Nasty gunk coming from my fresh water tank | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Nasty gunk coming from my fresh water tank

Discussion in 'Butler Systems' started by Sean M Collins, Nov 13, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Sean M Collins

Sean M Collins Active Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +103 / 1 / -0
    Did I get some funky water from somebody’s house?

2. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Male
    Washington
    Ratings:
    +1,439 / 7 / -0
    is your tank transparent? and possibly exposed to sunlight somehow? That can cause funk

3. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,172 / 1 / -0
    What kind of gunk?

4. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,713 / 0 / -0
    Any water, no matter how "clean" it is initially, will "go bad" eventually. Chlorine, which is used to sanitize water for drinking, comes out of suspension over time, particularly when exposed to sunlight or acidic conditions (anyone who's ever maintained a pool can share their grumbles about how fast chlorine gets used up in the summer, lol). Any cooties that might be floating about now get to enjoy a pool party, and soon you'll have all sorts of slimy boogery goodness growing in your fresh tank.

The best thing to do is to occasionally empty your freshwater tank and let it dry thoroughly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +103 / 1 / -0
    It’s a butler so it’s the aluminum or stainless steel fresh water tank I’ve had two different butlers never had this before

6. Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +103 / 1 / -0
    Slimy stuff like snot clogging up the filter that’s before the pump ... butler guy kept saying about stuff dislodged from the exchanger but this before the pump or exchanger

7. Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +103 / 1 / -0
    In 12 yrs of butler this a first usually the filter before the pump never really needs checked or cleaned but this was bad enough wasn’t letting water through to the pump... I drained/vacced out the water in the tank then filled 1/4 full drained again did that a couple times we’ll see

8. Luky

Luky Active Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Male
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +384 / 2 / -0
    It happens when you accidentally mix rinse in fresh water tank. I've solved it by draining the whole tank, clean the bottom and sides and that was the end of it.
    It's like reliving "Alien" all over, slime is never ending and clogs filter repeatedly .

9. Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +103 / 1 / -0
    Except I only ever had water in it

10. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,713 / 0 / -0
    Water is never "pure" - even distilled or boiled water will eventually pick up pathogenic material if it is not kept in a 100% sealed and sterile environment. Imagine a swimming pool left sitting for weeks - even if no people swim in it, and no leaves fall in it, it will eventually grow algae and bacteria by the quintillions solely from stuff floating through the air.

ANY water source will eventually get stagnant and grow cooties if it is not agitated, refreshed, and replaced.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,172 / 1 / -0
    This was my thought too, I see it all the time in auto scrubbers when they go overkill on the cleaner. Nasty snot like gunk coating everything. But is could be from bacteria. Is the slim in the lines beyond the filter?

12. Luky

Luky Active Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Male
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +384 / 2 / -0
    Nope, only on the filter a usually has a black-ish color, so it sounds like some sort of chemical reaction is occuring.

13. Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Serving the greater Charlotte area
    Ratings:
    +981 / 2 / -0
    I'm sure you have some antimicrobial on the truck. Treat a full tank in the morning and use it up all day, and rinse it out good that evening.

14. Ara Klujian

Ara Klujian Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
    Moderator Premium VIP

Jun 19, 2008
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    Ratings:
    +726 / 3 / -0
    You may have what is referred to as bio- film in your tank. The only way to remove bio-film is with enzymes. Bio - film is a slimy film that coats organic substances. The slimy film acts as a barrier to the substance in your tank. After you use enzymes to remove the bio-filmyou may then use bleach, vinegar, or h2o2 to remove whatever it was the bio-film was covering.