My DIY APO for under $150

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
It looks like the one on my machine it should work if you have a certain amount of water in the tank. Mine is similar not sure what brand but came with the truck mount and still working I thought it wouldn't last.

Adding the automatic switches will help a lot so you can clean and pump out as you clean.

earl804

May 16, 2014
York PA
www.susclean.com
Real Name
alex c
Business Location
United States
Still working, I have no complaints. If I had the money I would buy the real deal, but this this is working fine.

Hey damon bringing this back from the dead, has been a year, obviously a lot has changed in the last year, are u using this W your 870? If not did it die on you?

And what are you doing for apo if not using this, thanks man got a 950 gph pond pump was going to rig up something for my 370

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Hey damon bringing this back from the dead, has been a year, obviously a lot has changed in the last year, are u using this W your 870? If not did it die on you?

And what are you doing for apo if not using this, thanks man got a 950 gph pond pump was going to rig up something for my 370

Is your pump 12V?

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I built this one with a 12v Harbour Freight pump, about $100. In it.
So far it works great, I hook up a garden hose, and I can run it into a toilet if need be.
Some jobs are more sensitive than others.
I'm on here trying to figure out how I'm going to automate it now, with a manual operation option.
Thanks for all the posts guys!!

Attachments

• 1456674892881.jpg
    1456674892881.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States

Hey Earl, when I got the Sapphire I ended up getting the real APO system as well. Since I could finance it all into the loan I figured I just go full out with electric hose reel and a real APO system. As for the old one. I'm going to keep that on my Dragon when I get the Dragon back.

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
I built this one with a 12v Harbour Freight pump, about $100. In it.
So far it works great, I hook up a garden hose, and I can run it into a toilet if need be.
Some jobs are more sensitive than others.
I'm on here trying to figure out how I'm going to automate it now, with a manual operation option.
Thanks for all the posts guys!!
You can make it automated by adding a piggy back float in your waste tank. They sell them at lowe's and Home Depot.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I got one @Nomad74 ,I just need to figure out how and where I'm going to install it. I'm also planning to install a dpdt switch that will enable me to run it manually, so I can pump it out when it's only partially full.

Reactions: Nomad74

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
go to Harbor Freight and pick up a 1000 gph bilge pump that runs off the 12 volts in your van. It is much easier.
I got the transfer pump from HF, the one with the spring clips to clip onto the battery terminals.
I just snipped them off, and thew them away.
So far it works good, just don't let it run dry, it will burn up the impeller.

earl804

May 16, 2014
York PA
www.susclean.com
Real Name
alex c
Business Location
United States
Well i hooked up my pond pump. No check valve only a shut off, couldnt find the check valve at HD. Definitely does not want to pump w TM running, even w the TM turned down to idle it was only a trickle coming out of the hose. With the TM turned off it pumps fine.

Its a 950 gph unit which at zero ft of lift is about 1/2 the flow of the smallest sump pump you can get. The 1/4 horsepower sump pumps are 3.3 amps and 1800 gph. This is 950 and 1.6 amps. So its a pretty small pump and probably a little undersized.

But, in a pinch it will allow me to empty my waste tank to a sewer line/toilet on a large job.

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Well i hooked up my pond pump. No check valve only a shut off, couldnt find the check valve at HD. Definitely does not want to pump w TM running, even w the TM turned down to idle it was only a trickle coming out of the hose. With the TM turned off it pumps fine.

Its a 950 gph unit which at zero ft of lift is about 1/2 the flow of the smallest sump pump you can get. The 1/4 horsepower sump pumps are 3.3 amps and 1800 gph. This is 950 and 1.6 amps. So its a pretty small pump and probably a little undersized.

But, in a pinch it will allow me to empty my waste tank to a sewer line/toilet on a large job.

I think the key is to have the inlet to the pump under a few inches of water when it comes on.

Wec

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
dustin denton
You can also put a t before the check valve right after the pump and run a 1/4 line to the waste tank
And have a small amount of water running back to the tank
Makes priming way easier to

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I used a 12v macerator pump, two float switches and relays. When the water rises above the 2nd switch the pump stays on until the first switch closes.
This makes the pump kick on for about 10 mins at a time instead of cycling constantly on / off with only 1 float.

Sent from my EVO using TMF Forums mobile app

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
I used a 12v macerator pump, two float switches and relays. When the water rises above the 2nd switch the pump stays on until the first switch closes.
This makes the pump kick on for about 10 mins at a time instead of cycling constantly on / off with only 1 float.

Sent from my EVO using TMF Forums mobile app

You wouldn't happen to have a drawing or diagram of the wiring?

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Here is the wiring diagram for the float switch side. Then you add another relay for the pump-out pump.
I also put a red light on the TM dashboard so I could see when the pump was engaged, and a manual over-ride switch so I could turn the pump on if the water never reached the upper float.

I bought the pump on Amazon
The relays too HERE
These FLOATS are threaded on the outside of the tank which makes installation easier.

BTW, I'm sure a simpler relay system can be devised using a double pole relay, but frankly I'm no electronics engineer and I had tried multiple configurations until I found this one. It works great!

Attachments

• circuit-for-float-switch-sump-pump-controller.jpg
    circuit-for-float-switch-sump-pump-controller.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited: