Luxury vinyl tile cleaning | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Luxury vinyl tile cleaning

beck

Jul 13, 2006
We have a group we clean apartments for and they are switching the apartments over from carpet to luxury vinyl tile. They are asking us if we will clean the floors on all the moveouts. Trying to think of a fast efficient way to clean these floors. I thought possibly about using a spinner tool maybe with lowering the psi to possibly five or 600. I wonder if water could get under the floor doing it this way. We do have a dirt dragon but don’t like the idea of lifting it up steps to get it to upper level apartments all the time. I also have a suspicion they would only have us clean the really nasty ones so I think just using a tamp mop would be a pita. Do any of you have a good system you use to clean these floors?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
The Lindhaus machines perform very similar to the Dirt Dragon but are lighter weight. That would be my first choice.

You can also use a 175 RPM floor machine and cotton bonnets.

Most LVT and LVP flooring can stand a little water, but I would be concerned about getting water between the planks. Either your extraction needs to be very good, or the ambient conditions warm and dry or use air movement and dehus.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Keep water from pooling and away from perimeters as there are gullies under the shoe mould. And watch around entry points. I silicone my installs at entries like against door threshold. But many dont and its just left open. Water will easily get under floor there.

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
This market is exploding all around us...A product like squeaky clean for hardwood...sprayed down lightly...( after removing as much dry soil as possible )....A red pad for some mild agitation...and if you wanted to, follow up with a bonnet, since you have some form of 175 already...or just microfiber mop it...doodle bug the areas your 175 machine can not get.

This is or should be a higher SF charge opportunity...No truck mount involved.

I did this today, and the home owner was very pleased...In my demographics I charged 0.68 per SF because it was in good shape anyway, they just wanted to freshen it up.

Had this been in the same shape, but carpet, It would have come in at 0.43

By the way...I have not done a nasty one yet, but I feel with minor adustments and dwell time, I could achive very good results.
Good luck on this.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
175, soft carpet brush, Grout Master or Neutral Cleaner, (light scrub, not to crazy with the water), dry, apply 1-2 coats of your favorite finish/sealer, I like Terraglaze by Spartan.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Keep water from pooling and away from perimeters as there are gullies under the shoe mould. And watch around entry points. I silicone my installs at entries like against door threshold. But many dont and its just left open. Water will easily get under floor there.
just picked up 900 sq:ft lvt install woop woop

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
175, soft carpet brush, Grout Master or Neutral Cleaner, (light scrub, not to crazy with the water), dry, apply 1-2 coats of your favorite finish/sealer, I like Terraglaze by Spartan.
blegh the ones we deal with we thankfully don't apply any finish too them

if i was doing apartments if just use a lightweight OP machine or 13" 175.

these floors really are very easy too clean

Reactions: Dafloorman

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Reactions: jtsunbrite

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I do a ton of these,, great job, Check out NCLonline.com One Finish (finest shine off the mop in the industry) its one of those finishes that gets you tons of referrals

Reactions: Dafloorman

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Question about applying finish. Aren't you concerned about what it will look like in a couple of years?
Would you strip the old finish off?
Just curious

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
Jeff...In that picture...Is'n that a lot of moisture?...I just walk softly into this type of flooring...and if I ran into a nasty...What do you think about a green pad?
I repect your knowledge about scrubbing and pads...Thanks.
I need to check out you reference.
Not to by pass my friend Scott or anything...LOL
I need to learn how to post pictures...I'm just proud I can cut and past at this point...LOL

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Jeff...In that picture...Is'n that a lot of moisture?...I just walk softly into this type of flooring...and if I ran into a nasty...What do you think about a green pad?
I repect your knowledge about scrubbing and pads...Thanks.
I need to check out you reference.
Not to by pass my friend Scott or anything...LOL
I need to learn how to post pictures...I'm just proud I can cut and past at this point...LOL
its vinyl papa , you can clean it with anything as long as there isn't a wood subfloor under it,, down here in the south they glue it down mostly, the snap in stuff you just clean with wet bonnets.

Reactions: PistolPete

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
You mention Groutmaster or neutral cleaner. Those 2 are far apart on the PH scale. Of course you know that already. So are you saying for the Real Dirty ones GM and the not so bad a neutral cleaner?

Also, I imagine a CRB could provide the agitation like the 175 in your example. Would you agree?

And how are you drying in your example? Mop? shop vac?

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Just did one of these in a bowling alley actually. mopped on simple green, let it sit for 1-2 minutes. Hit it with my 175 and a red brush, sucked it up with my wet vac I usually use for strip and wax, and did a final mop on the way out. With moving things and letting some areas dry a bit I was doing around 500 sqft an hour and these floors were trashed. On a side note I was brought in because their normal cleaner "Couldn't get the floors clean with mopping." but if I was really inclined I could have done the whole job with a string mop. They clean up beautifully.