N00b polishing concrete questions?

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Care' started by Mike Krall, Apr 20, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Mike Krall

Premium VIP

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    New York
    Ratings:
    +8,289 / 15 / -0
    Can a quality job be done with diamond pads and a 175?

Can I F up the concrete?

Will the concrete have less traction when wet? This spot is outdoors but covered by a roof.

Does it need to be sealed afterwards?

What's a typical sq' charge?

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +25,177 / 58 / -0
    I just went to place a bid for a concrete polishing job today. To answer your questions:

You can use a 175 and diamond resins discs. This will be a slow process. There are bigger heavier machines you can use to speed the process up.

Yes, you can F up the concrete

It most likely will be a bit more slippery when wet as you are smoothing out the surface reducing traction.

Yes, you should seal it.

Typically $5 to $7 s sq ft.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +878 / 1 / -0
    175 will definitely work but if you have something with a higher rpm it will save you some time. You'll probably have to make more passes. Take it slow and don't let the machine hover over the same spot, keep it moving.

Will be more slippery as you reach higher levels of polish but it won't be like stripping floors slippery. Polished concrete, even highly polished concrete, still have fairly good traction.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP Top Poster of Month

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,149 / 11 / -0
    how big an area Mike? Its been a while since I did one, but we have gotten busy so I subbed out 3 jobs to guys who do it every day. I charged 15% on top of what they charged me. I made a little money off it and it got done right and the customer is happy happy !!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +878 / 1 / -0
    Hope you don't mind Mike but I'm going to add to your questions one of my own. Densifying concrete before polishing. Never done it. Never heard of doing it until the other day. How often do you guys end up doing this and how vital is it? Should this be a step I start including?

• Like Like x 1
  6. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP Top Poster of Month

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,149 / 11 / -0
    [​IMG]http://www.nclonline.com/products/view/TITAN

Description
    Superior densifying cleaner and surface conditioner for polished concrete and terrazzo. This proprietary detergent is formulated with lithium silicate to help maintain the hardening process while removing difficult soils from polished concrete and terrazzo.

Key Market Information
    Industrial
    TITAN when applied to concrete surfaces will not only clean but will also increase the density, durability, and hardness of the surface. This is a must have for heavy industry facilities that put intense pressure on their concrete surfaces.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,097 / 19 / -0
    NCL has good product line imo

8. Mike Krall

Premium VIP

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    New York
    Ratings:
    +8,289 / 15 / -0
    It's about 40x60 wide open.

9. Mike Krall

Premium VIP

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    New York
    Ratings:
    +8,289 / 15 / -0
    So Todd would could I F up and by doing what? They actually just asked for it to be sealed, but this massive slab is under a beautiful gazebo that hosts a lot of parties and I just thought it would look so much better polished.

10. Mangyan-US

Mangyan-US Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Male
    Facility Manager
    New Jersey
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I would use the 3m system if the floor is not bad, 3m red trizact, blue, put the 3m stone protector butnished with purple pad.

Materials alone 700 for materials a 60 x 40 ft can be done less 8 hours. You add your labor and you could see how much per sqft.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +878 / 1 / -0
    Easy enough

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mike Krall

Premium VIP

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    New York
    Ratings:
    +8,289 / 15 / -0
    It's a 3 year old pad with some rust stains.

It's a local non profit so I'd basically be giving them free labor and it would give me something to cut my teeth on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mangyan-US

Mangyan-US Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Male
    Facility Manager
    New Jersey
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If the rust stains are deep, I would suggest to treat it first with FAB 9 I believe. That is a rust remover for concrete.

Then do the polishing.