MasterBlend El Diablo Review after 1250 hrs

larpy

Oct 30, 2008
Colorado
Real Name
Chris
Business Location
United States
I purchased my El Diablo in 11/2008. I did not however actively the unit until 9/2009 due to a work related injury. I purchased my machine new but I did not realize until after the purchase that it was equipped with a steel coil in the kerosene burner. Three weeks after purchasing the unit MasterBlend switched to the stainless steel coil they currently use. The problem with the steel coil is if you are running an acid rinse the coil will rust and clog inline filters. This has been the BIGGEST downfall of this unit.

My El Diablo is equipped with the 24 horsepower Honda v-twin. The engine runs great but after 500 hrs it began to use oil. I would go through ¾ quart between oil changes but I check it daily and never let it get low. I recently took the unit to MasterBlend because of the oil issue. They changed a part in the engine that is essentially a plastic disc that deals with vacuum on the engine. This has solved the issue. They also had to replace the main coupler between the engine and the blower as it was shutting down “hard”. I always let my unit warm up at the beginning of the day and idle for a cool down at the end of each job. When I would shut down the engine there was a knocking noise coming from the blower. After replacing the coupler this noise stopped.

My machine has 1250 hrs on it. I have put 800 hrs on it in the last year. I change the oil every 100 hrs and service the blower every 400-500 hours. The pump started leaking with approx 250 hours so I had it rebuilt and there has not been an issue since. The down side to this machine is I have gone through 3 thermostats on the unit since purchasing (Meaning 4 in total!) MasterBlend has given me all 3 thermostats but it does get annoying because of the down time. I have been told the thermostats they use are not great quality and I would tend to agree.

The other issue I have had is the carburetor on the Honda will load up with gas when the temperature outside is hot. When I try to restart the unit it will not start and gas will blow out a port on the side of the carb. Eventually, after continuing to turn over the engine, the Honda will sputter and start. I recently bought a ¼” fuel shutoff valve. I turn the valve off just before shut down and I let it idle for approx 1 minute. This short time at idle with the fuel shut off relieves the pressure on the carb and the problem has been resolved.

The powder coating on these units SUCK! It has begun peeling off all over near the base. It makes the machine look worn but I have kept up on maintaining a clean look by paining areas like the feet that have peeled. I would recommend mounting it off the floor to keep moisture away from the base. Hockey pucks make a great mount and keep a good distance between the floor and the frame.

Heat is a big plus on this machine! It is amazing how hot these machines get. Within 45 seconds you can easily maintain 240 degrees. This is nice on cold days! My vac hose runs are usually between 100’-150’ for the residential jobs. Dry times are great with the blower. I have run 600’ feet of hose on large commercial jobs and there is a significant drop in vac. I have improved vac by running 4 to the door with a “Y”. After the “Y” I run 2.5 inch hose for 150’ and then reduced down to 2” hose. This has helped.

I do not like that in order to adjust the pressure you must have something attached to the machine and spraying. The metering also has to be set while something is spraying. This is a big downside on cold days here in Denver because the drives and walks ice up if you are spraying them while setting the pressure/flow. I always have a 6’ whip hose attached to the 2nd solution line QD on the front of the machine which is hooked to a spray wand to set the pressure/flow.

Overall these are good machines. I have just purchased a new machine to replace my El Diablo so its days are numbered. It has performed well and I would recommend one to others.

joeynbgky

Oct 10, 2009
bowling green, ky, Nashville, Tn, Columbus, oh
www.Freshaircleans.com
Real Name
joey upchurch
Business Location
United States
That honda engine needs the oil changed every 50 hours.. I have the same engine and the oil is black at 50. I have over 2100 on one of mine and never an engine problem. I replace plugs every 500 hrs. Why did u replace ur machine so early? Because of all the problems? What did u get? Your wasn't even broke in yet. So glad I got my tcs. Most reliable machine ever. Mine has belts to the blower no coupler.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

larpy

Oct 30, 2008
Colorado
Real Name
Chris
Business Location
United States
I have never seen that supplement. MasterBlend recommended every 100 hrs but doing it sooner would not hurt. I also looked at the TCS machines. I was considering the Cheif II Diesel. They look like great machines.

larpy

Oct 30, 2008
Colorado
Real Name
Chris
Business Location
United States
Brent at MasterBlend has been GREAT! I would buy their machine again. We have all had problems at some time or another. I learned how to overcome the obstacles my machine has thrown at me. I have NEVER had any major issues so I have been happy with the El Diablo. On a 1-10 scale I would give it an 8.5. I have never found a machine that has achieved a10 out of 10 on a long term analysis.

Last edited by a moderator: