My jet size ?? With pictures | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

My jet size ?? With pictures

Chappy12

Feb 7, 2020
Real Name
Stephen
Hey guys I’m tottally new and I cleaned my own carpets today with my portable extractor.

I’m not sure if the carpets feel too wet or if I just have no idea , I did heaps of dry passes.

Below is my wand and jet size. Are they too big . Seems to pump out the water. Should I go smaller size ?

It’s only a 100psi machine

Jet says 9502 H1 4vv

IMG_5003.JPG
IMG_5004.JPG
IMG_5002.JPG

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
It may just be the extractor doesn't have enough vacuum power. Your cleaning process could have played into it as well. Those are 9502's. (95 degree spray and 02 orifice) You might for now try some 110015's on the wand. You might get better help if we know your machine. What kind of vacuum motor or motors and length of the hose you used can play a part. Proper wand technique and other things make a difference too. My guess w/o knowing more is you may not have adequate vacuum power or you somehow overwet the carpet while cleaning. Once you get some carpets too wet you can do all the dry passes you want to no avail and that goes double if your vacuum is poor, to begin with. You may be able to upgrade your machine with better motors to improve performance and maybe a better pump too. I used 100 psi machines for a number of years and they're fine for light work and upholstery, but I'd rather take a beating than to depend on one to do the kind of work I do now. There needs to be a certain amount of flow and vacuum to do most carpets well w/o killing yourself or leaving the carpets to damp.

If your machine is just not up to snuff as far as vacuum you can go to smaller jet size for now or at least give that a try. You won't be able to put much hose at all on a small extractor with weak vacuum. That will also hinder recovery. There's some guys on here that are geniuses when it comes to portys that may help you more than I can since I don't use them regularly anymore. I started out in 1987 with a single motor Castex with a 100 psi pump. It WAS TOUGH sometimes!

Chappy12

Feb 7, 2020
Real Name
Stephen
Great response thank you.

I cleaned the carpets at 6 pm and i woke up to today and they where nice and dry.

I think i just wasn't sure of expectations.. I have no doubt my Technic (or lack of) is a major player here.

I use a Clarke Alto EXT10 with twin 1100watt motors in series..so 2200watt tottal. 7.5meter hose length.

My question is now.... do you all really use Carpet Fan blowers on every job ? i dont know if i should buy one ???

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

I cleaned the carpets at 6 pm and i woke up to today and they where nice and dry.

I think i just wasn't sure of expectations.. I have no doubt my Technic (or lack of) is a major player here.

I use a Clarke Alto EXT10 with twin 1100watt motors in series..so 2200watt tottal. 7.5meter hose length.

My question is now.... do you all really use Carpet Fan blowers on every job ? i dont know if i should buy one ???
Yes buy them. You dont need the larger ones. The lil snail fans do just fine. I only used them next to walk off areas. So i didnt need to worry about slip and falls. Stair cases too. But i dont leave fans. I just set them up as i move to next area. They are last to be packed up before leaving. Not totally dry but carpet is further along in drying then without fans.
Better way is oreck orbitor with cotton bonnets or pads. This is like towling it off but mechanically. It also removes more soil.

Chappy12

Feb 7, 2020
Real Name
Stephen
I HAVE AN ORECK !!! YES i bought it for $100.. there hard to find in Australia!

Thats awesome im so happy i bought that machine!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I HAVE AN ORECK !!! YES i bought it for $100.. there hard to find in Australia!

Thats awesome im so happy i bought that machine!
Its a great lil machine for residential. I bought pads from challenger op. https://www.challengerop.com/product-category/carpet-cleaning-pads-bonnets/
I think they were 14". They fit their stair tool. But they fit the oreck perfectly. You can also get cotton bonnets from bonnet pro. They have them that size too. https://bonnetpro.com/ironman-long-life-carpet-cleaning-bonnets/

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States

If you're doing this professionally anything you can do to speed the drying of the carpets when necessary is going to help. I'd try to pick up some fans when you can. I don't worry as much about dry times when doing empty apartments or houses. Other times I try to have it pretty dry before I get done with the job. You may be able to upgrade your vacuum motors at some point. That would be fairly easy here, but might be more costly there. More than likely you could get some more powerful motors to give better recovery with the same machine. I'd say you have about as long a hose as that machine can handle right now. I used to use a machine with only about a 5 meter hose for years. It had a single large 3 stage vacuum so more hose just wasn't gonna work. I think you should be able to use your present hose length though.

Having a 175 rpm machine with both brush for pre-scrubbing carpets and bonnets could also be a big help. That will allow you to quickly scrub your prespray in before the extraction of dirtier carpets and to extract the soil more effectively. Bonneting after cleaning may be necessary on some carpets. I suspect there's a lot of wall to wall wool there right? Wool tends to hold on to water so using absorbent bonnets can help with that problem a great deal as well as fans.

Last edited:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Use a toilet paper test to see what moisture you are leaving behind on carpets. 95° angle jets are probably right on that aw29 style wand. If you use a cotton bonnet on wool move quickly until it absorbs some moisture. If you bonnet wool regularly consider oreck brand synthetic bonnets, they rawk on wool, they don't grab hard.