May remove the generator

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Thinking of taking the generator off the van, I started out using my generator with my Escape LX that stays in the van only when i was not within 50 foot from the laundry room when i would use the splitter that the machine comes with.

But fact is you only need one 20amp plug and one 15 amp plug, so lately I've been using my 50 foot 10gauge cord and plugging that into the laundry room 20 amp circuit then run the cord that comes with the machine from that to the machine, then its easy to find the second 15amp and be within 50 foot for it

i've had no problems doing it this way and cord does not get hot, maybe it would if I used 100foot of 12gauge

but it saves me money on gas for the generator plus a lot less noise as well and i'll have more room on the van for other things

Of course if i need to i can always put the generator back on as sometimes this realtor i do some work for gives me jobs on vacant homes with no power, but he lets me know this upfront.

So for all you Escape guys who think you need a generator, "You Don't"

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I did something like that for about 3 years with a Castex DVA. I think it drew about 18 amps on one line and 13 on the other with an occasional bump of maybe 5 amps with the apo kicked in briefly on the 13 amp line. I never bought a generator. Sometimes I had to force the limits of sanity and safety to get a job done though! :) I really could've used a generator on a number of occasions. Just normal day to day carpet cleaning it wasn't an issue. I used to clean all the repossessed mobile homes for a fairly big dealer in the area. Sometimes I had to run the 50 ft to a 100 ft. 12 gauge to my 25 ft. off the extractor the all my vacuum and solution hose after that. I might of even gone beyond that a few times, but I don't recommend it! That 10 gauge never got hot at all and the 12 gauge seemed to work fine for the most part. On excessively long runs I definitely noticed a performance drop at the machine. You could literally hear the motors not running as fast as they should. I bought a Little Giant 120,000 btu for heat so no electric need for heat!

It was because of having occasional problems caused by no electric on site and trying to run extension cords long distances in bad weather I finally bought my first gas powered truck mount rather than going ahead and getting a generator. Back then though my first TM was only about 7 grand. I don't know if I could've fit a generator in my van back then and they weren't as easy to buy as they are today. ;)

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Thinking of taking the generator off the van, I started out using my generator with my Escape LX that stays in the van only when i was not within 50 foot from the laundry room when i would use the splitter that the machine comes with.

But fact is you only need one 20amp plug and one 15 amp plug, so lately I've been using my 50 foot 10gauge cord and plugging that into the laundry room 20 amp circuit then run the cord that comes with the machine from that to the machine, then its easy to find the second 15amp and be within 50 foot for it

i've had no problems doing it this way and cord does not get hot, maybe it would if I used 100foot of 12gauge

but it saves me money on gas for the generator plus a lot less noise as well and i'll have more room on the van for other things

Of course if i need to i can always put the generator back on as sometimes this realtor i do some work for gives me jobs on vacant homes with no power, but he lets me know this upfront.

I'm with you. I don't use Escape anymore, but for 7 straight years I had to use genset, actually I owned 2 of them. In my case, generator was more necessity than luxury, since I had to power up quad motors, 230 V and there is no way I would be running in customer's house with a 2 hunter boxes to find 4-20 amps outlets . LX, being 115 V gives you an opportunity to put less emphasis on generator use. If you think that in most case you'll be able to reach the house outlets with your extension cords, go for it. Your generator weighs possibly less than 200 lbs, so is no biggie to haul it back if needed. I've done it a few times with mine and that baby was 340lb.
How many hours on your LX ? Are you able to keep moisture out from motors? I was able to get mine 5.7 " motors for about $100, so I spent about $500 -$700 every year. It was very hard to keep them free of moisture, since 2 were attached to a waste tank wall and you know that your waste tank is gonna have some water in it all the time..

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States

How long are the cords (Pigtails) on the Escape?

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I'm with you. I don't use Escape anymore, but for 7 straight years I had to use genset, actually I owned 2 of them. In my case, generator was more necessity than luxury, since I had to power up quad motors, 230 V and there is no way I would be running in customer's house with a 2 hunter boxes to find 4-20 amps outlets . LX, being 115 V gives you an opportunity to put less emphasis on generator use. If you think that in most case you'll be able to reach the house outlets with your extension cords, go for it. Your generator weighs possibly less than 200 lbs, so is no biggie to haul it back if needed. I've done it a few times with mine and that baby was 340lb.
How many hours on your LX ? Are you able to keep moisture out from motors? I was able to get mine 5.7 " motors for about $100, so I spent about $500 -$700 every year. It was very hard to keep them free of moisture, since 2 were attached to a waste tank wall and you know that your waste tank is gonna have some water in it all the time..
Not sure of the exact weight of my generator but it is a heavy sucker, however i do have a nice ramp and can easily get it in and out of my van with no help.

I think that getting moisture in vac motors on most any portable is due to too much foam getting in the waste tank, so eliminating getting foam in the waste tank is important, if no foam getting in and it's just water you shouldn't have much of a problem

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Not sure of the exact weight of my generator but it is a heavy sucker, however i do have a nice ramp and can easily get it in and out of my van with no help.

