My motor blew up :( Can anyone tel me how many horsepower it takes to run a 56 blower?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
How much Horsepower does it take to run a 56 blower? My back up TM blew up yesterday and put a rod through the block. Unfortunately the motor is no longer being made. It's a Ford 4 cylinder water cooled motor. I'm trying to figure out what my options are. But first I need to know how many horsepower I need to turn my 56 blower. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Johnny

Last edited:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
My long time neighbor and friend has been a very successful mechanic for 35 years and hates all cars and trucks, actually sez he would like to see most vehicles go through a car crusher while he dons a yuge smile.... That's how I feel about TM's and the piss poor, slapped together from various industries engineering we suffer from.

Blacktiedetailing

www.crsurfacecare.com
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2011
Las Vegas
WWW.CRSurfaceCare.com
Real Name
Jeff Kondra
Business Location
United States
How much Horsepower does it take to run a 56 blower? My back up TM blew up yesterday and put a rod through the block. Unfortunately the motor is no longer being made. It's a Ford 4 cylinder water cooled motor. I'm trying to figure out what my options are. But first I need to know how many horsepower I need to turn my 56 blower. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Johnny
You can borrow my 870, if you can get it started...

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Holy shit are you serious? Ill help any way I can Johnny I would have never thought that motor would have thrown a rod it was tore down and rebuilt when we built that machine.
A 56 takes about 25 hp to run the blower, pumps about 5 hp i would figure another 10 hp for a service factor so 40 to 45 hp should spin everything. That motor isnt made anymore but you may be able to find a rebuild, check ebay theres alot of smaller industrial motors on there pretty cheap

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Ive also heard of machines with 56 blowers being ran with kohler 40 hp air cooled motors, not sure if Id personally go that route but it would be fairly cheap and an easy swap.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
56 blower specs out close to a 47 blower. RPM is different 2800 max for the 56 and 3600 max for the 47. If the machine is coupler driven you could run the 56 blower 10% over the max. That would keep your RPM up for cooling for an air cooled engine.

I use the 35 hp carbureted Briggs/Vanguard for a 47 blower and a 4000 psi, 5 gpm pump . Never have taken the pump over 2800 psi as of yet and the 35 hp runs it easy without struggle. I have over 1200 hours on this Briggs. Not using oil or leaking it. I use full synthetic.

I had a 34 hp Kohler on my machine when I bought it new. Kohler failed me twice and was hard starting when hot/warmed up.

Vanguard does have a EFI 37 hp and a EFI 40 hp marine big block. EFI should consume less fuel than a carb.

Parts are less expensive on the Vanguard compared to the Kohler.

Don't know what shaft size you need but you do get a muffler with this one. Plus free shipping.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337618551&icep_item=382589792218

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Ive also heard of machines with 56 blowers being ran with kohler 40 hp air cooled motors, not sure if Id personally go that route but it would be fairly cheap and an easy swap.
We have a power Genesis that has been recently retired due the fact that threw a rod it has a number 56 blower it had a Ford 4 cylinder and it was absolutely overkill on power. I've done a lot of research on the 56 blower and only requires 22.5 horse run. With the pumps you would need a bit more. Nothing to account for that these us dummies don't think of is the fact that the spins a lot slower(56/2200rpm/47/3000rpm) then 47 so it needs to be pulley down there for increasing the torque and lowering the horsepower requirement. To achieve the same amount of lift. also see use less horsepower it will just do a little less the still do a whole lot more than like a 33 spin as fast as possible.
Here's the main reason manufacturers put big motors with a 56 the heat exchanger requires a tremendous amount to keep up with double wanding so they have to go and steal heat from everywhere they can my machine has three Heat exchangers one on the blower one on the exhaust and two in The coolant system. And it was a nightmare to fix when it broke

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
If it was me id buy a used kubota v2203 off ebay, the its alive machine had one with a 56 and it was an all out beast of a machine. Their pretty cheap far as motors go there's a shit ton of them out there so parts are abundant. Engine mounts would be easy to fab up and it would run for ever.

Last edited:

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
If it was me id buy a used kubota v2203 off ebay, the its alive machine had one with a 56 and it was an all out beast of a machine. Their pretty cheap far as motors go. Engine mounts would be easy to fab up and it would run for ever.
It would definitely work really well!! Those Kubota are very heavy though and cumbersome. But no honesty not a whole lot more than that 4-cylinder Ford I had . We are playing around with a predator 22 with the number 56 it powered it just fine to get it 13 hg no problem. The exhaust so it definitely not work to power heat exchanger it was well under 600 degrees which is a not enough to heat water quick enough. Sometimes I think people are scared of trying things. We were in a time so we discontinued the project for a while what we are planning on doing a predator 56 build just because I know it will work and be just fine. after all I have a truckmount that has a sticker on it says not to go over 12 Hg thats a joke. 56 used to do call 12hg carpet at 1600 RPMs . And what a 56 doesn't have and lift it will definitely make up for and cfm's at lower RPM.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
V2203 is a couple hundred pounds or so.. its prob lighter or as light as the ford vsg 413 thats on there now i believe the v2203 is rated at 47hp or 48hp and its diesel so the torque would be more than enough under load and the max rpms on a 56 is like 2600 or 2800 would put it right in the ideal power curve for that diesel.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
You could even use your existing radiator and air cleaner from the ford...usually they dont sell those with the engine their usually bobcat or reefer unit take offs

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
You could even use your existing radiator and air cleaner from the ford...usually they dont sell those with the engine their usually bobcat or reefer unit take offs
Well that machine was a total messed up clapped-out peace. That 56 we had in it was replaced two years back and only has about 600 hours on it. And the CAT pump is less than a year old and probably has a hundred hours on it. The radiator has been repaired several times it kept getting pin holes. After all machine is from the early 90s. the irony is the Heat exchangers have been removed 10 years ago and Little Giant heater was put in its place. I feel this those Kubota engines are absolutely amazing but unnecessary for the purpose of cleaning carpet. That being said overkill's always a good thing
I know it's not popular but we switch to an EMT and haven't been missing out on much some guys are called a step backwards but we really do like the fact we can take it out in the winter months and not have to worry about are van freezing.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Totally agree on the liquid cooled engines. Especially the diesel. Can't understand why manufacturer's don't use the small diesel engine for a TM anymore. Probably cost and a small amount of cleaners wanting to pay for it. I would take one without heat exchange and a 59 blower any day

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
V2203 is a couple hundred pounds or so.. its prob lighter or as light as the ford vsg 413 thats on there now i believe the v2203 is rated at 47hp or 48hp and its diesel so the torque would be more than enough under load and the max rpms on a 56 is like 2600 or 2800 would put it right in the ideal power curve for that diesel.
No it's definitely lighter and that sucker is very Torquay you would never have to worry about it slowing down and I found the 56 loves being spun at 2200 RPMs I have a lot of experience running them it's like the ideal amount of lift it and cfm's for a single wand if we run to wan's we would bump it up to around 2800 hundred you know there's really no point in having it screaming all the time

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
exhaust fumes and regulations in some states is why not much diesel.

Im looking for a propane motor around 37-40hp so I can switch the judson to a 56... but from what I have seen they only go to 29hp or so