Mar 24, 2020
United Kingdom
got2bclean.co.uk
Real Name
Steve Swinney
Business Location
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I'm in UK & looking for way to pre heat water onboard so when it gets to the Mytee hotbox ( inside property) it's not stone cold . Taking heat from the 4 vacs would supply sufficient rise I would think

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I'm not sure what's available in the UK but have you considered a fuel fired heater in your van to get the water fully up to temperature before it comes inside?

Steve Swinney

Mar 24, 2020
United Kingdom
got2bclean.co.uk
Real Name
Steve Swinney
Business Location
United Kingdom
Not an option here in UK & space is at a premium. I should say that I run an all Electric Nissan ENV-200. Ideal would be to boost the water to around 30 degrees & anything above that would be a bonus. I have a diesel air heater that I could further boost hot air into an exchanger.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Worthy question and I can give you a decent answer. If you are smart about it you can harness a good bit of heat from vac motors. Shell and tube exchangers don't harness heat like finned coil exchangers will. 3 to 4 8x8 finned coil exchangers in a row will give you excellent returns on the exhaust side. You can expect 10-15°F per exchanger depending on flow. If you use 3 per series pair you can have significant increases on outgoing temps. I have tested the above and I wouldn't send you on a folly. This is the type of exchanger that I am referring to. Keep us posted on your build.

coil3.jpg

Steve Swinney

Mar 24, 2020
United Kingdom
got2bclean.co.uk
Real Name
Steve Swinney
Business Location
United Kingdom
Hi Jim
Thank you so much for your reply & advise very much appreciated.
I am soon to start on installing a diesel water heater that will feed the header tank on a continuous loop.

My plan in my head is to build a vacuum heat exchanger to sit on top off the escape but this will have its own pump to run again on a continuous loop ..
My thinking behind the two systems are they can run independent of each other but feed from the same header tank on the Escape....
The fresh water tanks will just add water to the header tank as required so should keep the water at a good temperature...

Any thoughts good or bad guys

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Have you considered heating up your freshwater tank between jobs with your van coolant bane clene style? It can be done in the USA for $150. Routing coolant from the heater core to a copper coil in the freshwater tank will give you all you need before the heater in the house. It's a one time investment with nothing to break.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Have you considered heating up your freshwater tank between jobs with your van coolant bane clene style? It can be done in the USA for $150. Routing coolant from the heater core to a copper coil in the freshwater tank will give you all you need before the heater in the house. It's a one time investment with nothing to break.
Thats a good idea but he's running on an electric van. do they have cooling systems that will output that much heat?

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
How about just putting an ashbys steammate close to the wand ( for Americans than is a 3kw inline heater ...dualcore with copper coil wrapped around the metal body , probably the best inline available . ( Although mytees new twin cord more powerfull again )
You just have to source another circuit than your quadvac... not hard at 230v .

Really they made a mess of the escape in the UK , too big a pump ,and the vacs could have being chosen different .... its not even legal per cord on the current draw side .

I have used an old bane tank in the past as jim mentions ... you could still pick one up in the uk , mine also had a 3kw immersion in the side of the tank for plugging in for warm up . The exchanger through the cooling system works great ... but if you first job is half mile down the road from starting point .... no time to heat .
A diesel heater would solve your problem also i suppose .

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
ok i didnt read that , some of the uk guys get an immersion fitted to their tanks ... like the standard uk home tank types ... plug it in before starting in the morning , might not suit everyone .
But recovering the vac heat like you mentioned might give u a bit of a rise . never tried it though .

Steve Swinney

Mar 24, 2020
United Kingdom
got2bclean.co.uk
Real Name
Steve Swinney
Business Location
United Kingdom
I'm 36 years in carpet cleaning & have owned almost every machine available including a steamway sidekick TM, that was a great little truckmount...This Mytee ticks all the boxes bar heat & so I have to come up with a way to do it....I will be fitting the Webasto next week ( If I can get access to plumbers merchant due to lockdown)....The vacuum heat exchanger is just another way to use that wasted heat to boost the Webasto more.

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
isnt there a webasto water heater also ?
would that be an option insted of diesel to hot air ...to exchanger ...to water

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
think i got it this time :) sound good overall .
Im building a one cord 4kw inline at the moment ... thats my heat boost for now :vamp: