Mildew issues

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by Avdo, Apr 20, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Avdo

Avdo Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Male
    Ratings:
    +532 / 3 / -0
    Hello guys. I need some help with mildew. Cleaned carpet couple of day ago. Customer just called saying basement smells like mildew. Not sure what went wrong. Had fans and did plenty of dry passes. This is the first time it happened to me. Anybody can give any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,496 / 0 / -0
    Basements chronically have moisture control issues, due to the fact that the air in them is generally cooler than the air in the rest of the structure, and as cooler basement air contacts warmer air from the rest of the house it makes the warmer air "let go" of some of its moisture load in the form of condensation. Also, many have ground-contact leaching in the floor and walls (this also means that Mother Nature's busy little helpers, the microbes, have a virtual highway from the soil directly into the walls).

Any amount of moisture left in a basement carpet can cause a bloom of growth since the mold and (in some cases) mildew is already present, but not actively reproducing. You did not cause the mold to grow. It was already there, but now it has enough excessive moisture to start multiplying and engaging in colony wars, lol.

You will likely need to bring in a dehumidifier and watch the relative humidity til it comes back down to dry standard. Air flow will help with this, but air flow alone, especially with convection happening from the basement up, probably won't drop the humidity quickly enough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,248 / 11 / -1
    Good response from Mama Fen. Glad I did not have to type all that.

One more point regarding the use of air movers in a basement. If you place them like you would in another part of the home, you end up blowing humid air around with no place for it to exchange with dryer air or to drop its humidity.

I suggest using air movers at windows if the basement has them. Otherwise make a pathway of air up the stairs and into dry air in the outdoors or another part of the home. A nice feature of some air movers is they cna tilt at 45 degree angle to move air up the stairs.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,295 / 11 / -0
    You need to print off Mamma's Response and text it to the lady, because although I have never actually seen a basement in my life I can understand the ordeal your going thru...

Awesome Mamma !!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,295 / 11 / -0
    Totally correct , I have changed my train of thought to the one you just mentioned in the last year,, because a dehuey could solve multitudes of problems..

Scott when are yall having a sale on Dehueys?

I did a cat pee job in a bedroom at a house Scott, did the pet job, lady called back,, went back and replaced the pad at my cost, did another pet job on both sides of the carpet,,, she called back, went back again with black light and moisture detector and used Enzall and did 2 wet passes and 10 dry passes,,, she called back... so I went back and explained that its been raining for 2 weeks almost straight rain... humidity levels off the chart here right now... I left a dehuey over nite ,,,, she called and said the smell is totally gone... Im gonna leave that dehuey there over the weekend...

I want to buy 4 more

6. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,248 / 11 / -1
    I am sure you salesperson in Houston will make a good deal to sell 4 dehus.

I can't sell anything, but let me know if you need contact info. And do tell whomever you deal with that I sent you. I helps with job security for the bosses to know someone reads what I put out there.

7. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,295 / 11 / -0
    do you have the mgr name at interlink Houston? I sure will scott,,, You are like a walking talking cleaning knowledge book !

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,248 / 11 / -1
    Todd Maxwell is the regional manager for all the Texas and Arizona stores. He is sometimes is in Houston and sometimes at other locations.

Patricia Mitchell is the local site manager for our Houston store.
    2522 Fairway Park Drive Houston TX 77092 713 464-1147

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,295 / 11 / -0
    Thank you Scott