Looking to upgrade our supplies & equipment, general list

NYCraig

Dec 4, 2016
Real Name
Craig M
I do all the carpet cleaning but my residential cleaning service side for homes (maintenance, post construction and move in/out) and vacation rental turnover is exploding and I'm looking to upgrade beyond the usual pledges, windex, etc and curious what everyone uses..
GREEN options are a welcome addition when possible as I'm eventually looking to go all green for marketing purposes and even more so for mine and my workers health.

Microfiber cloths - any recommended brands that you've found are better than others? Ours must be getting worn because they give off so much fuzz lately (or maybe because we've washed them with cotton rags?)

Vacuum - I have 3 of these that work pretty great overall just wondering what every else is working with.

Microfiber mop setup - we use the rubbermaid one now but its so damn short, any suggestions are appreciated

General / all purpose cleaner - need to upgrade from the simple green we've been working with

Wood Cleaner - a concentrated version of something better than pledge

Glass Cleaner - looking for a good everyday non butyl, along with a heavy duty version for those badly stained glass shower door and windows

Degreaser - for the stove tops and hoods, 11-13 pH I hear is best just curious what brands others are using
Oven cleaner - would same degreaser product due?

Stone Cleaner - I'm using just the plain old windex all purpose right now

Wood / laminate floor cleaner - we use the laminator+ maintenance cleaner with some pretty great results but PRICEY, so I water it down a bit. If you know something better I"m all ears

Thanks everybody. Hoping this thread will turn into a great post for those starting out looking to built their residential cleaning start up kit.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
I agree it will be interesting to see what others use and I could use some advice as well .
For most things I have Ecolab products .
Microfiber / Cotton towels - Sam's Club Pro Force from Ecolab work great and hold up well .
I have part of a case of Rubbermaid Hygen towels left and I'm using them up . They're junk and would not buy anymore .
General all purpose cleaner ..... Using Ecolab Oasis 146 . Dilution is 1 oz. per gallon and spot on when checked with Hydrion tape . Alternative is again the Ecolab cleaner / quat from Sam's Club at 2oz. per gallon lemon scent . Works great and inexpensive .
Vacuum . Sanitaire is hard to beat and if you're happy with that one the price is great .
I use a couple different ones . A Hoover plastic one for tighter areas and a Kirby Sentria for big open spaces .
Microfiber mop . Directmopsales.com and use their poles and aluminum holder . Have the Rubbermaid but it's twice the price and junk in my book compared to the set up from Direct Mop Sales . Everything I've purchased from them works great , holds up and inexpensive to boot . Fast shipping and the orders are correct each time .
Wood cleaner . This I need some advice on and will watch closely to what others say .
Glass Cleaner . Sprayway . I've heard great reports from Old Carpet Vet about the Ecolab glass cleaner . Again Sam's Club and very inexpensive .
Degreaser . Sound like a broken record but Ecolab or Zep 505 .
Oven cleaner / Stone cleaner . Don't use them so I can't say .
Wood / laminate floor cleaner . Ecolab no rinse / neutral floor cleaner . Use it on tile , vinyl tile ,laminate floors and works great . At less than $5 per gallon it's hard to beat .
I can't purchase from the local janitorial suppliers less expensive products .
Hope it helps .
All the Best, Ed

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
Vacuums- windsor sensor or versamatics are great. I also have a kirby ( my on the truck vacuum) all are great vacuums.

I get my cleaning chems from AutoChlor for janitorial or household cleaners. 5 gallons of there blue multipurpose. Use on glass, counters, in cabinets, appliances. Stuff is great for everything.

Laminate: buy a gallon of quickshine. Dulute it to two gallons. Cleans alot of sqft and leaves an awesome sheen.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I do all the carpet cleaning but my residential cleaning service side for homes (maintenance, post construction and move in/out) and vacation rental turnover is exploding and I'm looking to upgrade beyond the usual pledges, windex, etc and curious what everyone uses..
GREEN options are a welcome addition when possible as I'm eventually looking to go all green for marketing purposes and even more so for mine and my workers health.
Get Ahold of your local Commercial Chemical Supply Rep or company. Some are great and helpfull. Others less so. When I switched to this I threw away all my over the counter windex, pledge ect. I use spartan chemicals.

