Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Unbeknownst to distributors up and down the East Coast, I sent my family back via plane while I rented a car. I drove from Miami to Va and visited close to 15 distributors, from mom & pop shops to mega distributors. It was very enlightening and I met some great people along the way.

Every place I visited they knew me from online and it was cool as cleaners walked in their shops they also knew. We had great conversations. I really learned a lot, got a more well rounded look at our industry and feel I can use what I learned to help make TMF better. I have about a 100 pics but here are just a few. Enjoy.

PS- @Mama Fen (Amy) in the first pic is exactly the same person in real life as she is online. Helpful, kind, a bit sassy and very knowledgeable. The whole staff and operation they ran is first class. Props to you Amy.

IMG_6817.JPG

IMG_6792.JPG

IMG_6807.JPG

IMG_6783.JPG

IMG_6780.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6542.JPG

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I want to say this trip really changed my perspective and caused a serious paradigm shift in my perspective. Touched my heart meeting many of these folks who work in our industry.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Isn't it scary how we all seem to use the same type of slat-wall in our buildings, lol...? Great minds, great minds.

I thought long and hard about yesterday's visit, TBH. It had quite an impact on me and I chewed on it thoroughly on my way home last night.

In my defense, I had just finished a quick smoke and was trying to re-combobulate myself when this strange fella comes wafting through my door with a devilish grin on his face, looking slimmer in person than he does on the interwebz, and proceeds to charm the socks off of everyone in the building (even my new gal up front, who's still bug-eyed at how much there is to learn but seems to love it so far).

Is he brash? Maybe a wee bit.

Ambitious and driven? Oh, you betcha.

This is a guy who's serious about business, and it comes across in both his body language and in the way his eyes are never in one place for more than a few seconds. He's soaking everything in at lightning speed and you can practically hear the motor in his noggin screaming at max RPMs.

Ever-watchful, this one, but it's certainly not because he's paranoid.

It's because he is constantly learning. He probably absorbs more in thirty seconds than most people can process in an hour.

But when you spend time talking to him without the anonymity of a computer screen, it turns out he's also got a great big warm heart that's squishier than the freshest nougat. I have no doubt this man would give his life for a stranger.

He's also very clever, quick on the draw, and has a great laugh. He likes to test you during conversation, to see if you're listening and to gauge your responses so he can learn more about you. He is, in short, as good-natured and genuine as he is energetic.

Things like this remind me that, at the end of the day, this industry is about people. It serves people. It it served by people. And it is shaped by people. Every one of whom is an individual.

So if you haven't had the pleasure of meeting Rob in person yet, it's a roller-coaster experience that I highly recommend. He'll keep you on your toes, and you'll enjoy the balancing act. You won't change his mind if he feels strongly about something, but his conviction actually makes him that much more likeable because it comes from a desire to "do right".

BUT. But, but, but. Next time, Rob, please give me some warning so I can have some coffee on for you (and so I can pretty up for a picture so I don't look like I just wandered in from a shooting of Orange is the New Black). We are especially notorious for the high-octane good stuff. I've got guys who ONLY come in in the mornings so they can grab a cup to start their day.

And if you're really nice, maybe we'll take you to Joe Momma's for the best pizza pie south of Jersey.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States
Isn't it scary how we all seem to use the same type of slat-wall in our buildings, lol...? Great minds, great minds.

I thought long and hard about yesterday's visit, TBH. It had quite an impact on me and I chewed on it thoroughly on my way home last night.

In my defense, I had just finished a quick smoke and was trying to re-combobulate myself when this strange fella comes wafting through my door with a devilish grin on his face, looking slimmer in person than he does on the interwebz, and proceeds to charm the socks off of everyone in the building (even my new gal up front, who's still bug-eyed at how much there is to learn but seems to love it so far).

Is he brash? Maybe a wee bit.

Ambitious and driven? Oh, you betcha.

This is a guy who's serious about business, and it comes across in both his body language and in the way his eyes are never in one place for more than a few seconds. He's soaking everything in at lightning speed and you can practically hear the motor in his noggin screaming at max RPMs.

Ever-watchful, this one, but it's certainly not because he's paranoid.

It's because he is constantly learning. He probably absorbs more in thirty seconds than most people can process in an hour.

But when you spend time talking to him without the anonymity of a computer screen, it turns out he's also got a great big warm heart that's squishier than the freshest nougat. I have no doubt this man would give his life for a stranger.

He's also very clever, quick on the draw, and has a great laugh. He likes to test you during conversation, to see if you're listening and to gauge your responses so he can learn more about you. He is, in short, as good-natured and genuine as he is energetic.

Things like this remind me that, at the end of the day, this industry is about people. It serves people. It it served by people. And it is shaped by people. Every one of whom is an individual.

So if you haven't had the pleasure of meeting Rob in person yet, it's a roller-coaster experience that I highly recommend. He'll keep you on your toes, and you'll enjoy the balancing act. You won't change his mind if he feels strongly about something, but his conviction actually makes him that much more likeable because it comes from a desire to "do right".

BUT. But, but, but. Next time, Rob, please give me some warning so I can have some coffee on for you (and so I can pretty up for a picture so I don't look like I just wandered in from a shooting of Orange is the New Black). We are especially notorious for the high-octane good stuff. I've got guys who ONLY come in in the mornings so they can grab a cup to start their day.

And if you're really nice, maybe we'll take you to Joe Momma's for the best pizza pie south of Jersey.
Haha, nice! Interesting to hear about my pops :D

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I want to say this trip really changed my perspective and caused a serious paradigm shift in my perspective. Touched my heart meeting many of these folks who work in our industry.
Awesome Rob- we need to meet one day.

Reactions: rob allen

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino