My process sux

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Space Coast sunny Florida
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
I need some advice. Possibly a lot of it too.

I just jumped ship from OP (low moisture) only to OP/HWE.

work time doubled.

Now I need to admit right here I have a rather old Mytee with no bells and whistles. 100 psi, external heat, 2-2 stage vacs. 2" intake/hose.

since my machine is so weak, I tend to pre scrub using the OP machine then basically rinse with the mytee.

I get awesome results with killer dry times (often 30-45 minutes) but I also pad-dry sometimes.

I do not like using the OP for fear of tip bloom but on the other hand, sometimes it does help bring back the old worn out naps.

so, I am curious if the following process will work as good:

Pre spray, scrub with a broom or rake, then rinse with porty. Or do I need to go bigger with PSI and on board heat?

I also had a crap day doing a very old condo that had 20 am breakers but they all had been popped before so many times none would hold the load (one chord machine) for more than 5-10 minutes. YIKES!

My recovery is good since I tend to not use bookoo water. I tend to use one wet pull with two dry strokes and repeat that rotation if needed.

But all of this has obviously added a ton of time to the job. More than I can ever bill for.

back when all I did was OP, I was doing well over 100 per hour. Now? Like negative 300.:eek:

I know some of you guys must be jamming and I;d like to feed back on a better process.

Oct 23, 2006
Bristol Va
Real Name
William Weaver
I think you are probably going as fast as the equipment will allow. A truck mount will pay for its self in time saved, especially time dealing with fuses and breakers.

Been there, Done that. almost lost the t-shirt

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
No doubt I am headed toward a TM. But I have more time right now than money and business is growing...slowly.

Maybe, since this is the porty section, someone can help out who still uses a porty.

Mar 7, 2006
georgia
Real Name
scott rogers
you will be well served by upgrading your porty, however. Since money is currently a issue why not get some different pads for you op machine. With the proper pad tip blooming is not a issue.

A rake or broom will not compare to the prescrub you can do with your OP.

Also there is no need to prescrub the whole job, scrub the traffic areas or other problem spots dont waste time scrubbing the complete room.

Pick up a few gladiator pads and a few Tuway thin ones. With these pads tip blooming will not be much of a concern.

Best of luck.

agrota

Dec 6, 2008
Las Vegas
www.mydreamclean.com
Real Name
Allen Grota
Business Location
United States
Geez. All that on one cord? Can you seperate the heater to a second cord? That would make the breaker problem go away. If the heater is already on a seperate cord, then your vacs are going out and drawing too much. Get some Grime Reaper from Vacaway, some Gladiator pads from CCS, and go back out there and knock em dead!

jcdsog

Mar 10, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.carolinacarpetcareonline.com
Real Name
James Carter
Business Location
United States
it sounds like youre doing a good job, atleast as good as you can. and its good to see that you do care about your work.

i have a mytee that i bought in Nov or Dec last year. i have to say that it does a pretty good job. especially for the cost. all i've ever used is portables so thats all i know.

i ALWAYS prevac, very slow and methodical. you wouldnt believe the dirt i get out just from that. ii know some dont, t's just a personal choice.

i then prespray, let dwell for 15 minutes...sometimes 20. then extract with one wet pass, overlapping 50% so in theory every fiber get rinsed twice. then do a dry pass.

i do groom cut pile just to speed up the drying a little.

thats it. i honestly have never scrubbed. i heard some people using a deck brush or push broom. i might try it one day just to see but im getting pretty good results.

and some wore out carpets just wont look much better once they are so far gone no matter what you do.

i would say either upgrading your machine with new vac motors and a new higher psi pump and splitting it into 2 cords or just buying a newer portable with better specs. im sure this would make you a little faster and give you better results.

or you could buy a tm if you want to invest more. but it sounds like youre doing a good job.

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
With the proper pad tip blooming is not a issue.
TB is always an issue with OP or rotary. That is why the mills stopped suggesting this process

Pick up a few gladiator pads and a few Tuway thin ones. With these pads tip blooming will not be much of a concern.
I have 40 gladiator pads and 5-6 tuways. They are all I use.

the Op machine has one chord.

external heat another.

and the mytee has yet another.

