Looking to get into crime scene clean up. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Looking to get into crime scene clean up.

Discussion in 'Bio-Hazard, Crime Scene, Trauma, Cleanup Forum' started by beau, Dec 4, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. beau

beau Active Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Male
    Carpet cleaning/ Water damage restoration.
    BC, Canada
    Ratings:
    +80 / 4 / -0
    So while dealing with the police(Another issue about a neighbor) they asked since my company had the word "bio" in it if i did Trauma clean up, as no one in the area currently does so, and they end up bringing in guys from 3 hours away.

Of course this got me thinking that I should actually expand my training and begin offering such a service. Only problem is I cant seem to find anything online about what kind of courses I would need in Canada, it almost seems like the "certification" aspect of it is not regulated at all. Anyone know if thats the case? Either way Im going to seek training but just want to make sure that what courses I take are the correct ones for being legal.

If there is not an actual legal certification thats needed, does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of doing the online training through Amdecon over the winter(https://amdecon.com/cts-course/)

And before anyone asks, I dont mind blood/gore And no I don't get squeamish, I can also deal with grieving people well enough.(At least I believe so on that last part)

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions and help a guy out! Cheers!

2. OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    F.A.R.T. = Fabric Analyst & Restoration Technician
    Florida
    Ratings:
    +4,701 / 8 / -0
    I highly recommend that you talk with John Klucznik @BonnetPro as he has done quite a bit of crime scene clean up work in the past. He will be a valuable source of to you. Good luck to you.

3. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,531 / 11 / -1
    Amdecon is a good source of training. American Bio-Recovery (ABRA) is another place for information. Not sure if it is available in Canada.

Our organization hosts training classes from Restoration Scinces Academy and sometimes other trainers. IICRC is developing a new class in trauma clean-up that will be available soon.

Check with Safety Express / Select Pro for training in Canada. They have 11 locations including BC, I think Moncton is the city. No classes scheduled in BC right now, but we will schedule if there is enough interest. So, let the local manager know if you want to attend a class there.

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,835 / 0 / -0
    I took RSA's class, and it is indeed educational - not only from the standpoint of bloodborne pathogens and their danger, but from the standpoint of dealing in a professional and compassionate manner with the family and friends involved.

Most guys in the business say it's not the smell, the mess, or the maggots that eventually drives them out - it's the emotional impact once they allow themselves to imagine the fear or pain the victim was in. A technician who allows themselves to feel too much empathy for the people involved very quickly leaves the industry. Conversely, a completely unsympathetic and cold technician will have a hard time finding work.

An OSHA 10-hour course is also highly recommended, and any Health and Safety equivalencies you can find.

Make sure you document everything before and after the job, particularly if anything that might be considered evidence (bullets or fragments, drugs/drug paraphenelia, body parts, etc) is uncovered in the process. Arrange for biohazardous wastes to be disposed of in accordance with local laws. Develop a good relationship with the local police and first responders, get a name as a respectful, thorough, and dependable person, and you'll soon find more work than you can handle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. beau

beau Active Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Male
    BC, Canada
    Ratings:
    +80 / 4 / -0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely be checking out a few more things before I jump into this.

6. BayouCitySteam

BayouCitySteam Active Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Male
    Certified Technician
    Houston Texas
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Following. I receive 1-2 calls per month currently.

7. beau

beau Active Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Male
    BC, Canada
    Ratings:
    +80 / 4 / -0
    What size population is in your area if you don' mind me asking? And what are those jobs brining in?

8. BayouCitySteam

BayouCitySteam Active Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Male
    Certified Technician
    Houston Texas
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I’m in houston. I don’t bid them-wouldn’t know where to start.

9. Luky

Luky Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Male
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +431 / 2 / -0
    I believe that from aside business perspective( a big $ in it) there is a different protocol( that you'll learn if you put effort in the process) and another aspect( mind & body) There is a nothing that can prepare you for what you believe you you can take in.
    Unfortunately, I can't provide any pictures, but if you PM me, I can elaborate more. Mark my words, you'll have more questions without seeing body on the scene .
    Great example on how to deal with this situation are medical workers ( nurses, doctors, etc) You can get used to it, but like with anything else , persistence, determination and inner cool (mental stability) is a must