Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Just assume all of it is and treat it as such

Yup. I’ve been seeing more and more MDF here too. Almost all homes built in the last 10 years have MDF, even the upscale houses.
These are not my pics but a member on FB. We do mostly only upscale homes and never came across it. But I know its just a matter of time

Trust me, it’s coming. I see house after house being remodeled and almost every one is putting in MDF.

MDF is pure evil.....

Don Sargent

Dec 20, 2014
Real Name
Don Sargent
When cleaning tile and grout how do you determine it’s MDF fiber board and what’s best way to protect it while cleaning the tile and grout? We have yet to come across it in Va but a cleaner sent me this last night. Looks to me like it’s ruined. Am I right?

9ca59d2bc662e8a0ff9536e26db8c09e.jpg

c21f731177cda26a1b0d1ad63007a71f.jpg

ab169c586688e4b29cc3ec0fc92b61d3.jpg

Don Sargent

Dec 20, 2014
Real Name
Don Sargent
This is exactly why you dont spray your tile and grout cleaner down, flat mop it on and be a professional.
[/QUOTEF
FLat mopping is ok, I do a lot of wood restoration and mostly removing. Wax off of wood flooring that dosent Belong there, using wax strippers have to dwell and also have to keep reapplying to get all the wax off of the floor. Taping MDF helps but is not fully affective because you have too seal the bottom of the base board to keep the water out and also taping if the paint was just sprayed on will pull off the paint too. What I have done is added a service to Caulk the base to seal the water from impregnating the base board. I explain to the client that these things could happen and offer this service yes it takes longer but for some insurance caulking the base board there helps. Hard to keep from pooling when your scrubbing the floor and also doing the edges by hand then rinse and extract. Weather mopping down your agents or spraying then we have still run across this issue on MDF board, and trust me I have replaced more than I care to admit, but I also have my clients sign a waver in this too. Sitting down with the client and explaining this will also help too so there are no surprises in the end

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
you can pretty much prevent any water getting in at least when doing tile by mopping the grout cleaner on, pouring ribbons in center of floor and working only very thin amounts of liquid towards the edges.. so when you run the flat mop along baseboard the mop is just barely wet.

removing wax from hardwoods I can see you would need a lot more liquid moving around plus all the slurry you get.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
This is really becoming a bigger issue. Cleaners keep sending me pics.

IMG_3459.JPG

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3461.JPG

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
This is really becoming a bigger issue. Cleaners keep sending me pics.

View attachment 96845

View attachment 96846

View attachment 96847
Most of us install water proof base in bathrooms. And i always use paintable vinyl shoe mould anymore where theres hard surface like LVP. So homeowners can get close to base when cleaning. Im not a fan of just base. Some are. But i think the extra shoe gives the base more detail. And just looks better.

Being the same mdf is used in carpeted areas. Tells me the water is pooling under base and being left too long. Cause we dont really see this problem where carpets have been cleaned.

mdf isnt going anywhere. And is being used even more in everything. Your entire door now is mdf. The inside is mdf, the core is cardboard and where the hinges and locksets go are all fiberboard. Even the face is masonite. These doors swell up like a sponge. And warranty is void if all 6 sides are not painted. Because well lol just a lil humidity and they blow apart. So guys are going to have to be careful and make sure there is no pooling or water migrating under the base. Lay towels in low spots if need be. Tile is never perfect. Each one pitches one way or the other.

Just fwi most of the base you come across was painted installed. So the backs and bottoms are not painted or sealed. They maybe primed. But you can wash that primer off with a tissue and water.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
More cleaners facing the same issue…