All-in-all there are three chords.

what I am looking for here is the process the porty users who use portys use. :)

Mar 7, 2006
georgia
Real Name
scott rogers
I have been Cleaning carpets for 18 years and OP'ing for 6 years and have NEVER tip bloomed a carpet from OP'ing.

If you are constantly tip blooming with Glads and Tuways there is definitely something wrong with the way your using your OP.

I would call John Guerkink, He should be able to help u out with a few tips

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I might be able to help a little.

I need some advice. Possibly a lot of it too.

I just jumped ship from OP (low moisture) only to OP/HWE.

work time doubled.

Now I need to admit right here I have a rather old Mytee with no bells and whistles. 100 psi, external heat, 2-2 stage vacs. 2" intake/hose.

since my machine is so weak, I tend to pre scrub using the OP machine then basically rinse with the mytee.

I get awesome results with killer dry times (often 30-45 minutes) but I also pad-dry sometimes.

I do not like using the OP for fear of tip bloom but on the other hand, sometimes it does help bring back the old worn out naps.

so, I am curious if the following process will work as good:

Pre spray, scrub with a broom or rake, then rinse with porty. Or do I need to go bigger with PSI and on board heat?

I also had a crap day doing a very old condo that had 20 am breakers but they all had been popped before so many times none would hold the load (one chord machine) for more than 5-10 minutes. YIKES!

My recovery is good since I tend to not use bookoo water. I tend to use one wet pull with two dry strokes and repeat that rotation if needed.

But all of this has obviously added a ton of time to the job. More than I can ever bill for.

back when all I did was OP, I was doing well over 100 per hour. Now? Like negative 300.:eek:

I know some of you guys must be jamming and I;d like to feed back on a better process.

It's apparent that you are conscientious about your work and that you are giving an excellent service. I started out with portables over 21 years ago and used them until about 1998 I think. I worked with 100 psi extractors w/o heat for several years. Later I went to a 300 psi Castex w/ auto fill and auto dump. I used a gas heater to heat my water and was able to operate it from the van. I used that system for several years. The main problems I had were electrical such as finding properly grounded outlets, running extension cords and it would start raining, blowing fuses, or throwing circuit breakers, etc. Other than that the system worked pretty good. If you can upgrade your pump that would help some, but at some point you will have to decide how much aggravation you are willing to put up with using your present system. If you are getting enough work and if a higher production machine could cut your time in half, then I would say go for it especially if you already own a van to put it in. You indicated you were making 100. an hour, but now make maybe less than half because your production is slowed. If you are dead set against going into debt for a truck mount then you have to make the best of the equipment you have, but you should consider that a good truck mount could more than pay for itself w/o any negative impact on your monthly income and in fact could significantly increase it. If you can increase your production rates by only a few hours a month that would make the entire payment on a number of truck mounts. I personally use the Boxxer 421, a standard 2 jet wand, and an RX-20 when I need extra agitation. I've never prescrubbed using any machine. I do sometimes use a Grandi Groom to work in the prespray before extraction. If you are going to continue using your portable I would make the following suggestions:
1. Do upgrade your pump to at least a 200 psi. or better. Higher pump pressure will speed production rates, but it may leave the carpets a little more damp than you've been leaving them, but it shouldn't be significantly more if your vac motors are working properly. Here is a link to one I would suggest. http://www.steam-brite.com/store/pumptec-with-built-regulator-p-7529.html
2. There is an electric converter box you can get that plugs into a standard dryer outlet that converts it to two 110 outlets. That is very handy to have with a setup like yours and I'm pretty sure Mytee makes one of them. Here is a link to some like I'm talking about, http://www.steam-brite.com/store/parts-accessories-electrical-adaptor-c-3_453.html This a link to the particular set of adapters made by Mytee. http://www.steam-brite.com/store/mytee-electrical-adapter-p-4778.html
3. Don't assume because a carpet is very dirty that it's going to be hard to clean and will need to be prescrubbed every time. I've cleaned thousands of carpets and some were extremely filthy, but cleaned up really easily, but I've cleaned others that didn't look bad at all that were a bear to clean. Sometimes just using a rake or groomer and some dwell time is all you need if you are using a good TLC to emulsify the soil.
4. Don't underestimate the value of a good extension cord. Never use less than a 12 gage and 10 gage is even better. Yes, they are expensive, but will last practically forever. Poor extension cords will cause your motors to overheat and fail prematurely, not to mention they are a very real fire hazard if a lower gage cord is used to pull more amps than it's rated.

