Must haves for residential window cleaning?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I have the perfect opportunity it get my feet wet in window cleaning. I have a regular dusty who spends half his time in Australia and the other half in Palos Verdes. I do their carpets and upholstery. They usually just leave a lock box for me to go to and I let myself in and clean away.

Now they want their windows clean and I'm thinking this is the perfect time for em to give this a go. No one will be there watching me make a fool of myself.

So can anyone tell me the necessary tools I'll need? I'm in the process of ordering a gang of stuff from Jon Don right now so I'm hoping I can get the stuff from the,

Any advice to tips is appreciated. Thanks!

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Squeegee, Glass Gleam, rectangular bucket, surgical huck towels, scrubber, pole(s) and a flexible wrist.

Feb 26, 2012
arizona
Real Name
clyde esprit
Business Location
United States
Man just shadow a window cleaner for a short time
Or call a window cleaner you know, give home the job, and let him know what is happening
We are professionals
You don't just get a mop, squeegee, pole and say you are a window claner

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
A book called "How To Make Money Everyday In The Window Cleaning Business" will teach you everything you need to know. And you get that from me. Until then here is a simplified list... something to wet the windows like this: http://www.jondon.com/raptor-quick-connect-hard-surface-tool.html oh and so yourself a favor and get a t-bar like this one: http://www.jondon.com/unger-swivel-strip-t-bar.html The swivel comes in handy all the time. This is my fave squeegee blade: http://www.window-cleaning-supply.com/squeegee-channel-sorbo-wide-body-quick-silver-starting-at/ Get one 6" one 14" one 18" and if you like get handles for each or swap the blades and only get one handle. Now put all that in one of these two buckets. http://www.window-cleaning-supply.com/squeegee-channel-sorbo-wide-body-quick-silver-starting-at/ http://www.jondon.com/bucket-on-a-belt-classic.html Now go watch some youtube vids about it.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I have the perfect opportunity it get my feet wet in window cleaning. I have a regular dusty who spends half his time in Australia and the other half in Palos Verdes. I do their carpets and upholstery. They usually just leave a lock box for me to go to and I let myself in and clean away.

Now they want their windows clean and I'm thinking this is the perfect time for em to give this a go. No one will be there watching me make a fool of myself.

So can anyone tell me the necessary tools I'll need? I'm in the process of ordering a gang of stuff from Jon Don right now so I'm hoping I can get the stuff from the,

Don't buy from Jon don buy from abc window cleaning supply. I've been cleaning windows for over 30 years. I can make you a list. Practice practice practice.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
A book called "How To Make Money Everyday In The Window Cleaning Business" will teach you everything you need to know. And you get that from me. Until then here is a simplified list... something to wet the windows like this: http://www.jondon.com/raptor-quick-connect-hard-surface-tool.html oh and so yourself a favor and get a t-bar like this one: http://www.jondon.com/unger-swivel-strip-t-bar.html The swivel comes in handy all the time. This is my fave squeegee blade: http://www.window-cleaning-supply.com/squeegee-channel-sorbo-wide-body-quick-silver-starting-at/ Get one 6" one 14" one 18" and if you like get handles for each or swap the blades and only get one handle. Now put all that in one of these two buckets. http://www.window-cleaning-supply.com/squeegee-channel-sorbo-wide-body-quick-silver-starting-at/ http://www.jondon.com/bucket-on-a-belt-classic.html Now go watch some youtube vids about it.
Ken how much pressure do you like to use on the glass with that turbo force? Any heat?

GoFresh

Jul 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
www.everestcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Szymon Tylka
Business Location
United States
Make sure you get some quality rubber, we only use Ettore, you won't have to replace it after every job like most of the other brands.
A purewater system always comes in handy if you can spend some extra money.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States

How far are you from corona ca. My step father jerry owns a janitorial supply store. His squeegee soap is famous. He will show you what you need and teach you how to clean windows. He's been in the business since 1967. He's a great guy.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Johnny I'll give you a ride along anytime buddy just call me, I have windows almost everyday.
Damn Martin is there anything you don't do?

chad9229

Jul 25, 2014
I did residential Windows for high end homes for 5 years while I was in college. Easy money if you can get the high end customers. Bucket on a belt is essential, razor blade with a handle is good. Good sturdy 4ft or 6ft step ladder. You need two different type of towels, your slop towel over one shoulder and your medical scrub blue towel over the other. Slop towel is to dry squeegee before you put it to another window plus to wipe down window seals. Scrub towel is to wipe the edges. A good scrubbing mop with handle is essential. Good set of ear phones to listen to your favorite tunes or sports talk. Many other tips I can give you. I would pick washing windows over carpet any day.

Nov 24, 2015
Sydney
www.cleanmywindows.com.au
Real Name
Eugene
Business Location
Australia
The basics tools you need to clean your windows well are:
  • bucket
  • rags
  • ladder
  • dishwashing detergent: Often commercial bought window cleaning fluid is a needless expense and not as good
  • squeegee: a good quality squeegee is essential
  • window cleaners mop head
  • window cleaners pole: depending on how high your windows are

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
The basics tools you need to clean your windows well are:
  • bucket
  • rags
  • ladder
  • dishwashing detergent: Often commercial bought window cleaning fluid is a needless expense and not as good
  • squeegee: a good quality squeegee is essential
  • window cleaners mop head
  • window cleaners pole: depending on how high your windows are
Some soaps are good but nothing like the squeegee soap my stepfather makes nothing. I've tried them all.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Well thanks for al the links and tips and help fellows. I went and just bought a bunch of stuff from a small local janitorial supply store. I wanted to help out the little guy.

Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Johnny I'll give you a ride along anytime buddy just call me, I have windows almost everyday.
This is something I thought about doing in the warmer months up my way.
No one in my area offers it and annually we have someone come out from out of the area and do windows at our house and a few others on the street.
Question
Do you usually also do the inside of the windows too?
My wife always has them come inside and do that as well.
To me it is only half a job if they are only washed on the outside.
Also if washing inside , you need to take screens off.
Extra care obviously from splashes etc when inside windows are done.
How does one look after the detailing of the inside windows ?
Grant

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
This is something I thought about doing in the warmer months up my way.
No one in my area offers it and annually we have someone come out from out of the area and do windows at our house and a few others on the street.
Question
Do you usually also do the inside of the windows too?
My wife always has them come inside and do that as well.
To me it is only half a job if they are only washed on the outside.
Also if washing inside , you need to take screens off.
Extra care obviously from splashes etc when inside windows are done.
How does one look after the detailing of the inside windows ?
Grant
Good idea Grant . Money to be made . Slickest system I've ever seen used deionized water . Whole unit fits on a dolly in the van . Water poles and brushes and hoses take up the rest of the room .
Larger panes ( office buildings ) Ettore Squeegee Off does a beautiful job inside or out . Residential and smaller panes I like SprayWay glass cleaner . Does a great job with a microfiber towel and smell is wonderful . Dang stuff smells so good I want to lick it off the glass !! Think that's a NO , NO !! LOL !! I just spray some on a separate towel and wipe the frames etc. down .
All the Best, Ed