Moldy hoses. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Moldy hoses.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
So I just noticed that the supply hoses to and from my fresh tank and to my pump on my machine have a little mold in them. My lines are food grade 3/4 “ clear braided hoses. This common? Are you guys replacing them so often or cleaning them somehow. I bought new ones but are there a type that this doesn’t happen to? I tossed the black ones my machine came with because I wanted to be able to see when they got dirty and I’ve changed them once already

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
nope, never have had to change one let alone have mold on it

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I bought new ones but are there a type that this doesn’t happen to? I tossed the black ones my machine came with because I wanted to be able to see when they got dirty and I’ve changed them once already
Now you know why they put black ones on to begin with, lol. Alas, I don't know of ANY brand of hose that would have an antimicrobial built into it that would be strong enough to prevent growth in your lines - getting them clean and dry on occasion, with a little light bleach rinse now and then, is the best you can do. Just make sure to rinse-rinse-rinse when you're done!

Reactions: Ed Cruz

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Rinse with a little bleach
I’m just gonna replace them and be done with it. I don’t want to run bleach through the machine or get a clog or something trying to flush it out. I’d I’m gonna pull them to rinse them I might as well buy new ones for twenty bucks. I’m gonna scrub my tank too. I noticed a lot of crap on the bottom.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
nope, never have had to change one let alone have mold on it
Could be algae who knows? So your lines experience no build up of anything year after year? Hard to believe.

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
I can't really see it being mold. Mold needs a food source and rubber isn't really one.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I can't really see it being mold. Mold needs a food source and rubber isn't really one.
It could well be - certain mycorrhizal fungi feast on phosphorus, which is pervasive in carpet cleaning chemicals. It may also be bacteria, which can also be dark, slimy, and unpleasant. Hard to say which it is, but since both are undesirable microbial growth it's best to just get rid of them no matter what they are.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Than
It could well be - certain mycorrhizal fungi feast on phosphorus, which is pervasive in carpet cleaning chemicals. It may also be bacteria, which can also be dark, slimy, and unpleasant. Hard to say which it is, but since both are undesirable microbial growth it's best to just get rid of them no matter what they are.
thanks. Yeah I’m changing them out tomorrow.

Reactions: smart n kleen

Latest posts