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
wandwizard, I appreciate your post.

I do plan on upgrading soon enough to a more powerful porty. The plan is go big enough to run from the truck.

The logical next step is a TM. Just not clear yet if it will be a gas or electric version.

I need a little more experience with this dual process before I know how powerful I really need to be.

Mick Ellis

Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Real Name
M Ellis
Business Location
Australia
Phil
From reading your post and talking to you in chat i feel your a perfectionist and will excel no matter what system or machine you go with.
Gather as much info as you need to gradually move up, but don't try and go too big too quick.
There is a lot of experience to be gained from the members of this forum.

Mick

jmathis

May 16, 2009
Birmingham,Al.
Real Name
john mathis
Business Location
United States
take your time

your attitude is perfect for the business, heres what i consider the best suggestion look into a rotovac power wand its one of the best decision we ever made improved results, and yes we have five portables and use1 with each

bullets

Oct 14, 2008
ocean county
Real Name
micky bullets
some very sound advice from these fine folks phil and i'll add this..............

along with a great pre-spray, dwell time is paramount!

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
I have rotovac. I do not care for it much.... it is for sale.

Micky Bullets! How the heck are ya pal!

Mick for Ozzie land...what an awesome chat we had!

Not sure I am a perfectionist...but i want the job done right just like we want when we pay for something.

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
I think you are doing a great job already!! We are using a porty only (for now) and IMO can out clean most TM guys around here BUT......we take a lot longer doing it.:bigsmiley:

We have about 7 months in the business and continue to learn things everyday. I can tell you this, we are getting better and faster every time we clean a home or business even with our porty. We have just discovered the power of a OP machine about 2-3 months ago (Thanks Matt) along with HWE and I feel this has been a big help to our results. So, like I said you are doing a great job it just might take a little longer for you (and us) to clean than others. Keep plugging away man, you will have a new porty or TM in no time!!peace

rjfdube

Dec 18, 2008
Pensacola
www.rickiefontenotsjanitorialservices.com
Real Name
Rickie Fontenot
Business Location
United States
I feel your pain brother; I started with a new EDIC Pro; 500 psi machine(still think it was a 100 psi pump), 5 gallons of whatever they sent with it; 5 years later I have done ok for myself. Invest asap into a booster for your machine to increase production.

Good Luck out there!!

SuzukiRider

Nov 2, 2008
Portland Oregon
Real Name
Alex Plop
Business Location
United States
Yeah boosters allow you to leave the machine outside and carry just the booster in one hand as you are walking into the house/apartment you are cleaning.

I have never used a booster I would just drag the machine to the front door and leave it there.

I started with a Namco Husky Scooter portable, 100 psi and two three stage vacs.

I found that the right mix of chemicals made the most difference.

I would come in and prespray with the wand really quick, then rake it all in and while it dwells i run the vac hose and mix the acid rinse up, then check all the stains to make sure they came out. If not then I would scrub a little bit more on spots.

Then extract with acid rinse.

I got pretty good, one hour on average for two bedroom units.

If you have any questions PM me

Andy MC

Mar 26, 2009
WA
Real Name
Andy McFadden
Business Location
United States
I have been glued to this thred, as I'm in a similar situation being an OP VLM guy who is now using a porty more and more. One good thing to keep in mind Phil, with your current equipment you can clean as well as anyone,

Heres what I plan to do when I get my set up the way I want it.

(When I get some money ahead) I plan to get 75 feet of 2 inch hose, run the porty to the front porch and work from there,

PRe spray and scrub bad areas using a crb , then it's quick rinse and suck with porty. Clean and dry carpets