Movie Theater Cleaning

e9er

Nov 30, 2009
oooo
Real Name
none
Business Location
United States
Has anyone cleaned these, Whats the profit on these kind of accounts generally, What routine do you have from start to fininsh to complete the cleanings nightly.

Dave Y

Carpet Cleaner
Jul 14, 2008
Real Name
Dave Yokum
Business Location
United States
I bid the theaters here for $2 bucks per seat and the price was too high.

For the production it takes you'll need 2-3 people.

1 to spray and fast scrub to precondition the seats and 1 to give them a rince.You could have another to keep equipment in place and post towel the seats.

Plan to spend less than 1 minute per seat to keep your head above water.

After the overhead the margin will be very thin.

Depending on your area you may have to go $1-1.50 per seat.

I use this method to clean 500-1000 seats at a time.

It's crazy how theaters charge $8 per ticket. $5 a drink, $6 a popcorn. But, they will only pay a buck or two every other year or so to get their seats cleaned.

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
I would not clean a heavy soiled medium chair for a buck. Nope. Not even if it were a thousand seats.

We did a sixplex a few years ago with a porty, took three of us 8 hours, but that was no seats, just carpets.

The sixplex closed a year later when they built a bigger, newer one. Havent been able to get a bid in there yet.
But if they wont pay 2 bucks a seat then I'd rather not do it.

Aug 10, 2009
California
Real Name
Juan Carlos Lopez
Business Location
United States
i have a friend who has an account with one movie theather, they clean it from 3am to 7am with two people, he said that the contractor does mmake money but for him he only gets 3000.00 per month,( depending on the size) but he has to clean it every day.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I clean the carpets at a movie theater and have talked to the janitors. They have to be cleaned 365 nights a year, there are 12 theaters with about 2500 seats. They do it with 3 people each night, start in the lobby around 10 each night and when I clean the carpets they bounce around 2. They are kind of older and move real slow but I would not want to do it.

e9er

Nov 30, 2009
oooo
Real Name
none
Business Location
United States
Do they use electric blowers, to get under seats?

e9er

Nov 30, 2009
oooo
Real Name
none
Business Location
United States
Proteam makes a reversible motor backpack, I haven't used one.... Wondering if it works.

AllBizSupport

Mar 6, 2011
Louisiana
Real Name
Shancy Reid
I am about to close a movie theater cleaning deal and it's for 1,200 to 1,500 seats for $2,400 per month, not including concession stand.
Is this a good price? How many people will it take? What equipment do I need? What's the fastest way to get it done?

Timothy

Aug 14, 2010
KENTUCKY
Real Name
Timothy Jackson
Business Location
United States
I use to do theaters back with former company, I hated it because all the dang gum on the carpets and the boss didn't have any tools to aid in removal, thats one of the first things I bought when I opened my business, I would probably take them on, I might even email them with a deal!

jcenny24

Apr 11, 2010
Real Name
Jarrett Center
Business Location
United States
I clean offices but would think maybe you can get some good profit considering the size

TheaterCleaner

Nov 27, 2012
Real Name
David Marlowe
You guys are missing something here. "theatre cleaning" really has 2 distinct parts.

1) there is the daily cleaning side - mopping, vacuuming, general cleanup. Bathrooms, sidewalks, exterior cleanup may also be part of that. There may be weekly/monthly related parts as well - be very clear when you write your contracts. Your workers can be low paid drones, mostly unable to make desisions or proactively promote the well-being of your company.

2) the "specialty" tasks, are usually best left to anybody *but* the janitorial staff. Screen cleaning, hi-wall, ceiling, HVAC and fan dusting, masking cleaning and repair, seat upholstery cleaning, curtains cleaning/dusting. There are less-frequent, higher ticket and require a semi-aware person who knows that the end result affects whether they can get paid again "next year". A $7/hr worker will rush through these tasks and make you (and the industry) look bad. A motivated crew taking %70+ of the job cost will have a vested interest in doing it right.

Seats are labor and time intensive, but if you have your system tweaked right, there's good money in it and you don't have to charge $2 per seat. (But if you do, please let me know what market you're in :)

At $3k/mo for the first bit above, only an owner can decide if $100/day will keep a half competent employee and leave something for the "house". But it's the guys with the leaf-blowers that really help me sell screen cleaning, so don't change a thing.

If you run into a theater manager who wants all of the above from one source - run away. Price shoppers are always more trouble than they're worth.

BESJohn

Dec 5, 2011
South Carolina
Real Name
John Pence, Jr.
Business Location
United States
We used to do general cleaning in a movie theater for years. It was a major pain, being the middle of the night. Like said before, the amount of gum you have to scrape up was ridiculous. Mutually decided to part ways when they wanted lower cost.
We recently had another theater referred to us and we passed on it. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. We actually referred it to a husband and wife who were applying for a job with us. They had theater experience.