LVP & LVT Floor - Common Findings

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
So the shit is starting to hit the fan with all these wild claims about LVT and LVP floors. I'm getting almost a call a day now about someone being upset their 1 year old supposedly never will scratch, never needs maintenance floor is showing signs of damage in the finish.

Anybody have some experience with re-finishing LVT and LVP Floors? If so, what process do you follow and what sort of finish are you using?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
theyre abusive or bought cheap garbage. the stuff i've installed is amazing.

its not a zero maintenance but a very low maintenance floor

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
theyre abusive or bought cheap garbage. the stuff i've installed is amazing.

its not a zero maintenance but a very low maintenance floor
Mike, In your opinion, what is the best? I am thinking about putting LVP in my home.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I appreciate the comments, but for someone who bought a cheap flooring and wants it fixed, what would you do?

Clean it and re-finish with a urethane polish? Acrylic polish?

Is it even fixable or just replace?

This is starting to become a very common occurrence in our market.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I appreciate the comments, but for someone who bought a cheap flooring and wants it fixed, what would you do?

Clean it and re-finish with a urethane polish? Acrylic polish?

Is it even fixable or just replace?

This is starting to become a very common occurrence in our market.
@crash1big

this expert would know.

but it being a plastic composite not sure that it can be stained.

engineered wood floors allow for a potential sand and refinish.

besides if they put in cheap products they're not going to be willing to properly re finish any type of floor

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I'm finding the same thing in my commercial janitorial accounts. It is superior in many ways to the previous options, but it isn't all its marketed to be. I have a couple jobs that put in very pricey "commercial grade" lvt and in less than a year rolling office chairs had worn all the color off and it looks terrible.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I'm finding the same thing in my commercial janitorial accounts. It is superior in many ways to the previous options, but it isn't all its marketed to be. I have a couple jobs that put in very pricey "commercial grade" lvt and in less than a year rolling office chairs had worn all the color off and it looks terrible.
rolling office chairs will eat a hole in anything man. ive got a restaurant where it cut a circle into the concrete

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Two things I suggest for all the variants of solid core flooring (LVP, LVT, etc,)

1. Clean with distilled water and a neutral cleaner. This will help remove residues form improper cleaners that have been used and hard water deposits.
  2. Finish with Hydro-Force Preservation Wood finish. This is a blend of acrylic and urethane. Works well on these floors.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Most LVP/LVT flooring have a 10 year commercial warranty and go up to about 25 years residential. The better ones are now incorporating a melamine finish. The ones w/o melamine will hold a finish(like Scott said) if they are damaged or scuffed. I would inform the custy that it will require ongoing maintenance to keep the appearance up.
Most stores (especially box stores) are "over selling" these floors and they are selling lots of recycled vinyl. Which makes a big difference in the overall performance. Virgin vinyl is the key to longevity but costs more. We only sell virgin vinyl from mainstream suppliers like Mohawk, Armstrong, Mannington, etc. You can test for melamine with a strong solvent like acetone or MEK. If the finish comes off; it isn't melamine.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I installed about 1200sq ft in my house about 3yrs ago. It was approx 1.90/sqft.

The only way you can scratch it is if you slide very heavy furniture like a refrigerator with metal feet.
I have 3 dogs, 1 is 120lbs they dont scratch it at all. Its waterproof, Ive spilled gallons on it.

I dropped the hammer on it a bunch of times while I was installing doesnt touch it

hate to say it but its a no brainer compared to carpet, way less maintenance.