My friend made a filter

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
First day out on the truck with it today, so far I really like it. Unfortunately I wont get a chance to actually use it but ill get feedback from my guy on how it performed. Its 100% water tight, the channels for the vac ports are recessed below the belly of the filter so the water drains directly into them, the lid is a large foam gasket which seals very tight on all sides.

20180212_100801.jpg
20180212_100828.jpg
20180212_102353.jpg

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thats pretty beast looking! If you need a distributor I know one. :)

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Thats pretty beast looking! If you need a distributor I know one. :)
I dont think its really for production sales unfortunately, maybe but it looks like a lot of time welding went into it

Im thinking I want to paint it to match our color scheme and attempt to mount it to the belly of our box truck

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
The feedback from todays work...

- suction was increased so much he told me unless I get a new glide on the wand he hates it... lol from my stand point thats good news.

he said the wand howling was significantly much much louder but he had a lot of trouble with forward strokes due to the wand locking down.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
That looks awsome!!!! Looks well thought out, couldnt stand the clamps on my devastator, looks like you fixed that issue as well as the ring being hard to take out. Love it when people make shit better

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I like it a lot. Can I see a pic inside and with filter out? Can we see a pic of the other side of filter top with foam gasket?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I was thinking about this post while I was working today. I am very curious as to what you replaced this filter with for this test. Simply put, a filter in of itself will not create more suction.

I could see it add suction only if you ran a 2" hose prior to this test and now run the 4 to the door configuration. That would create more suction but there are other filters that will do that too.

Last edited:

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Well it will when there is 0% air loss. Can be hard to tell if your losing some air anywhere because we all run loud equipment.

Also the way in which the water exits from the filter to the waste tank can make a big difference in how fast the filter clears itself.

Even the smallest amount of air leaking makes a huge difference.

I got a chance to run the filter today on 1 job, the only downfall if you need to change filter bags much more often because nothing can slip by the filter basket.

I pulled out the used filter and it had a lot.of really fine mud lining it.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Can be hard to tell if your losing some air anywhere because we all run loud equipment.
I run my Devastator as close to the wand as possible. Very rarely will it go inside the house, but when it does, I can tell that there is no air leakage.

the way in which the water exits from the filter to the waste tank can make a big difference in how fast the filter clears itself.
good point!

nothing can slip by the filter basket.
now that's a hefty claim. How can nothing slip by the filter basket (Im assuming your talking about solids) but you get more suction. Without being a scientist I don't think you can have one without the other.

I admit that I will find very fine sand that will make it through the two Devastator filters but that's ok because that form of solids very easily rinse out of the waste tank.

Not knocking your filter, just playing devils advocate. Im always interested in a new and improved doodah

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
I like it a lot. But I have a question... if you're going to make a custom welded filter, how about making one that fits right in to the waste tank filter basket location as opposed to in-line? No matter what, an inline filter will always leak inside the truck and that's why I don't run one. But if there was an attachment like this that I could fit right in to my prochem waste tank filter basket location, I'd love it.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I like it a lot. But I have a question... if you're going to make a custom welded filter, how about making one that fits right in to the waste tank filter basket location as opposed to in-line? No matter what, an inline filter will always leak inside the truck and that's why I don't run one. But if there was an attachment like this that I could fit right in to my prochem waste tank filter basket location, I'd love it.
Totally agree. I would rather have my filter in my waste tank. I would have a big ass one that wouldn't need cleaned until the end of the day. Filter outside the waste tank is more labor hooking it up, cleaning every job and possible leaks. Big ass filter Inside waste tank takes all labor, cleaning and the leakage away. Cleaning once at the end of a work day would be great. I had one big ass sock filter on my Steam Action that would not need cleaning until the end of the day. It was so long that it hit the bottom of the waste tank to support the weight of the crap that it caught. lasted for years. Just needed to be more micro to catch smaller particles.

Last edited:

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
not sure I would want to dig in my waste tank every day after cleaning. Unless I run into a highly unusual situation, I just switch the filters out once a day.

My new stainless steel Devastator does not leak so no problems there. Empties at the end of the job, lightweight, double duty as a 4 to the door Y.

To each his own though.

I do love the ingenuity that comes out in this industry though!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I have my filters on the ground outside of the van, so if it leaks a little it is no big deal.

I would not want to have to get inside the waste tank to service it.

If it leaks a little it does not affect the vacuum enough to make any difference. My setup has a controlled air leak on purpose in the vacuum system to reduce wear and tear on components, and still produces screaming vacuum to 2 wands.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I have my filters on the ground outside of the van, so if it leaks a little it is no big deal.

I would not want to have to get inside the waste tank to service it.

If it leaks a little it does not affect the vacuum enough to make any difference. My setup has a controlled air leak on purpose in the vacuum system to reduce wear and tear on components, and still produces screaming vacuum to 2 wands.
I would have to disagree with that. Even the smallest little air leak makes a huge huge difference. I have heard Tom Conway saying this for a long time.

We had the same, very small air leaking from filter.. the second this new filter was connected with the same wand it was a huge struggle to move it across the same carpet.

Wand was locking down, when off the carpet the howling was significantly louder. Huge performance increase.

Every little tiny air leak matters, even if you dont think its that much your losing.. it is.

Latest posts