Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
Rotovac has not been an sponsor of TMF for almost a year now. Rotovac is a great company and has helped out thousands of cleaners worldwide, we to use their equipment as well.
Ah ok.
Just crossed my mind since it started off defending rotovacs new product that got a lot of heat already so I was like "hmm..."

No offense , just thinking out loud

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Medical------>
EmeraldProLg.jpg

Carpet Cleaners------->
ir-s-ea.jpg

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I found it interesting that people got upset over Rotovac introducing the Bonzer. Yes it has some similarities to the Zipper tool. It is not built to the degree of a Zip and obviously its not intended for such. Its seems it's targeted for mass "affordable" residential use as the Zip is "mainly" a HWE commercial tool. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. Rotovac has said they are selling the 1st prototypes for field testing and feedback gathering.

They have said they will gather the info, implement and then market the unit. So at present, we don't know how good this unit will be. Knowing Rotovac though, I must admit they do take cleaners feedback into consideration and implement them. Proof is the Rotovac XL. Many cleaners wanted a larger, stronger more durable yet still retain the versatility of the 360i. And they did it. How good the Bonzer will be only time will tell. It will be very interesting regardless.

Now back to the OP point. The introduction of the Bonzer sparked an outcry, namely by end users, that they have issue with a "copy" of the tool. End users are not always a fair representation of products because sometimes they create hype saying their new tool, their new machine, their new chemical is the holy grail of cleaning. Then as the hype builds many go out and buy things that do not fit their business model, their cleaning style or budget. That is why we have seen a number who buy accessories, tools and or machines turn around and put them up for sale. Careful consideration and ideally, testing, of anything is the best route.

So with that out of the way lets make a list of things that have been copied in this industry over the last 100 years or so. I'll start;

1) Glides.

Glides were invented by Canadian Ken Harris. He shared his idea with Jeff (Greenie) and Jeff took it ran with it. Much to Ken's chagrin. Eventually him and his wife split and Lisa took it to what it is now, GreenGlides. Now everyone is making and selling glides. Truckmount, wand, portable, trinket manufacturers and many suppliers are making them. Where is the outcry? Really, this is why I say be careful who you share any ideas with. Make sure you have a NDA signed. Get a patent. But remember, a patent is only as good as the amount of money you have to defend it. So trade carefully.

2) Inline filters

Butler was one of the 1st companies to introduce inline filters to the best of my research. Feel free to correct me if you know differently. Regardless, many companies have copied and improved upon them starting with pool filters. Now look at Blueline, Mytee and Sapphire for example. Then came the Devastator which led to the cheaper imitation, the bullet. I presently use the Devastator filters but they are hard to get and harder to get parts for. So I will probably make my own. That is something I have always done, take current products on the market and modify them to perform to my business model and cleaning style. I've taken some heat for this, but its worth the price.

3) Door Guards

Now here is a doozy. We probably all remember or have used the old door sealers called the Door Guards that have been around for decades. They are still available at https://shop.truckmountforums.com. And they work good. Over the last decade many TMF cleaners have made their own. Take Grant for instance. He made one his now door guard that looks eerily similar to the one called Seal Door. The Seal Door is a canvas full enclosure on PVC pipes and springs. It is good. But me personally I did not like the weight or lack of visibility of it. So I made my own that I called Shield a Door that is half the weight and cost that we use on our trucks now. I started to offer them but due to end user outcry and mob mentality that followed I backed off. Which really makes no sense if you think about it because it works against our own interests. Anything that stifles growth or innovation will only hurt us, not help us. That is the beauty of free enterprise system working. The best products and services win. We win by having the opportunity to use the best product possible.

4) Hose Cuffs

Push and pull hose cuffs adjoined by barbs were taken from another industry almost a century ago. But around a decade ago a patent was sent in by a Washington cleaner for a screw on type cuff. It is debated whose idea it was but like I mentioned before, be careful who you share your ideas with, because the patent was awarded to the guy who sent in the patent. This guy could have ruled the cuff world but because of being so difficult to work with Mytee and Bridgepoint made their own versions that swivel. So we now have several cuffs to choose from. That's the beauty of free American enterprise.

5) Chemicals

Grand Slam, Traffic Slam, Citrus Slam, UltraSlam and the list goes on and on. Every year a new chem comes out and other formulators try and copy them. It is not a 100% representation even when they have the list of ingredients. How can I say that? Well look at cooking and baking contests. Most have the same ingredients but some taste ok and others taste incredible. Why is that? Because the formulator and the exact recipe makes all the difference. Like anything, its the little things that make the big differences. Isn't that the case with us as cleaners? Most cleaners have the same things available to them but its the application of the little things that make the biggest difference. We set out to copy the best tile & grout cleaner and actually ended up surpassing the original with Groutmaster. We can barely make it fast enough.

Well here is only 5. I know there are a ton more because look at all the wands, rotary's and machines on the market today These are proof that the copying of other products works out to cleaners advantage. Better products, like cream, rise to the top and we all benefit. Its worth saying again we all benefit when we don't stifle innovation and progress. Also if you have an idea be careful and have a NDA signed. I have had numerous cleaners come up with ideas to improve upon a current design or a whole new idea and want to share it with me. I tell them I can help them but I insist that they send me a NDA first. So here is to the future of the cleaning industry. Let change come. May it better us all.
You need someone with larger powder blenders and batch capabilities for Groutmaster. Nice problem to have Buddy!

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Rob how about you give us a list of all the tools, chems and ideas you have copied.
haha..In Robs defense...Not about DUPLICATION but Improvements. How would you like to be tooling down the road on Henry Ford's First tires in a Model T?? Or flying across the Globe in the Kitty Hawk plane? lol Let's be Fair...Maybe a Three hour Tour on the Titanic?

Reactions: Swani21

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
7) Cleaning Forums & Groups

First there was ICS, Cleanfax. Then MB and TMF rose up. Other forum start ups bit the dust or were bought out. Then TMF started a FB group and now there are tons FB groups. Copying and change will always come. The key is staying ahead of your competitors by delivering the better product.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
7) Cleaning Forums & Groups

First there was ICS, Cleanfax. Then MB and TMF rose up. Other forum start ups bit the dust or were bought out. Then TMF started a FB group and now there are tons FB groups. Copying and change will always come. The key is staying ahead of your competitors by delivering the better product.
And there Used to Be Playboy!

Reactions: keep it clean

Carlo Pro

Nov 10, 2013
Colorado
www.oxigreencolorado.com
Real Name
Carlo B.
Business Location
United States
Personally, I DO NOT CARE WHO INVENTED A TOOL OR PRE-SPRAY
If it works, I'll buy it and use it.

Same way, "Customers" call me or call somebody else because they are cheaper then me or whatever reasons.

A food modifying a little could taste super better. YES
A pre-spray modify a little, I really don't think is gonna make a lot of difference, the advertising will make you believe that, YES

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Personally, I DO NOT CARE WHO INVENTED A TOOL OR PRE-SPRAY
If it works, I'll buy it and use it.

Same way, "Customers" call me or call somebody else because they are cheaper then me or whatever reasons.

A food modifying a little could taste super better. YES
A pre-spray modify a little, I really don't think is gonna make a lot of difference, the advertising will make you believe that, YES
Amen Carlo...