Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Name some reasons to turn down jobs to help newbies and vets alike.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Reasons for turning down a potential job:

The cleaning they are requesting to be done is beyond cleaning, especially if it is urine soaked, bleach stains, excessive wear, etc. I will ask them what their expectations are in having it cleaned. If they are beyond what I think the results will be, I will turn it down.

I will turn down a job if they are not willing to pay our prices for getting it to their expected level. I will turn down a job if they want every spec of furniture moved, including loaded hutches, heavy beds and dressers, bookcases full of books, etc.

I seriously had a scheduled job many years back. When I arrived the customer wanted every piece of furniture moved outside to be out of the way. See ya!

Realtor was trying to sell a house. When I go there the carpet was completely soaked with cat urine - everywhere. The Realtor said just do the best that you can, so I left! If I had cleaned it the carpet would have been worse than before it was cleaned!

Last edited:

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
@rob allen ........you first then I will go.

I will say this. We "decline" a couple of jobs every week for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: rob allen

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
"The guy on the phone said the master this other room and this big rug all soaked in urine for 79$" if they lie, curse, yell, at me for anyone in the house. If they are doing drugs in front of me. If there is underwear they expect us to pick up. If you can smell the cat urine from the driveway. If u get high just from them opening the front door. If they are more than 5 minutes late and wont answer there phone.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
#1 reason I turn down jobs is windshield time. The first question I ask is where they are located? I then put them in touch with other good guy cleaners in their area.

#2 is the when it isn't worth fixing and I let them know that throwing money at this is a bad plan.

Reactions: rob allen and Luky

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
At first I would never turn down anything. Would just tell them what I could do with it and if they agreed would try my best to reach that.

Then I got a rental from hell job. The landlord's were selling this totally destroyed building. There's was rotten food and feces everywhere. A mountain of diapers in a spare room like 2 feet high, the renter had taken apart a tranny in the living room, just beyond anything I'd ever seen.

Told them to rip that carpet out it'll sell better to a potential buyer. Had zero interest in having my name associated with that job. They even asked if I could just clean it so it wasn't as gross to touch. Still said no. I didn't want whoever was ripping it out to know it had been "cleaned" by me.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Completely ink stained , bleach spots color loss , worn as 2 bit hoe .
Uncleanable

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
"The guy on the phone said the master this other room and this big rug all soaked in urine for 79$" if they lie, curse, yell, at me for anyone in the house. If they are doing drugs in front of me. If there is underwear they expect us to pick up. If you can smell the cat urine from the driveway. If u get high just from them opening the front door. If they are more than 5 minutes late and wont answer there phone.
You're funny. Are your customers all stoners? I have some custys with those habits, never caused any problems. I always come to " relaxed " environment.
High strung young professionals are causing problems from time to time. To decline work is easy, when you find a way how to do the job, will earn you respect.
Once, I waited about 20 minutes for room to be freed of junk, mostly clothing. Three people filled four 33 gallons garbage bags. I still did the job and made money...

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
It would be different story if he asked for a discount since his neighbor wanted to join in, but still, customers are not taking in consideration that 2 different houses or units mean 2 completely separate work orders.
It's nice to have 2 jobs next to each other on few occasions I just dragged hoses 100' instead of breaking down and starting job over.
When Mrs. Jones starts asking about how to deal with bed bugs , I already know that would be the reson to politely decline the job and refer Mrs. Jones to a bed bugs busters....

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I'm a whore of the industry and take all the money that spends!

Just kidding - honestly I don't seem to run into many bad scenarios. Just set expectations on pet urine and usually they understand.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
You're funny. Are your customers all stoners? I have some custys with those habits, never caused any problems. I always come to " relaxed " environment.
High strung young professionals are causing problems from time to time. To decline work is easy, when you find a way how to do the job, will earn you respect.
Once, I waited about 20 minutes for room to be freed of junk, mostly clothing. Three people filled four 33 gallons garbage bags. I still did the job and made money...
33 bags? Nah I’d walk

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Bed bugs, fleas, loose dog that's aggressive, persons being an asshole or uppity will get em turned down real quick
Bugs no problem here. The rest, aggressive loose dogs, ahole uppity and I might add bat shit crazy I walk

Reactions: SRD

mark5975

May 16, 2015
Real Name
mark haynes
If I try to set realistic expectations and they disagree! (about once a year) or they try to talk me down in a way i find offensive.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I did walk out of a job once. Lady called and asked if I was the owner and did all the work myself. Yeah! I thought. Someone who knows what questions to ask rather than What do you Charge? She never even asked about price.

go to the job and after measuring it and giving her the invoice, she bawks at the price. I NEVER get that and quickly realized the scam.. Call the owner, make them commit to a time, negotiate a price and get a good deal. Cleaner already has the time set aside to do the work so if they walk, they are leaving money on the table.

So why did I walk? People are friends with people like them. Think about that. So if I would have gone ahead with the job, she would tell all her friends and say I did her carpet for such and such a price and they would expect that too - maybe more.

Nope, not this guy.