Maintenance Made Easier

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I'm working hard this year to make maintenance easy, organized and fast. Putting extra blower and pump oil in condiment bottles that live on the van, making a live reel carwash station directly behind where the van is parked everyday, stocking more likely to break/wear out parts on the van, etc...

What time savers are y'all doing for your rigs?

20200221_171520.jpg

Wished I had done this 25 years ago lol

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I put a ball valve on the oil drain hose for my TM motor. I still use the cap just in case but it's nice to have it already in the pan/jug before it starts to drain.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I put a ball valve on the oil drain hose for my TM motor. I still use the cap just in case but it's nice to have it already in the pan/jug before it starts to drain.
I like that idea a lot. My new to me Cleanco uses panel mount sight glasses for at a glance oil levels, but on the slide in I think adding a ball valve at the components and a male QC at the end of the drain hoses is in the works. Great idea!

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
On every TM I ever had, the first thing I did was research the manual and got to understand the machine inside and out. Then I took the maintenance items and intervals and made a Maintenance Chart.

This included Weekly, Monthly and Annual maintenance items along with a space for the date/hours the work was done. Then its just a matter of putting those time frames on my scheduling calendar and then I know what needs to be done and when. When it comes time to sell, its the best thing to get the highest price.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
On every TM I ever had, the first thing I did was research the manual and got to understand the machine inside and out. Then I took the maintenance items and intervals and made a Maintenance Chart.

This included Weekly, Monthly and Annual maintenance items along with a space for the date/hours the work was done. Then its just a matter of putting those time frames on my scheduling calendar and then I know what needs to be done and when. When it comes time to sell, its the best thing to get the highest price.
Back in the 90's that is exactly what I appreciated about Butler, they did exactly that in the manual. It was laid out for weekly, monthly and annual maintenance with those forms in the included machine manual. The color coded flow chart and corresponding fittings along with top quality parts and quick release fittings for easy maintenance was another well thought out process for operator maintenance.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Always carry a toolkit with extra parts that break - QC's, wand shut off valves, faucet adapters, etc.
Have an extra wand, transfer chemicals into smaller containers and not gallon jugs (quart containers) to conserve space.
Use corner guards.
Carry extra sections of steam line in varying lengths, and extra sections of vac hose. I have 200' of steam line and 250' of vac hose on reels.
Have a door blanket.
Carry a battery jumper box for those rare times you would be stranded.
Have a roll of toilet paper in a plastic bag (you never know - ha ha).

Last edited:

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Always carry a toolkit with extra parts that break - QC's, wand shut off valves, faucet adapters, etc.
Have an extra wand, transfer chemicals into smaller containers and not gallon jugs (quart containers) to conserve space.
Use corner guards.
Carry extra sections of steam line in varying lengths, and extra sections of vac hose. I have 200' of steam line and 250' of vac hose on reels.
Have a door blanket.
The toilet paper is a must if you do a lot of empty apartments because you know there's never any on the roll.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Use corner guards.
Have a door blanket.
I'm redoing my storage and keeping OTJ replacement parts and test equipment together. I'm still not sure where I'm mounting the rally box, it hasn't found a home yet. The replacement equipment belts live behind the driver's seat, the 2 van belts I need to find in gatorback brand and they will be onboard as well. 5 months of running this rig and it is getting closer to being efficient, but not quite there yet.

20200125_092243.jpg

20200126_084719.jpg

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke