Loosing pressure on 370 ss

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
So in all reality it is being starved of water because it thinks water is there but isn't?
Yes correct. The waterbox stays pressurized not allowing actual water in.

A temp fix will be too crack the cap and relieve the pressure, allowing water to fill it back up.

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
So in all reality it is being starved of water because it thinks water is there but isn't?

correct..the box is getting hot and filling with steam...the pressure regulator does not know the difference between steam pressure and water pressure and thinks it is full of water and so it is not opening and allowing water in..a fast and easy way to check it is when it gives you that problem...take a short hose and hook it to the front of the machine and open it up and see if a bunch of steam comes out..let all the steam out and watch the pressure gauge...it will start coming up because the pressure regulator opened up and is allowing water to come in.....

Reactions: JD5150

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Yes correct. The waterbox stays pressurized not allowing actual water in.

A temp fix will be too crack the cap and relieve the pressure, allowing water to fill it back up.
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I was right that the pump was starved. I knew by they way the OP explained it that the pump was being staved but don't know everything about heat exchange. Still learning as time goes on especially these new machines. :D

ROLL TIDE!!!

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Michael Neal
correct..the box is getting hot and filling with steam...the pressure regulator does not know the difference between steam pressure and water pressure and thinks it is full of water and so it is not opening and allowing water in..a fast and easy way to check it is when it gives you that problem...take a short hose and hook it to the front of the machine and open it up and see if a bunch of steam comes out..let all the steam out and watch the pressure gauge...it will start coming up because the pressure regulator opened up and is allowing water to come in.....
Thank you I have a cut house I use fort that. That sounds like a great idea.

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
That wouldn't work, or at least didn't on the units I worked on. The pressure in the water box is before the pump and the pump won't move steam. Hooking a bleeder hose to the outlet wouldn't allow anything to escape.
Even after the steam cooled, the box was staying pressurized. Only way I found was to crack the cap on the water box

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Thanks Jim for explaining. You helped me out years ago on something that was giving me a problem but probably don't even know it. Can't remember what it was but thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated! :)

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
That wouldn't work, or at least didn't on the units I worked on. The pressure in the water box is before the pump and the pump won't move steam. Hooking a bleeder hose to the outlet wouldn't allow anything to escape.
Even after the steam cooled, the box was staying pressurized. Only way I found was to crack the cap on the water box

when ever I had this problem on my 570...I would take the hose and bleed off all the steam and it would shoot across the drive ways... and the needle will bounce and the water pressure would come back up and the unit worked fine until it started filling with steam again...everyone that has had this problem that I have talked to would do the same thing and it would let them know the box was full of steam.....that is what I told the guy in Colorado and his dumped steam and box filled right up...so it can't hurt for him to try...

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Thanks Jim for explaining. You helped me out years ago on something that was giving me a problem but probably don't even know it. Can't remember what it was but thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated! :)

anytime..if you still have a problem just let me know...but I would start there...

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
when ever I had this problem on my 570...I would take the hose and bleed off all the steam and it would shoot across the drive ways... and the needle will bounce and the water pressure would come back up and the unit worked fine until it started filling with steam again...everyone that has had this problem that I have talked to would do the same thing and it would let them know the box was full of steam.....that is what I told the guy in Colorado and his dumped steam and box filled right up...so it can't hurt for him to try...
I agree won't hurt. My guess is though that pressure and steam that shot across the driveway was high pressure stream that was trapped in your heat exchanger. It will expel when a bleeder hose is attached. The water box cap is a 18lb cap. It really doesn't have the strength to open the check valves in the pump and shoot steam out the front of the machine.

chris itz

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
chris itotia
if your float switch is similar to this one, on the second image you can see its chipped a bit.on the third image its been repaired by a machine shop.The guy at interlink helped me out bigtime by suggesting i take it to a machine shop which only cost me 20 bucks.The other option was to replace the whole water box for 1300+

Attachments

• IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 86

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
if your float switch is similar to this one, on the second image you can see its chipped a bit.on the third image its been repaired by a machine shop.The guy at interlink helped me out bigtime by suggesting i take it to a machine shop which only cost me 20 bucks.The other option was to replace the whole water box for 1300+
They don't use a float valve anymore. Sapphire moved to a pressurized water box several years ago on most of thier units. It shuts of water flow when a certain pressure is met by the use of an inlet pressure regulator

Black Diamond

Oct 20, 2016
Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii
www.waikikicarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Tyler Irvine
Business Location
United States
I have had these problems and just a guess from my experience, the pump could need a rebuild and looses pressure whenever you hit the trigger. If like they said above the pump is not getting any water for some reason it needs to be primed and release air before it builds up pressure again. Heat exchanger or heating element could be leaking or have a block in it. Most likely it is starving for water and you have to track the problem down. I have had a pump that needed a rebuild and wouldnt provide pressure when I pulled trigger. I just figured I would throw in a few problems I have come across but with that low of hours it is most likely the vapor issue they are talking about for the specific unit. Last option to look into is the belt isn't properly aligned with the pump and not providing the power needed for the pump to run properly. I could be completely wrong though.

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I agree won't hurt. My guess is though that pressure and steam that shot across the driveway was high pressure stream that was trapped in your heat exchanger. It will expel when a bleeder hose is attached. The water box cap is a 18lb cap. It really doesn't have the strength to open the check valves in the pump and shoot steam out the front of the machine.

all I can tell you is that this problem is not an uncommon one and I have helped many many people with it..both 370's and 570's.....when the contact me the first thing I have them do is bleed out the box through the courtesy hose and all of them have a bunch of steam that comes out and the pressure is relieved and the pressure regulator opens up and the box starts to fill and water pressure all comes back...once they get a steam vent.they never have another problem..( except for regulator adjustments..but that's a whole different thread ).....

chris itz

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
chris itotia
They don't use a float valve anymore. Sapphire moved to a pressurized water box several years ago on most of thier units. It shuts of water flow when a certain pressure is met by the use of an inlet pressure regulator

right.in my earlier comment i had said exactly that.this only applies to the first ss370 model

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
a friend of mine in Colorado was having the same problem...I sent him a link to buy one and he got it put it on and his problem went away..also Sapphire helped him and he now has 2 of them on his...

I recommend he calls and talks to Rick at Sapphire..to be sure........
I know this is old but is there a part number or link to it?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The water box is probably filling with steam because it is getting to hot...the pressure regulator does not know the difference between steam pressure and water pressure so it thinks the box is full and is not opening to allow more water in...get ahold of Sapphire and see if they can get you a pressure vent to put on the back of the water box to allow the steam to escape.....View attachment 72649
Is there a part number ?