Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
my chemical pump is priming but im not getting any chemical any ideas
The priming really doesn't mean anything because the pump relies on the vacuum of the machine to do the priming part. Pretty sure that's true on all truck mounts with both the old and new style chem pumps. Chances are you have a worn or bad diaphragm or an air leak in the system somewhere. Over time that diaphragm wears out and can even get a hole worn all the way through it. Remember it is under high pressure coming off your water pump. It is normally best to go ahead and change out your check valves and o-rings when you change out the diaphragm since you'll have to remove the chem pump when you do it. That helps to insure that you'll go a lot longer between problems.

If the check valves still seem to look good and function you might keep them as spare parts. Sometimes they come in handy. I would suggest rebuilding the chem pump first. It is not that hard nor too expensive. Be sure to inspect for loose connections or any possible air leaks from the hoses going to and from the chem pump. Particularly the ones going to the Dwyer meter. There are other things that can cause the chem pump not to function, but I'd say the diaphragm is by a long shot the most frequent cause, specially if you operate at very high pressures like a 1,000 psi or more on a regular basis. Last year I couldn't get mine working no matter what I did and it turned out my 3 way chemical selector valve was bad, but I seriously doubt that's your problem unless you have a fairly old machine.

Btw, there is a special check valve that comes off your high pressure pump that your chem pump connects to that is special. I would be sure to inspect it and make sure it opens and closes as it should. Again, best to get a new one and keep the old if it still looks ok. Your chem pump will not function if that check valve goes bad. Be advised that when you pull that check valve out of your pump a fair amount of water will leak out of the pump! Better have some way to catch it.

Reactions: sbsscn

Rory henderson

Sep 22, 2015
Real Name
Rory henderson
The priming really doesn't mean anything because the pump relies on the vacuum of the machine to do the priming part. Pretty sure that's true on all truck mounts with both the old and new style chem pumps. Chances are you have a worn or bad diaphragm or an air leak in the system somewhere. Over time that diaphragm wears out and can even get a hole worn all the way through it. Remember it is under high pressure coming off your water pump. It is normally best to go ahead and change out your check valves and o-rings when you change out the diaphragm since you'll have to remove the chem pump when you do it. That helps to insure that you'll go a lot longer between problems.

If the check valves still seem to look good and function you might keep them as spare parts. Sometimes they come in handy. I would suggest rebuilding the chem pump first. It is not that hard nor too expensive. Be sure to inspect for loose connections or any possible air leaks from the hoses going to and from the chem pump. Particularly the ones going to the Dwyer meter. There are other things that can cause the chem pump not to function, but I'd say the diaphragm is by a long shot the most frequent cause, specially if you operate at very high pressures like a 1,000 psi or more on a regular basis. Last year I couldn't get mine working no matter what I did and it turned out my 3 way chemical selector valve was bad, but I seriously doubt that's your problem unless you have a fairly old machine.

Btw, there is a special check valve that comes off your high pressure pump that your chem pump connects to that is special. I would be sure to inspect it and make sure it opens and closes as it should. Again, best to get a new one and keep the old if it still looks ok. Your chem pump will not function if that check valve goes bad. Be advised that when you pull that check valve out of your pump a fair amount of water will leak out of the pump! Better have some way to catch it.
thanks alot but this is a brand new chem pump

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
thanks alot but this is a brand new chem pump
Check your PSI, and also make sure the screen pick up is not blocked. Sometimes during priming the vacuum is drawing the rinse but when you turn the valve to on it will be slow to draw because there is obstruction.

Reactions: Rory henderson

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Tighten all hose clamps. If there is the slightest air leak it will not work. Also take the hose coming directly off the pump, the hose going to the meter, and run the machine like normal to make sure it is primed.

Reactions: Rory henderson

Rory henderson

Sep 22, 2015
Real Name
Rory henderson
Check your PSI, and also make sure the screen pick up is not blocked. Sometimes during priming the vacuum is drawing the rinse but when you turn the valve to on it will be slow to draw because there is obstruction.
thanks im going to do that

Rory henderson

Sep 22, 2015
Real Name
Rory henderson
Tighten all hose clamps. If there is the slightest air leak it will not work. Also take the hose coming directly off the pump, the hose going to the meter, and run the machine like normal to make sure it is primed.
thanks im going to handle it

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States