My motor blew up :( Can anyone tel me how many horsepower it takes to run a 56 blower?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Gxsr 600cc
Yamaha R6
Suzuki SV 600 twin
Kawasaki zx 600cc
100hp in a small package
There is a major issue with them for this application they producer horsepower at too high of an RPM it would also overheats they don't have enough airflow blowing past them inside a truck another wish you would be crank to drive ratio is way off so if there is ever a deceleration of the blower it will cause the crank to bend connecting a rod. Another issue with motorcycles engines they have terrible torque band they are designed to accelerate a human on a motorcycle not maintain speed of a blower. Fuel input systems are insufficient as well they are designed for acceleration not maintaining RPM at a given in load.
If you're willing to work around these issues I'm sure it would work great. But it would take a lot more engineering time and money than people think.
I know my dad and I tried to put a Honda 550 super sport and a 10ft John boat within 5 minutes the carbs iced up causing the float to stick open flooding it killing it so we worked it. It then had a problem with overheating the boat wasn't fast enough. So we put a fan on it. So that kind of fixed it the next time out from full throttle we decelerated from the prop cavitation loan it bent off the output sprocket shaft. So after 10 hours of machining my father managed to make a direct-drive output shaft. We managed to get it to work but ended up being a nightmare and never met the expectations that we had. 25 horse outboard on it and blowing it out of the water.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Mazda 1300TC
80hp
Runs on the smell of a oily rag
Indestructible
Cheap
Will sit at 3000rpm just as well as 9000rpm and will never break!!!!

Are they rotary motors?

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Are they rotary motors?
Nope they are naturally aspirated 4-cylinder
They're famous for reliability however finding parts forms going to be challenging they've been out of service for quite some time.

Rotary would be a nightmare I have a little experience with them and I can tell you first-hand everybody I know that had one had them blow up they get terrible fuel economy and have zero torque
Screenshot_20181126-110350_Chrome~2.jpg

May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
Nope they are naturally aspirated 4-cylinder
They're famous for reliability however finding parts forms going to be challenging they've been out of service for quite some time.

Rotary would be a nightmare I have a little experience with them and I can tell you first-hand everybody I know that had one had them blow up they get terrible fuel economy and have zero torque View attachment 81265
Still plenty of the 1300tc around here!!!

Rotary engines aren’t nightmares they are amazing!!!
The heat you would get from one would negate the need for fuel fired heat!!!
12 moving parts, no valves, no cams
As long as they are warmed up or not driven hard until they get to temp is the key!!!
I have an early model Rx7 with almost 500hp at the wheels, 13BTurbo engine whole car weighs under 1000kgs
Had rotaries for almost 30years LOTS of experience!
Never had a problem with any of my rotors...although I know some who have had lots of problems, those that had problems couldn’t grasp the difference between pistons and rotaries!

Rotaries do it with less talk and more noise!!!
Don’t need torque at 8000rpm

Rx8s have a few engine problems
Which is only the result of not reviving the engine to its redline!!!
Too many hairdressers driving them between 2-3000rpm only...
Rotaries are designed to rev at 8000rpm

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
My 1st car was a 82 rx7 i actually tried to blow it up i gave up after redlining it for 30 minutes lol.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
My 1st car was a 82 rx7 i actually tried to blow it up i gave up after redlining it for 30 minutes lol.
Rotary crazy happiest at high RPMs what kills them is the oil scrapers wearing out at low miles absolute honesty you can hold any car redline for 30 minutes and it not blow up oils laying around in their lubricating everything Motors are most unhappy at lower RPM than what they're designed to if you would have pulled a quart of oil out of that thing it would have died really quick. Snowing screams about how reliable in RX7 is everybody screams about how unique they are
Look man I'm in Audis BMWs. reliability is not their strong suit and I would never put one in a money making machine

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
OK I need some more advice. the guy that has a Toyota 20R for sale, says it was running last as recently as last month hen he pulled it out of his Toyota Truck. I asked if I could see it running before I buy it to which he replied no, as it's out of the truck. I then asked if he'd in writing guarantee that the motor runs, he refused stating he doesn't know who or what anyone will do to his motor once it leaves his place. I didn't feel real comfortable with this.

He told me I'm more then welcome to pul the pugs and look at it. I'm no mechanic so that be a waste of my time. Any advice guys? Thanks,

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
You could get a good idea if its been rebuilt or not by looking at it several things to look for ...wont guarantee its been rebuilt but it would give you a good idea. You could take a compression guage with you and test the compression by hand turning it

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I can understand the guy not warranting the thing though cause you dont know if a guys gonna install it and start it without oil in it or what (seen it happen believe it or not)

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
You don't have to be a mechanic to get one of those running just make sure the bring some starter fluid and a battery make sure to have a metric wrench set of jumper cables if you can't run it turn it over make sure there's no hard spots as rotating it should be difficult at the compression stroke of every cylinder

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Compression test it and that's all you really need to know. I hope you have a plan for adapting the flywheel or crank to your machine. That might take some creativity.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Compression test it and that's all you really need to know. I hope you have a plan for adapting the flywheel or crank to your machine. That might take some creativity.
I would call hayes they make just about anything 231-879-3372 ask for Zeb. Theyll hook ya up with a shaft they may even have one already for that motor