Vacuum - I have 3 of these that work pretty great overall just wondering what every else is working with.
I have one vacuum like yours and I hate it. Buy a windsor or a pro team and it will change everything. For housecleaning/janitorial both you need a "wand" that you can pull out and clean corners, edges, etc.

Microfiber mop setup - we use the rubbermaid one now but its so damn short, any suggestions are appreciated
Rubbermaid makes one with an adjustable handle. It isn't great but its better. I have one off Amazon that I love. Its much better than the rubbermaid commercial ones and half the price.

General / all purpose cleaner - need to upgrade from the simple green we've been working with
You really should be using something disinfecting for most things. You can even market this to customers. I use DMQ by spartan. It disinfects everything to medical grade standards but is very gentle on surfaces.

Glass Cleaner - looking for a good everyday non butyl, along with a heavy duty version for those badly stained glass shower door and windows
I use aerosol cans from my local supplier.

Degreaser - for the stove tops and hoods, 11-13 pH I hear is best just curious what brands others are using
Again, refer to your local supplier. You save money usually because of dilution rates vs over the counter products and you dont pay shipping.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT

There are a lot of shades of green. Be careful to understand just what is being offered when something is sodl to you as green. Then be sure your customer understands what you are offering or not offering. Public is getting tired of "green washing."

For carpet cleaning, Bridgepoint offers Green Balance line of presprays and rinse agents. The Interlink Supply website explains what makes it green. Among other key points, all ingredients are from the U.S. EPA Clean Ingredients list, Designed for the Environment (DfE).

Microfiber cloths - any recommended brands that you've found are better than others? Ours must be getting worn because they give off so much fuzz lately (or maybe because we've washed them with cotton rags?)

It is common for the importers, distributors of microfiber cloths to get them from various sources. When washing them, do not mix with other things being cleaned. Do not use blech. Do not use high heat. Do not use fabric softeners. This will give you the longest useful life. After 40 to 50 uses, they are not very effective. They may still be good for wiping, but time to change them out for new cloths if you want the advantages of microfiber.

I like the Pro-Force / Pro Team vacuums. The newest models are very easy to do basic repairs such as new belts, getting unclogged and such. This can save some major time. Very good vacuum but a little pricey.

AAA USe Viper 7 for a neutral cleaner. Another Green product, concentrated. hi

Wood cleaner - a concentrated version of something better than pledge

Glass cleaner - looking for a good everyday non butyl, along with a heavy duty version for those badly stained glass shower door and windows

Groom Solutions has a good glass cleaner that is almost always streak free. But it comes full strength which makes it cost more than concentrated products.

Omni Pro Vission is a mild degreaser. Omni Pro Fire Power is the high test version of degreaser for fire cdlean-up and other heavy soils loads. Atomic from Benefect is a natural degreaser and works very well on grease from natural sources such as cooking oils and also fire clean-up.

Stone cleaner - I'm using just the plain old windex all purpose right now

Using Windex on stone has a potential to become a real problem. It ocntains chelating agents made to remove hard water deposits. Calcium, magnesium and other minerals in stone react the same if dissolved in your water or in the stone. You don't want the cleaner to react with the surface you are cleaning. The colored dyes can also affect some stone. I strongly suggest Spinergy stone care products. Vivid for routine cleaning; Stone Perfect when you need a heavy duty cleaner.
Vivid link - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CST03GL

Stone Perfect Link - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CST01GL

Wood / laminate floor cleaner - we use the laminator+ maintenance cleanerwith some pretty great results but PRICEY, so I water it down a bit. If you know something better I"m all ears

The Hydro-Force line of wood products is very good and less expensive than what you are using now. The Basic wood products would be another good line.
Here is alink for the Hydro-Force Wood products - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?search_val=wood
Wood Fresh; HEavy Duty Wood Cleaner and wood preservation finishes

NYCraig

Dec 4, 2016
Real Name
Craig M
2 for 2 Scott, thank you once again for the great reply. Agreed about the "green washing" effect. Green, sustainable, eco-friendlty, etc. can get to be too much for clients to digest. As I said, the health of my workers and I are my main concern really.

