Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Fender bender on one my vans. Needs a new front bumper, hood adjustment and paint bumper, hood and doors. Dealer is 7k. Maaco is 2k. Have 7k check in hand. I asked why the lower price and Maaco said because they use off brand parts. Is this good or bad?

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
For a work van, no question. I wouldnt spend 5k to have perfect body lines. And I've done plenty of my own body work, I always use aftermarket stuff. Haven't had many problems.

Reactions: rob allen

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Either. Macco can do a decent job. Just check reviews on that particular shop that you plan on going to. They may have a good painter. Just temember these guys do move on to better jobs. So they get cycled. Many guys get started there then once good they move up the food chain.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Depends on your insurance companies preferred company and how long they guarantee the work, some are 5 years or longer. Not a big deal unless the clear coat peels, paint doesn't line up from the get go, etc... For 2.5x less put 2k into the petty cash van cigar box and if it happens with tail light warrantee work do it again in 2 years.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Ive never had an issue, my guys been banging my shit up for years lol
Agree and they will probably bang it up again. Heck I have them driving it now with a bumper and trim jacked. So anything is an improvement.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Pull-a-part bone yards post vehicles on the lot and lot location here locally. $2 to enter the yard with tools, but I have made out like a bandit, pop out van windows, bumpers, idler pulleys, belt tensioners, transmissions, etc...

Sawing out a fixed window to install a pop out window isn't exactly fun though....

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Pull-a-part bone yards post vehicles on the lot and lot location here locally. $2 to enter the yard with tools, but I have made out like a bandit, pop out van windows, bumpers, idler pulleys, belt tensioners, transmissions, etc...

Sawing out a fixed window to install a pop out window isn't exactly fun though....
They call em "U-Pull It" here. Can save alot of money if they have what you need. We used to 4 wheel beater trucks. And we purposely used trucks that were plentiful in those yards. Like late 70's-90's ford chevy trucks. They had at least 40 of each at any one time. 80's toyotas they had at least 10. Wagoneers went on as far as you could see.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
No down time is my major factor for hitting the boneyard, repairs or bodywork is 2-10 business days and that's horseshit for business. I don't mind repairing with used until new can be had on my schedule. I've bought 2 running vans just for sacrificial use. Swapped out drive shafts, rear ends, upper control arms, etc... and worked the next morning. Lost money is like lost sleep, you never get it back.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I forgot to mention that the dealer needs van 3 weeks and Maaco 3-5 days. Downtime can be a killer

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Many times they are only off brand because they didn't buy them from Ford or whoever makes your van. But they are all made by the same company to the same specs. Also, dealerships have crazy markups on parts. For body work I'd just go with Maaco. They'll do it cheaper and for a lot less.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Maaco is horrible. I was a auto painter for 10 years. I never worked for a Maaco but know they do cheap/fast work. They are the Stanley Steemer of the auto body business.

Would you hire Stanley to clean your carpet ?

Don't go to a Dealer or Stanley. Go to a family owned auto body business.

Frank House

Feb 1, 2016
Real Name
Frank H
We used Maaco many times. Never had an issue and like that we can get the vehicle back way faster then other places.
Here is some warranty information from there site.

BODY PANELS AND MECHANICAL PARTS
If you elect to replace a panel rather than have it repaired, two options are available to you. Each carries a different warranty:
  • An Original Equipment Manufacturer (O.E.M) body panel is one produced by the Original Equipment Manufacturer and purchased through one of their designated agents, i.e. a new car dealership. The Limited Warranty for an O.E.M. body panel, replaced in its entirety is:
    • 1 year limited warranty on the occurrence of rust.
    • Limited lifetime warranty on proper fit and alignment provided the adjacent panels are in good condition.
  • Aftermarket or Used body panels – Ninety (90) day limited warranty on the occurrence of rust.
  • Mechanical parts – Any mechanical parts replaced as a result of accident damage, are warranted for ninety (90) days or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first.
STRUCTURAL REPAIRS - LIFETIME
All materials Maaco uses in the repair of structural panels are warrantied for as long as you own the vehicle. However, if additional or hidden damage that would affect the performance of the vehicle is found during or after the repair, the customer will be responsible for any additional parts or labor required to make the necessary repairs. This warranty is voided should the vehicle be involved in a subsequent accident, or if structural problem results from the O.E.M. design flaw, or if the vehicle is affected by an “Act of God”, such as submersion in a flood.

Reactions: rob allen