Moth's in Wool Rug

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 27, 2015
Columbia, South Carolina
Real Name
Austin Royal
Business Location
United States
I have a customer who has a moth problem on her wool rugs. They have began to eat the wool and are all over the place. I have searched threads and nothing recent I can find about this? Is this as simple as cleaning and treating for them? Any help would be appreciated. I can upload pictures but not sure how much that would help.

Thanks

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
A key issues is to prevent one infested rug from infesting others. Moths, especially in the egg and larvae stages are difficult to completely remove. It usually requires a pest control company with the proper permits to get rid of them once established. In most jurisdictions it is illegal to claim to kill insects if you are not properly licensed to do so.

They can be killed by freezing below 0 for an extend time (several days). Or they can be killed chemically.

Prevention is better. Dirty wool attracts moths and clean wool not so much. But once the eggs are there and the larvae hatch, they will eat whatever is around them.

The best prevention:
  • Keeping rugs clean
  • Keeping rugs where they are exposed to traffic, air flow, sunlight and such. Moths will lay eggs on the part of a rug under furniture or in an unused room
  • If anything does get infested, there are likely moths throughout the home. Pest control needs to get all areas including attics, under eaves and such.
  • Master Blend and Chem Max makes moth repellents, not moth-proof, called Repel and Resist.
If you want a full article on how to deal with moths, send an email request to slewis@interlinksupply.com with your name and company name.

Rug Cleaners - Remember the next hands-on rug washing class is in San Diego Nov 7th - 9th.

Latest posts