Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
By this time, the infamous Hyper Hippo has been refined to the point that it has been very successful. Even so, my intention all along was to merely use it as a test rat to determine whether or not portables could be useful for my business, since I am accustomed to using ProChem's most powerful truckmounts. The Hyper Hippo established itself as a very effective piece of equipment and proved to me that a powerful portable can provide the same cleaning results on residential carpet as a truckmount costing 15 times the amount.

Fast forward to the present time and I finally received the Mytee M5. At first, we were not impressed with the machine since the vacuum power seemed to be lacking compared to the Hyper Hippo. After finding a kinked internal vacuum hose today, we re-tested it and found it to be far more adequate than we first thought. It still does not have the lift of the Hippo but the cfm and overall performance is just fine for a stock machine. Our next goal is to find a way to add two more vacs (one in series with each of the stock vacs) in order to raise the lift to the desired amount.

My overall impressions of the machine are positive. Although the finish was dull when I received it, I quickly utilized a technique from my motocross past and applied Future Floor Wax to the panels for a deep color and shine. Now it looks like a new machine. The functionality and construction is very good and it does not have any of the poor design choices and primitive engineering of the Cross American Recoil XPS 3. There is a lot of room to work on the components and it is easy to access them (you don't have to pull out a screwdriver and pull any screws, you merely twist the locking mechanism and release). It rolls nicely and is not heavy compared to the Hyper Hippo but may be heavier than other modern portables.

I will keep you informed of my impressions of the machine as I continue to use it this coming week but so far, I am very happy with it and am glad that I listened to Rob Allen and refrained from buying the Recoil a few months back. Sorry folks but this thing blows away the Recoil.

cleaningservicepros

Pssst....I'm a dirt swirler
Jan 18, 2010
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the feedback, Alex.

Are you going to consider the Air Hog?

Did you ever have that 'Thunderdome Shootout' with that modified Recoil?

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
Welcome back Alex! Been kind of quiet around here!

Do you happen to have any pics of you're setup? Sprinter and all?

Carpet101

User
Aug 17, 2010
Hawaii
Real Name
Noel
Business Location
United States
Hey Alexarz, any truth to this post on ***********? I read about this on other board and just want to know what is going on.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the feedback, Alex.

Are you going to consider the Air Hog?

Did you ever have that 'Thunderdome Shootout' with that modified Recoil?
We actually ordered an airhog with it but they didn't have any in stock (backorder). I was banned from the forum so communication with Erik was severed as a result and no such shootout took place. Based on what Erik said about his case caving in on the sides, I think the Hyper Hippo would have caused his machine, the Cross American Recoil 3 XPS, to implode in shambles. It was best for Erik that this extravaganza never took place.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
Since there was something removed from this thread, I don't know what Locko and others are referring to. At first I was very disappointed with the Mytee M5 because I did not realize that one of the internal vac hoses was kinked and it affected the vacuum power. It was tricky to diagnose because when I opened the case, the hose extended and looked fine. However, I closed it slowly and noticed how the vac hose would crush and close completely when the machine was reaching full closure. Once I corrected the problem, the vacuum power was restored to what I had expected from the machine.

The Mytee M5 appears to be a great portable and I am looking forward to modifying it. In my opinion, it could be improved in one area. Instead of using the soft rubber exhaust extenders, shooting out different areas of the body, it should have strong vac exhaust hoses, attached to a connector which is fastened on the body and exiting out the back of the machine. it should come with two choices from there; 1. a silencer system that hooks on to the connector outlets (the M5 is not loud but quiet is always welcome) 2. an easily attached twin vac booster that would then add one vac in series to EACH of the internal vacs. You can bet that I am going to modify mine in this way.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
Welcome back Alex! Been kind of quiet around here!

Do you happen to have any pics of you're setup? Sprinter and all?
I don't have pics of it but I will take some and post them up. It's a really nice setup and I only have a few more things I want to add. The funny thing is, I get a lot of compliments from my customers about the van and equipment/setup even though it is my least expensive van configuration.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
We did our first carpet job today with the Mytee M5/ RV360i and I am convinced that truckmounts are headed straight down the pike of obsolescence. We cleaned the carpets to perfection and with the aid of a few Airpaths, left the carpets dry as the desert sand. The flow through the clear tube of the RV360i was very impressive. I would advise business owners to adjust their strategies and consider some of the things that I have done in your future. My Sprinter van not only makes a domestic van feel like a wobbling 3 wheeler but also gets 24 mpg combined city/hwy with the AC on in FL. I expect it to get 27 mpg once I no longer need the AC. The Sprinter/portable combination saves between $500 - $800 per month in fuel costs in comparison to a domestic/truckmount setup. The quality of work is identical.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We did our first carpet job today with the Mytee M5/ RV360i and I am convinced that truckmounts are headed straight down the pike of obsolescence. We cleaned the carpets to perfection and with the aid of a few Airpaths, left the carpets dry as the desert sand. The flow through the clear tube of the RV360i was very impressive. I would advise business owners to adjust their strategies and consider some of the things that I have done in your future. My Sprinter van not only makes a domestic van feel like a wobbling 3 wheeler but also gets 24 mpg combined city/hwy with the AC on in FL. I expect it to get 27 mpg once I no longer need the AC. The Sprinter/portable combination saves between $500 - $800 per month in fuel costs in comparison to a domestic/truckmount setup. The quality of work is identical.
To the naked eye the work may be identical. ;)

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Re: Mytee M5 meets the Hyper Hippo

I don't know what to believe now!
This is a mess! Can anybody be honest?

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
All kidding aside, it simply does not make any sense to spend 10-15 times the money for a truckmount when a portable provides the same quality cleaning. Remember that I have a few vans with new ProChem truckmounts so I am not somebody who only has a portable and is trying to rationalize the use of one. I have both and the performance difference is negligible, certainly not enough to pay 10 times the amount for. It would be better to spend the extra $18k on a good vacuum, Airpath dryers, a used Dodge Sprinter etc. than to blow it on a powerhouse truckmount that cannot pull any more water out of a carpet than a hopped up portable.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
How are the vacs set up?
Does the M5 have two separate motor mounts connected with pipes or are the motor mounts on one plate with both motors sucking through one motor mount hole?

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
The Mytee M5 has 2 LMB2A 3 stage vacs set up in parallel with separate stacks going into the waste tank. My first modification will be to add two more vacs in back of the original vacs for added lift. In my opinion, you have to take the portable out of the van and use only 50' of hose if possible in order to get the most out of it. I do not agree with those who are running them from their vans, trailers etc. Of course, circumstances differ from region to region but here in FL it is easy to roll the portable into the garage, hook up to the customer's 220v dryer outlet and need only 50' of hose to clean the entire house. The RV360i or a good wand with a glider will be efficient enough to leave the carpet no wetter than a truckmount. Dry passes are a must. A good pre-spray with a solvent booster negates most of the advantage that hot water provides. Since using portables most of the time, we have not received any complaints from our customers which is the same as when we were using only the truckmounted vans.

I have also cleaned the carpets in both of my houses with excellent results and fast drying times.