Looking for advice.. New member.. cleaning technique | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Looking for advice.. New member.. cleaning technique

razz

Jun 25, 2020
Real Name
Stan
Hello truckmountforums. I have recently been furloughed from my bus.financing job, and am strongly considering starting a carpet and T&G cleaning business in my area ( Brooklyn, NY). First off, i would like to say that this forum and it members have been extremely helpful with their insight. After weeks of research on this forum, I originally planned to jump into the deep end of the pool with a 10k start up investment ( portable with hoses and a wand, orbiter, ford transit connect, chemicals, LLC registration). This changed when i came across youtube videos of cleaners achieving pretty good results with low moisture cleaning with an orbiter on both carpet/ T&G. I ask for your advice on the following cleaning techniques:
FOR CARPET: dry vacuuming, prespray- black label, agitation with oreck, going over with a rental rug doctor- with rinsing solution, back to oreck with bonnet to help with drying time?
FOR TILE ( interested in doing commercial locations): prespray groutmaster, agitate with oreck, wet vacuuming, going over with an orbiter bonnet?

Do you see any issues with these cleaning techniques? I appreciate any advice and your time! Sorry for the long post.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Do not go with a rug doctor setup, unless you're simply doing this part-time and plan on only doing 1-2 jobs a day. You simply won't be able to do more.

razz

Jun 25, 2020
Real Name
Stan
I would focus on homes.

If i do not rinse with rug doctor, how will i neutralize the prespray? Should i soak the bonnet in a acid rinse solution and cut out the step with the rug doctor?Should i use a neutral prespray agent instead?

Thanks for replies!

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
For homes, customers want to see a van and truckmount.

If I were you, I would get a low amp portable and clean condos/apartments.

Reactions: Thewy

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
For homes, customers want to see a van and truckmount.

If I were you, I would get a low amp portable and clean condos/apartments.
I’d go to the Mytee site. Mytee airhog. Mytee waterhog or whatever else the have for solution. 175 buffer with brush and pad driver. Wand.

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Your still looking at 5-7k if your buying new. You could go on eBay also and get the startup porty package.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Mytee Vortex is a good machine.

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
I suggest a dual 2 stage machine. So you never have to worry about popping breakers.

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
In my area, some apartments can not run an LX machine. Not even a dual 3 stage. Dual 2 stage is fine at 15 ft.

razz

Jun 25, 2020
Real Name
Stan
Appreciate all of the advice. Will i be able to achieve similar results with an orbiter, good solution, enough agitation and a little elbow grease as a portable? Id like to start very slowly first to see if i can get enough traction with clients, get a better understanding of the local market and get an understanding of what this business is all about before i start investing in expensive equipment. Is this a reasonable approach, or is a portable an absolute must to provide great cleaning results? thx

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Is there any way you can attend a class or two? If you don't have the experience all the methods you are interested in doing could come back to haunt you. You do not want to use your customers carpet as an experiment. If you are going to go down that road I would try apartments to gain your experience. People today will pick up really fast if you are in it for the long haul or just joking around. I would never show up with a portable at someones house.

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
A bonnet is not a good solution. Get a use dual 2 stage portable with 15 ft hose and learn how to clean carpets in apartments.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
To me especially if I were going to be working an area with high rises, the Mytee Airhog modular system is a pretty awesome system.
Appreciate all of the advice. Will i be able to achieve similar results with an orbiter, good solution, enough agitation and a little elbow grease as a portable? Id like to start very slowly first to see if i can get enough traction with clients, get a better understanding of the local market and get an understanding of what this business is all about before i start investing in expensive equipment. Is this a reasonable approach, or is a portable an absolute must to provide great cleaning results? thx
well then I’d say get a job working for a company. Starting out with a rug doctor and orbiter if you have enough money for a portable is foolish.......even a couple grand isn’t that big of an investment.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
As Odin would say we have a new troll.

razz

Jun 25, 2020
Real Name
Stan
by no means trolling, just a lack of experience, and might come off that way. From what i can see the advice seems to be unanimous- start with apartments and buy a portable. thank you all for sharing.

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
You can also contact local realtors and property management companies.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
You can also contact local realtors and property management companies.
Don’t just contact them
Buy 4-5 packets of the best-on trend chocolate biscuits/sweets and drop those with your cards
They will get noticed
It’s easy to sell yourself when your giving away chocolate biscuits
Personally I use Tim Tams
Even the The Prime Minister of England is swayed by Tim Tams
Tape your cards to the packet and give them a bunch
IMG_4383.JPG

Reactions: gborris