Losing a large account

ryan81588

May 20, 2010
NC
Real Name
Ryan Jordan
Business Location
United States
I was talking with a facilities manager today who we are losing a contract with, and he told me the reason we were being terminated. He doesn’t feel
We have the management piece of our business in place. Said that we shouldn’t have the owner in managing filling in and doing specialty work. That I should be managing only. And that the larger company they will be bringing in will do that better. Anyone ever had this happen?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Ryan, sounds like your contract has a concrete notion of what he thinks all cleaning companies should be. And it's not your fault that, as an independent owner of a small company, you don't fit his grand vision of what a cleaning company ought to look like.

The fact that the OWNER HIMSELF is spot-checking, following up, and handling some things personally for the customer would, in my humblest of opinions, be a selling point and not a detriment.

I know the amount of effort you put into customer satisfaction, and honestly I can say with NO reservation that in this instance, you're dealing with someone whose mind is unfortunately closed... which is NOT a reflection on you or your work. Sometimes you just run into people whose vision doesn't match your own, and that's OK.

ryan81588

May 20, 2010
NC
Real Name
Ryan Jordan
Business Location
United States
Ryan, sounds like your contract has a concrete notion of what he thinks all cleaning companies should be. And it's not your fault that, as an independent owner of a small company, you don't fit his grand vision of what a cleaning company ought to look like.

The fact that the OWNER HIMSELF is spot-checking, following up, and handling some things personally for the customer would, in my humblest of opinions, be a selling point and not a detriment.

I know the amount of effort you put into customer satisfaction, and honestly I can say with NO reservation that in this instance, you're dealing with someone whose mind is unfortunately closed... which is NOT a reflection on you or your work. Sometimes you just run into people whose vision doesn't match your own, and that's OK.
That’s what I’ve always been told by customers. He’s bringing I a large national franchise company whose model is the company manages and the work is done by sub company’s. City wide is the company. From what I understand they have a VP, facility’s services manager, night area manager and site supervisor. Not sure how the employees doing the work are gonna make any money.

ryan81588

May 20, 2010
NC
Real Name
Ryan Jordan
Business Location
United States
My model was over staff the building and have someone walk through at the end of the night or first thing the next morning and take care of any issues they find.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
IMHO, they (your customer) were sold by suit wearing salesmen that appealed to the head in charge. Be cordial in your depart and go on with business as usual. It usually will come back around and you will most likely get ur turn again. THEN, price it more fairly to your business not theirs.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Everyone above is right. Bottom line is he’s going with a large franchise that will probably charge 1/3 of what you are. Hopefully the new company also supplies 1/3 of the quality and you will have your account back within a year.

Go in 6 months to check in with this guy and see if he’s happy with the new guys or if he’s ready to come back to you.

ryan81588

May 20, 2010
NC
Real Name
Ryan Jordan
Business Location
United States
IMHO, they (your customer) were sold by suit wearing salesmen that appealed to the head in charge. Be cordial in your depart and go on with business as usual. It usually will come back around and you will most likely get ur turn again. THEN, price it more fairly to your business not theirs.
Exactly!! Im pretty sure they are a little more expensive than we were but definitely a suit wearing big company sales guy. His last words to me today were if this guy doesn't work they'll send me another manager. Ive talked to a few others around about this company and they seem to agree the big guys over promise and under deliver!!!

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
They may have apps or web interface that is sold as bells & whistles.
Bottom line is, no corporate company can out perform an O/O who is personally involved in the operation.
When they do come back, the key is to not make the decision maker feel stupid, just be humble and then raise your prices!

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Agree with above. Most clients love that I've kept my buisness small ish. Who better than the owner to do quality control. Who has more invested and on the line than the owner? The only time when they could be correct is if a company has poor quality employees and the owner spreads himself/herself to thin.

Reactions: smart n kleen
Jul 9, 2017
Real Name
stephanie barber
That’s what I’ve always been told by customers. He’s bringing I a large national franchise company whose model is the company manages and the work is done by sub company’s. City wide is the company. From what I understand they have a VP, facility’s services manager, night area manager and site supervisor. Not sure how the employees doing the work are gonna make any money.
What a moron. He apparently has no clue what the hell he is doing. Just it back and wait for the phone call and when it comes and it will rest assured you will have every right to quote him a much higher price. He sounds like a JERK and while I can imagine your frustration the truth is that franchise bid the job at a lower rate and have most likely made him promises they will not be able to keep, its a 95.99% guarantee if you leave the contract on good terms and leave him with the idea he can always call on your services then he will be calling you to come back. He apparently has no clue what the hell he is doing if he did the first thing he would know is that those franchise companies outsource most of their work which means random ppl in his building which means a concern for trust a concern of performance a concern for consistency and so on.... the list is way long. I know ppl say don't take it personally but how can you not, right? So take that experience and grow with it. Take the advice from everyone in the industry is sharing with you DON'T ALLOW that jerk to convince you that you being an active participate in your business somehow makes you less than a franchise or a BIG corporation. If anything that is a major advantage. I will not accept a client that I can't personally tend to and I tell them that up front. I make sure everyone of our clients know we are a family owned and operated business so we are always going to be an active participate in every client we accept. Your doing it right, those franchise and big corporations make promises they have no intentions of keeping. I just took over a clinic and it was serviced by one of those big corporations and I can tell you I have a copy of their check list and OMG they weren't doing 1/4 of the task listed. Anyways, I feel your pain.

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
I actually have one account from City Wide, the owner of the franchise is a good guy and I’ve been impressed with his employees.

I took the account to get started in the janitorial space and it’s taught me a lot. They have very good quality control.

I’m not saying this case is fair and it’s hard to be better than O/O but you can always learn something.

ryan81588

May 20, 2010
NC
Real Name
Ryan Jordan
Business Location
United States
I actually have one account from City Wide, the owner of the franchise is a good guy and I’ve been impressed with his employees.

I took the account to get started in the janitorial space and it’s taught me a lot. They have very good quality control.

I’m not saying this case is fair and it’s hard to be better than O/O but you can always learn something.
The main promise was a VP to oversee the manager, a manager to be in the building a couple times per month to manger the night area manager who will be in 2-3 times per week to manage the site supervisor who will manage the sub contracted company to do the work. Im not sure that will ever happen I could be wrong

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
The main promise was a VP to oversee the manager, a manager to be in the building a couple times per month to manger the night area manager who will be in 2-3 times per week to manage the site supervisor who will manage the sub contracted company to do the work. Im not sure that will ever happen I could be wrong
VP -> manager -> night manager -> site manager -> sub...

Good heavens. They think it's GOOD to hire someone who will need FIVE people to do what ONE person, specifically you, offered to do?

What a buncha maroons.

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
I’m sure their salesman was willing to say whatever to get the job and it seems your customer was vulnerable to their sales tactics.

In my limited experience they have done a good job with oversight. Credit where credit is due.

It will probably be subbed to an o/o with a few accounts who they will pay $20 an hour.

But again. No one beats a good hands on owner. Managers are just people you have to share the pie with and they will never care like an owner does.

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
@ryan81588 Btw what is your definition of a large account? Like the # of hours you do in the building or the amount of revenue from it? If so what amount of $ + do you think is considered a large account? I am curious because i got some that i consider large accounts to but not sure if it fits the avg of what others consider large accts