natural stone care work. This is a personal friend of mine that I worked with when I did granite counter tops and he is a stone wizard, and is always willing to give advice for sticky situations.

http://stonecareonline.org/shop/custom.aspx?recid=7

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

J

Jan 2, 2011
Real Name
J
Business Location
United States
What kind of money do these guys make? What's the average ticket price? How long is the training? I'd like to learn more about this niche.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
What kind of money do these guys make? What's the average ticket price? How long is the training? I'd like to learn more about this niche.

My brother in law own Arizona Tile and Grout care in Tucson, runs three full time crews. I think he told my his average ticket was almost $2k...he does alot of color sealing and travertine cleaning polishing and sealing.

Color sealing and stone care accounted for $100K a year of my business easily...if not for that I would have just been a $100K plus a year carpet cleaner....

Reactions: J

Blain

Oct 15, 2011
TX
Real Name
Blain Haeg
Business Location
United States
Can iron over spray/ rust staines be removed from travertine?

Yes, they can, but you must be very careful. Most rust removers are high on the acidic side of the scale, which is not recommended for porous stones like travertine, as it can etch the stone.

Before proceeding, provide the customer with the pros and cons of your resolution plan. Do not proceed without his approval and understanding of what may occur. Test in a small, inconspicuous area, such as in a closet or behind a door. Normally, when I use Rust Eradicator on ceramic tile, I pour it directly on the tile, allow it to dwell for 1-2 minutes, agitate with grout/floor brush, and rinse thoroughly. I wouldn't recommend this process on natural stone. Rather, I would dilute the product with water, wear protective gloves, apply a small amount to a clean towel, blot a small area of the rust stain, monitor the area for reaction/change, rinse thoroughly with water and/or ammonia.