Mytee Air Hog Design Problems Final Summary - FOAMING | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Mytee Air Hog Design Problems Final Summary - FOAMING

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
After further testing and reading posts across the board I've concluded that the Air Hog has foaming issues because the lint hog + piglet create foam initially (added turbulence of piglet I guess) - then the foam blows into the tank - and even if you have an elbow to direct the foam downward it does little to no good - your foam will wind up in your vac motors as with most extractors. Foam has very little weight so it floats on into the vac stac and / or out the chained vac opening in the back - never reaching the tank.

I don't know if moving the Lint Hog out farther from the AH would solve this problem - as in down line or if the foam would simply blow down the hose and into the Hog. My guess is if the lint hog is 50' away it might give the foam time to break up and dissolve back into dirty water and chemical then dropping into the tank when it arrives... not sure.

I've noticed foam on the piglet and also theorize that the problem with the lint hog collecting water at the bottom is more a byproduct of foam on the piglet dissolving back into dirty water and dropping into the bottom. I wonder if the devastator has this issue...

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
What would a fix be? I noticed couple threads asking this.. More defoamer or design issues..
So far pointing a 90 degree elbow (a "street" elbow I added into the back of the lint hog) in toward the tank wall where the foam can hit the wall and drip down has helped a lot along with sprinkling crystal defoamer on the carpet. After talking with Nathan at Mytee I don't think the piglet adds to the foaming problem - it probably even reduces actual foam that enters the tank - the main problem might be the smaller tank and when you crank up the cfm to 300 or more (I don't know many small tanks that are taking on 300+ cfm and 215" of lift).

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I will agree a small waste tank with high CFMs will cause water and foam to enter the air stream that enters into the vacuum motors. Air flow deflector will help remove water and foam from the air stream.

The Piglet filters do cause foam even if you have low PH cleaning solutions. The faster the air flow the more foam you will have.

I notice foam in my 360i site tube on most carpets types even if there is no soap used on that area. Look at the modern water faucets. The Aerator takes a solid flow of water and breaks it up from a solid water stream and adds air in to the water stream, making the water flow lighter by adding air or making it in to a non ph foam.

My bet on your foam problem is on the air stream in to the small waste tank and if there are no air flow defectors or if the deflectors are not arranged right you will have foam and water going in to the vacs.
The piglet filters will increases the problem 25% to 75% more no mater the design of the waste tank, just like the faucet aerators do to your water flow at the kitchen sink.

Last edited:

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I should also say a Deflector can also be a called a air flow manipulator or water separator.

If the piglet filter is away from the waste tank you may have less foam due to the water regrouping into a solid again. Like if you let the water flow from your kitchen sink on to a plate and then it flows into the basin of the sink, it re solidifies a lot more in time and distance from the aerator.

So I bet again the water will become more solid as it travels from the piglet filter to waste tank in a 25 to 50 foot vacuum hose.

Reactions: Jim Ellis

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
I should also say a Deflector can also be a called a air flow manipulator or water separator.

If the piglet filter is away from the waste tank you may have less foam due to the water regrouping into a solid again. Like if you let the water flow from your kitchen sink on to a plate and then it flows into the basin of the sink, it re solidifies a lot more in time and distance from the aerator.

So I bet again the water will become more solid as it travels from the piglet filter to waste tank in a 25 to 50 foot vacuum hose.
You have a good point. As water - air comes rushing in at high volume (cfm) & velocity (lift) the piglet probably goes crazy. 215" of lift and 300+ cfm at the inlet port of the AH lint hog may be too much. I'm going to be moving the lint hog further downstream later to see if this helps and reduces the amount of defoamer I have to use.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using TMF Forums mobile app

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Carpet fibers even act as a aerator at the wand with high air flow.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
From what I understand the Air hog will be updated soon. All I've heard so far is the Wheels will be different. I don't suffer the same foaming issues as some and I really can't figure out why... I would like to see that problem figured out.... a base for the waterbox and a more powerful pump option would be tops with me.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
From what I understand the Air hog will be updated soon. All I've heard so far is the Wheels will be different. I don't suffer the same foaming issues as some and I really can't figure out why... I would like to see that problem figured out.... a base for the waterbox and a more powerful pump option would be tops with me.
You may not have high or higher air flow then others due to the tools used or your vacuum system.
Your water flow from the pump may also be a reason combined with tools and air flow vacuum system.

How much CFMs do you guess you have?
What's your pumps water flow rated at?
Do you use piglet filters near the waste tank?
Is the Air Hog used as a booster in line or the only base vacuum system, Is it a series system or parallel?

Last edited:

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
Mine is a stock air hog with the newer 12 amp draw? vac motors...pump is 1.5 gpm 220 psi used with 50-75 feet of hose through a standard 1.5 inch wand with 2 o3 jets. I use stock piglets located on top of machine. Mine is used as a base unit porchmount and is the parallel model.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Mine is a stock air hog with the newer 12 amp draw? vac motors...pump is 1.5 gpm 220 psi used with 50-75 feet of hose through a standard 1.5 inch wand with 2 o3 jets. I use stock piglets located on top of machine. Mine is used as a base unit porchmount and is the parallel model.
I guess you have 80 cfms with open wand to 150 max cfms with open 2" hose at 50' using your data. I guessing a 12" wand head with 1/8 open slot.
Water flow seems fair.

I guess your CFMs are lower then others is why your foam problems are not a real problem on your system.
Do you use a defoamer at all? Inline or some other way?

Last edited:

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I have no idea where or how you calculated 80 -150 cfm...it's all good but this is the exact model and specs for machine http://www.mytee.com/products/7300-air-hog-plus-vacuum-booster/#.UH8TzGl264Q .
You said you have the new, lower powered vacs.
The stats are not the same as what I seen of the new lower powered vacs mytee uses.

The stats from the link are the stats of the high powered vac motors.
Maybe Mytee for got to up date the system using lower powered vac motors.

I'm confused now.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Think it was about amp draw maybe?
I agree, more Amps, More power the motors have.
If you cut 2 amps off a motor, you will not have the same CFM or lift readings.
These new and old vacs are the same design with 3 stage fans.

The data from this post is what I have learned in all this talk about vac motors.
If they cam out with a Flex Capacitors, OK, I admit I be Wrong.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
You said you have the new, lower powered vacs.
The stats are not the same as what I seen of the new lower powered vacs mytee uses.

The stats from the link are the stats of the high powered vac motors.
Maybe Mytee for got to up date the system using lower powered vac motors.

I'm confused now.
That's the only stats and specs that I know for certain. I haven't had a reason to touch my vac motors. Jim Ellis I believe is the one to bring the new vac's too my attention. All Air Hogs built after such and such date have the new vacs. I love them myself. 2 15 amp circuits and it's on. If I can find a 3rd circuit I can add my heater...
I believe this to be the vacs in my airhog http://www.mytee.com/products/c302lp-vacuum-motor/

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Just ran the HTM on 5 rooms of carpet - low dose of defoamer and lower amount of my stronger pre-spray - vac motors weren't spitting out foam - this is about the 8th time in a row I haven't had a problem so it looks like my mod (90 degree elbow) and defoamer has been working. I'm going to be upgrading the vac motors soon from a 6.6 x 2 + 5.7 x2 config to a 6.6 x2 + 8.4 x 2 soon to bump up the performance a little more as long as I have the foaming issues resolved.

Reactions: StevenB.