Will be sure to check out the products you've listed, thanks again.

NYCraig

Dec 4, 2016
Real Name
Craig M
So for my glass cleaner I went with Betco's green earth product with good results and no more powerful odors. For an all purpose cleaner in residential settings I purchased benefect's concentrated multi purpose cleaner(not the super pricey disinfectant).

I also purchased a nice array of products from direct mop sales for mopping and dusting. Purchased a microfiber mop bucket as well. Really liking that set up over the tradition mop head and bucket.

I was curious though for residential application if betco's hydrogen peroxide based disinfectant (oxyfect), or any other brand that has a similar cleaner, would be suitable for using in place of some other disinfectants with more powerful fumes? It says it kills only gram positive bacteria which I've done some hw on. I'm going to guess in commercial settings a product that kills both negative and positive is necessary but I'd like to know if it would be ok for vacation rental and other residential cleaning applications?

Also I still have not added a new vacuum to the mix and was curious if anyone has more suggestions for sub $300 models.. I'm going to need to purchase 3 over the next few weeks and need something that balances price and effectiveness with being able to run up to 8 hours a day.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Proteam uprights are what we use.

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor

There are a lot of shades of green. Be careful to understand just what is being offered when something is sodl to you as green. Then be sure your customer understands what you are offering or not offering. Public is getting tired of "green washing."

For carpet cleaning, Bridgepoint offers Green Balance line of presprays and rinse agents. The Interlink Supply website explains what makes it green. Among other key points, all ingredients are from the U.S. EPA Clean Ingredients list, Designed for the Environment (DfE).

It is common for the importers, distributors of microfiber cloths to get them from various sources. When washing them, do not mix with other things being cleaned. Do not use blech. Do not use high heat. Do not use fabric softeners. This will give you the longest useful life. After 40 to 50 uses, they are not very effective. They may still be good for wiping, but time to change them out for new cloths if you want the advantages of microfiber.

I like the Pro-Force / Pro Team vacuums. The newest models are very easy to do basic repairs such as new belts, getting unclogged and such. This can save some major time. Very good vacuum but a little pricey.

AAA USe Viper 7 for a neutral cleaner. Another Green product, concentrated. hi

Wood cleaner - a concentrated version of something better than pledge

Glass cleaner - looking for a good everyday non butyl, along with a heavy duty version for those badly stained glass shower door and windows

Groom Solutions has a good glass cleaner that is almost always streak free. But it comes full strength which makes it cost more than concentrated products.

Omni Pro Vission is a mild degreaser. Omni Pro Fire Power is the high test version of degreaser for fire cdlean-up and other heavy soils loads. Atomic from Benefect is a natural degreaser and works very well on grease from natural sources such as cooking oils and also fire clean-up.

Stone cleaner - I'm using just the plain old windex all purpose right now

Using Windex on stone has a potential to become a real problem. It ocntains chelating agents made to remove hard water deposits. Calcium, magnesium and other minerals in stone react the same if dissolved in your water or in the stone. You don't want the cleaner to react with the surface you are cleaning. The colored dyes can also affect some stone. I strongly suggest Spinergy stone care products. Vivid for routine cleaning; Stone Perfect when you need a heavy duty cleaner.
Vivid link - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CST03GL

Stone Perfect Link - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CST01GL

Wood / laminate floor cleaner - we use the laminator+ maintenance cleanerwith some pretty great results but PRICEY, so I water it down a bit. If you know something better I"m all ears

The Hydro-Force line of wood products is very good and less expensive than what you are using now. The Basic wood products would be another good line.
Here is alink for the Hydro-Force Wood products - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?search_val=wood
Wood Fresh; HEavy Duty Wood Cleaner and wood preservation finishes
I have been using meguires glass cleaner it's very very concentrated. I love that stuff and it's smells amazing.