I think that getting moisture in vac motors on most any portable is due to too much foam getting in the waste tank, so eliminating getting foam in the waste tank is important, if no foam getting in and it's just water you shouldn't have much of a problem
What's foam has to do with anything. I'm not expecting foam pass trough the motors. It's the residual moisture in the waste tank. Remember when we tell customers to leave the door from the basement opened? Moisture needs ways of escape. Unless you open to lids on waste tank and keep waste tank dry for most part, residual moisture is the culprit, eating external and internal parts of your motors. You might disagree, but...

Reactions: Jimsteam

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
The Escape does not have pigtails/cords hanging off of it like most other machines, it simply has the plug receptacles on it that you plug your cords to
Had those on the Jaguar . I replaced them with 12' pigtails. Sometimes that little extra is what is needed to reach an outlet.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
What's foam has to do with anything. I'm not expecting foam pass trough the motors. It's the residual moisture in the waste tank. Remember when we tell customers to leave the door from the basement opened? Moisture needs ways of escape. Unless you open to lids on waste tank and keep waste tank dry for most part, residual moisture is the culprit, eating external and internal parts of your motors. You might disagree, but...
Residual moisture, yeah maybe to some degree, a lot of foam in the waste tank of a portable while cleaning, that shit gets sucked right thru your motors and out the exhaust and gets all over anything, especially if your exhausts are on the back of the machine as opposed to on the bottom

Now maybe on a truck mount unit foam is not an issue but on a portable it can be a big issue, been there done that, as i've had and still use a portable and stay away from products that tend to be foamy

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Residual moisture, yeah maybe to some degree, a lot of foam in the waste tank of a portable while cleaning, that shit gets sucked right thru your motors and out the exhaust and gets all over anything, especially if your exhausts are on the back of the machine as opposed to on the bottom

Now maybe on a truck mount unit foam is not an issue but on a portable it can be a big issue, been there done that, as i've had and still use a portable and stay away from products that tend to be foamy
You don't have to tell me, I was spending on defoamer $150 monthly. This is $150 more staying in my pocket month after month . Didn't have a foam issue once since I've switch to Relia- built. Also, I'm foreseeing long term saving on gas, no more monster generator. My 23 HP Vanguard is sipping gas, not chugging....

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater

We pulled the generator out of our van a while ago and don't regret it for one second
They're big they're noisy and it's not a big deal to find two outlets

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Has anyone used this Hydroforce pump out in here?

It can pump out to the customer's toilet so nothing goes back to the machine in the truck. Waste tank and motors stays clean and dry. Is it a good investment to make? Thanks.
For the price you might want to look into an inline vac booster with pumpout. At least it gives you a longer hose run combined with a pump out.

Vacuum Thingymajigger

Apr 20, 2018
Real Name
Carlito Pozon
For the price you might want to look into an inline vac booster with pumpout. At least it gives you a longer hose run combined with a pump out.
Thanks for the suggestion. The reason I don't want to do that is that we are in the show business. I don't want to hear customer hearing the sound of vacuum inside their house and think that I'm using a portable. I want sound and hose going into truck to make it look like truckmount. Spring, summer or fall, I use my Prochem truckmount. This is just for winter set-up.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
My trucks so big now the generator takes up .01% of my space! Lol I just vented it to the outside world. I never put the wheel kit on my genset and man that things crazy hard to move.
@Luky did you ever sell your Escape?
@kevinj6121 how has yours been working for you? Have you been keeping it dedicated in the truck?

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
We pulled the generator out of our van a while ago and don't regret it for one second
They're big they're noisy and it's not a big deal to find two outlets
Running 10 gauge from the truck is crazy in this weather . Fought with 12 gauge for a spell but it simply gets too hot. . We use ONE 10 gauge Flexilla cord for the exhaust booster and that is a PITA to coil. Tough enough to fight the hoses.
Many of our jobs the nearest outlet is 50' and the second another 25'. Condos 75'
Another 2 cords or a down line booster Not ! For a few dollars a day (1/2 gallon per hour) I'll keep my genset for the convenience for HWE or use my Eco Lite .

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Opps I was posting in the wrong thread a minute ago. Will #10 cord run both motors on a jag? Forgot my truck has multiable ways for power. A 5000 watt inverter and also this plug.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Peak. I know I can’t run it, plus it’s not a pure sine. I’m talking about running AC power direct to my outside plug. Inside the truck I have a standard 2 gang outlet

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Peak. I know I can’t run it, plus it’s not a pure sine. I’m talking about running AC power direct to my outside plug. Inside the truck I have a standard 2 gang outlet
Shoot I would give it a shot plug in the Jags see what happensif it's not enough power it'll either turn on the thermal cutoff the inverter or the thermal cutoff on the Jags motors