Looking for average time to strip vct with the aid of an auto scrubber. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Looking for average time to strip vct with the aid of an auto scrubber.

Chet

Nov 13, 2007
Waterford, Michigan
Real Name
Chet Sadowski
I'm trying to figure out some costs for strip and wax and i'm looking to see how many square feet of vct tile you can strip per hour using an auto scrubber to pick up the slurry and rinse with. This would include edging and cleaning the vinyl base.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
There is no average unless you are the one who has been stripping floors and re waxing with the same products and tools for years. Different people put different amounts of wax on the floor. Different people put different amounts of wax on the edges. Some people strip floors clean, others down to the tile. Some use sealer. Some dont. Some people leave baseboards a mess, some dont. Some autoscrubbers are poor at stripping. Some arnt. You didnt even mention how many people you will be using.

Reactions: floorclean

Sanipro

Aug 16, 2016
Real Name
Mario Gonzalez
I'm trying to figure out some costs for strip and wax and i'm looking to see how many square feet of vct tile you can strip per hour using an auto scrubber to pick up the slurry and rinse with. This would include edging and cleaning the vinyl base.
If your trying to become efficient in vct striping and waxing , you gotta look at the equipment. Autoscrubbers are not effective stripping floors. We use propane striping machines and they are meant for large spaces. You can strip as fast as you can push a lawn mower. Now, there is striper applicator made by Aztec as well as the guzzler which picks up slurry without using battery power . If you don’t clean the vacuum system on your autoscrubbers, then it will clog and fail at a job . Trust me . If anything , use autoscrubbers to to neutralize and clean before applying wax . Finally, there are wax applicators that spread wax by you pulling in the cart and pumps wax towards a flat mop that your dragging behind. All of this will help you become more efficient in doing vct work .

Chet

Nov 13, 2007
Waterford, Michigan
Real Name
Chet Sadowski
There is no average unless you are the one who has been stripping floors and re waxing with the same products and tools for years. Different people put different amounts of wax on the floor. Different people put different amounts of wax on the edges. Some people strip floors clean, others down to the tile. Some use sealer. Some dont. Some people leave baseboards a mess, some dont. Some autoscrubbers are poor at stripping. Some arnt. You didnt even mention how many people you will be using.
I'm asking about a 2 person crew. one stripping with a swing machine and the other sucking up slurry with the auto scrubber. Doing an outstanding job., no furniture to move. So yes baseboards cleaned and stripped, 6 coats of finish. I would be looking for maybe 3 levels of production rates. 1. A trashed floor with lots of wax 2. Normal, some worn and soiled open areas a little wax on edges and corners 3. Maintenance strip and wax

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I'm asking about a 2 person crew. one stripping with a swing machine and the other sucking up slurry with the auto scrubber. Doing an outstanding job., no furniture to move. So yes baseboards cleaned and stripped, 6 coats of finish. I would be looking for maybe 3 levels of production rates. 1. A trashed floor with lots of wax 2. Normal, some worn and soiled open areas a little wax on edges and corners 3. Maintenance strip and wax
With all due respect no one can answer that. As mentioned about. You have as close an answer as can be provided.

Reactions: Robert86

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
There are so many variables in this its very hard to give an answer. Every floor is different. Your question is one that is better answered through personal experience.

It can take me about 5 hours to do anything from 1,000 sq ft to 3,000 sq ft. But thats working with floors I've been doing for several years. I've had a floor, 1550 sq ft, looked in good shape, clean and all, not a lot of wax on it, took 17 hours. There isn't a lot of standard to gauging time on this stuff.

Last edited:

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
I have found using auto scrubbers help out a lot. I utilize them in our larger Janitorial accounts to clean the floor prior to work, apply stripper and use a 175, then use the auto scrubber afterwards to pick up the wax removed and to give a nice rinse to the floor. Afterwards use a flat mop to apply the wax.

Oct 27, 2019
Real Name
TOMMY BATTLE
why would someone use an auto scrubber to pickup gummy as hell floor finish and clog up the scrubber hoses and mechanism, they should be using a wet and dry vac preferably with a front end squeegee attachment the wet vac should be thoroughly rinse after use. Auto scrubber is best use for rinsing after stripping floors and basic floor scrubbing among other floor applications.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019
Real Name
TOMMY BATTLE
why would someone use an auto scrubber to pickup gummy as hell floor finish and clog up the scrubber hoses and mechanism, they should be using a wet and dry vac preferably with a front end squeegee attachment the wet vac should be thoroughly rinse after use. Auto scrubber is best use for rinsing after stripping floors and basic floor scrubbing among other floor applications.

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
We have some auto scrubbers that can do a job way faster than a wet dry vac. In some cases we can even do it nearly twice as fast. Pick up another job and make another 3000 alone can pay for the machine in one job. These machines work so good that we are in the process of buying more. We still use wet/dry vacs though, it all depends on the building and the speed required, and of course work demands. We use 2 Orbot Vibes that we purchased from TMF for the stripping part. I never used an auto scrubber for stripping, because of the battery life of the auto scrubber usually is about 1.25 hours.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I think the better question is why wouldn’t you use an auto scrubber to strip and wax. If the question was why would you use a truck mount, that I would get. Auto scrubbers are designed to be used for stripping floors. Only a complete hack would use it and not clean it after words. The only part that might get a build up of slurry would be the vac hose. And if that over time had to get replaced it wouldn’t be a big deal. And even saying that I’ve never had to replace one from a build up of slurry. Even the larger auto scrubbers 44” ride on ones where the deck has to come off to clean has never been a problem. In fact a build up of dirty sand and salt makes the underneath just and hard and tough to clean.
So in my never to be humble opinion don’t be ridiculous use the tools the way they were meant to be used.

Reactions: Robert86

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Plenty of auto scrubbers I would never strip a floor with. But many are designed for it and do it just fine. Really no difference in basic design between an auto scrubber and the style wet vac you described except an auto scrubber also scrubs so one less machine to mess with.