My first porty job with a melt down

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
So my first job out with this unit was a melt down , get half way thru one room I see water smoke comming out of one of the exsuhst ports so I feel for pressure and one was dead , I shut down and re start and im running again well at the end of cleaning the home owner a friend unplugs his extension cord and shows me this . So I pluged it in a light strip with a outlet that was pluged into a real outlet. .
Anyways not much harm thank god .
My wand is a 11002 dual jet TMF that barly got the job done even with 220 psi .
So I came home and checked my single jet wand that kicks ass on a 60 psi that works fine . It is a single 11010 jet that absolutely does super job of cleaning very well .
So if you want real cleaning try a single jet 11010 .
20151204_104006.jpg
20151204_104034.jpg

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
The advantage to using the single jet wand with 10? flow at 60 psi is you don't need a pump, just hook directly to the shower and use house pressure.

That is my guess? Is that what you do?

Do you have both vac motors and the pump on one circuit?

That extension cord is ugly...

Reactions: Joe cool

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
The advantage to using the single jet wand with 10? flow at 60 psi is you don't need a pump, just hook directly to the shower and use house pressure.

That is my guess? Is that what you do?

Do you have both vac motors and the pump on one circuit?

That extension cord is ugly...
My old porty wand is a 11010 single jet , works way better then the OEM wand . 20 amp single cord Mytee 200 speedster

Last edited:

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
How long was the extension cord? I use 10 Gauge 3 conductor (expensive but well worth the money) and nothing over 25 feet. Secondly, always make sure the receptacle you are plugging the cord into can handle the high amperage a porty is going to use. They pull enough amps that they usually are just below the trip threshold for a 20 amp breaker. A lot of porty units pull about 17 to 18 amps. Thirdly, make sure when you do use any electrical cord that you lay it out so that it is not coiled up. When you have a coil of wire you have created an inductor which creates a fire hazard. Fourthly, you put a ton of wear and tear on your porty motors when you use those 14 or 16 gauge extension cords. When you have a voltage decrease you will have an amperage increase which will suck the life right out of you electric motors.

Last edited:

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
I would rewire that porty. Put each vac on its own cord and the pump on one of the cords with it.

Then you are going to find two circuits, one in the bathroom and one out and never have a problem with popping circuits as you will have 8 amps on one and 10 or 12 on the other.--- Way easier. Most anybody could rewire that beast for you.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
So my first job out with this unit was a melt down , get half way thru one room I see water smoke comming out of one of the exsuhst ports so I feel for pressure and one was dead , I shut down and re start and im running again well at the end of cleaning the home owner a friend unplugs his extension cord and shows me this . So I pluged it in a light strip with a outlet that was pluged into a real outlet. .
My wand is a 11002 dual jet TMF that barly got the job done even with 220 psi .
So I came home and checked my single jet wand that kicks ass on a 60 psi that works fine . It is a single 11010 jet that absolutely does super job of cleaning very well .
So if you want real cleaning try a single jet 11010 .
View attachment 57022 View attachment 57023

My wand is a 11002 dual jet TMF that barly got the job done even with 220 psi . A pair of 02 s ? Cut that down to a pair of 01s and use t jets with a screen. Trigger on forward and return stroke (flush both sides ) then do a dry stroke. You'll be fine.
If your vacuum is weak then scratch the above and throw that extractor in the Mirage pool or retool with better vacuum motors.

So if you want real cleaning try a single jet 11010

. A pair of 02 s ? Cut that down to a pair of 01s and use t jets with a screen. Trigger on forward and return stroke (flush both sides ) then do a dry stroke. You'll be fine.
If your vacuum is weak then scratch the above and throw that extractor in the Mirage pool or retool with better vacuum motors

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States

Funny......Is that one of those Ridgid extension cords with the indicator light on ONLY (Although BOTH ends are clear).......the female end?

Had the same exact thing happen recently on one of those Ridgid extension cords where one of the probes melted down.

I just replaced it a few weeks ago.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Funny......Is that one of those Ridgid extension cords with the indicator light on ONLY (Although BOTH ends are clear).......the female end?

Had the same exact thing happen recently on one of those Ridgid extension cords where one of the probes melted down.

I just replaced it a few weeks ago.
I threw one off a porch once. it was a 3 plug one. it hit the ground and shot sparks out of it. melted everything in a second. the plug to a saw and the air compressor plug. it all just melted together. I just stood there like wtf was that about. idk. maybe has to do with that light bulb in it. idk.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Dual 3 stage
One cord
like Rick said. I would split it up. really not difficult. 1 cord pump and vac. the new cord to the other vac. completely seperate circuits. if there the low amp motors. you may be able to plug them into any outlet. so long as there's nothing on at same time. the one with the pump would most likely need 20a. but the single motor should work on any unused circuit.