Looking For A New Ozone Machine

Discussion in 'Water Damage, Fire & Mold Restoration' started by Edward Conley, Apr 3, 2014.

1. johntalley

johntalley Elite Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Owner /Carpet cleaner
    federal Way,Wa 98003
    Ratings:
    +206 / 3 / -0
    jon don $949.00 .. wow.... is that a good price ? .... guess I'll wait to find a little better price to try it out ....

2. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,162 / 0 / -0
    Are there manufacturers that try to pull the wool over our eyes by using words like "professional", "industrial", "innovative", or "proprietary"? YES. Absolutely. I'll sit right here and say there are a ton of companies out there that think the word professional in the title means they can charge twice as much without feeling guilty.

Is Int'l Ozone one of them? Considering the feedback I get on their units versus off-the-shelf or cheap online units, NO. Heck no.

Anyone with half a brain and the right equipment can build an ozone generator or a hydroxyl machine. But the way the machines my guys get used, knocked around, and exposed to all sorts of environments, they really put these things through the wringer and the IO units can take it and keep going.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. agrantnz

agrantnz Member

May 6, 2014
    Male
    Technician
    New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I was looking for prices for one a while back. The company selling them here was too small to be producing and I ended up finding the exact look a like for 1/4 the price from China. Even with taxes and shipping I could get three for the same price.

4. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,525 / 83 / -0
    That seems really high. What make and model? Do you have a link?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. johntalley

johntalley Elite Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Owner /Carpet cleaner
    federal Way,Wa 98003
    Ratings:
    +206 / 3 / -0
    sounds like my kind of place ... Photos and info ? ... where to buy ?

6. johntalley

johntalley Elite Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Owner /Carpet cleaner
    federal Way,Wa 98003
    Ratings:
    +206 / 3 / -0
  7. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,525 / 83 / -0
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,525 / 83 / -0
    I have used a 40k mg per hour and loved it. I just ordered a 60k+ model. Will shoot a video upon arrival.

9. DamageClean

DamageClean Active Member

Apr 25, 2010
    iowa
    Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Lol. And my primary product line for drying is a Red Color so you know this isn't Drieze.

I love talking to manufacturers and debating usage and/or quality standards or perhaps the answer to "when a certain product should be used". My point is perhaps a Manufacturer Post would be better suited to ask tons of questions of a certain line of equipment..... I know there are forum posts for this....

When the post description was "looking for an ozone machine" as a reader I would prefer opinions of actual users and the pros/cons of that certain equipment from actual field users and not a manufacturer telling the benefits of their certain machine.

International Ozone please don't take this as a criticism of you or your equipment. No disrespect is or was intended.

Lol maybe I'm just so sick of all this spam marketing that hits my email accounts :)

Have a great day lady's and gents !

10. Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,162 / 0 / -0
    I can see your point, and I agree that end user advice is always helpful when making decisions on stuff like this.

It's also nice to have experts (even if they are also manufacturers, heh) who can speak in an informed manner as to what features to look for, how things work, etc - so I tend to think overall, we get a well-rounded mix of both real-life sampling and technical info from having multiple types of posters. :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. International_Ozone

International_Ozone New Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    There are many ozone generators on the market that claim to make outrageous amounts of ozone. Anybody that has any of these machines that are sold on ebay & amazon that claim to make 60K+ ozone please post a copy of their ozone analysis report and proof of insurance.

International Ozone has ozone testing capabilities and will gladly provide true results.

Portable 60k+ mg ozone machines simply do not exist.

Anybody building machines in their garages can claim anything they want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,162 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind that the information given on many units is measuring the rate of ozone generated by oxygen gas only. And the air we breathe (and pass through our machines) is not pure oxygen. It is a mix of about 20% oxygen, 80% nitrogen, and small bits of other gasses for fun. So you can take that "pure oxygen" reading of 60,000mg and reduce it by 80% at least in the field.

Just for the edification of those who may be confused:

PPM = parts per million
    mg O3/m3 = milligrams of ozone per cubic meter of air space

1 PPM O3 = 2.14 mg O3/m3
    25 PPM O3 = lethal dosage for animals in lab tests at 3 hours of exposure (estimated lethal dose for humans is 40-50 PPM based on body weight)

So a true "60,000mg ozone unit" would be pumping out (60,000/2.14), or 28,037 PPM ozone, which is almost 600 times the estimated lethal dose.

Umm... no thanks. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Russ McCubbin

Russ McCubbin New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    GOOD INFORMATION - Love hearing from an educated ozone user.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Russ McCubbin

Russ McCubbin New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You are all professionals here. When you go on a job the first thing your customer asks for is your business license and your liability insurance. What would be wrong with asking your ozone or hydroxyl generator supply for a copy of their company license and product liability insurance. To take it a step further why not get the make and model of their ozone analyzer and a report on the ozone output of the ozone generator they are selling, tested with that analyzer. I bet a dollar they do not have an ozone analyzer since they cost thousands of dollars and I don't believe very many of the ozone generator buyers here have their own ozone analyzer.

International Ozone is a 25 year plus manufacturer of ozone for air & water purification the medical industry. We have to know what out equipment puts out. Our TZ-2 at 3 mg/hr is a monster and its ozone output has been certified by third party laboratory testing. An ozone generators output depended on temperature, humidity, pollutant load, etc... Our "SP-ARC" Technology has been in service for over twenty years with tens of thousands of units in the field with 100% customer satisfaction. FYI - Corona Discharge ozone generators are very humidity sensitive.

All corona discharge units on the market except for Total Zone have metal in their ozone producing areas. We you use ambient air, it is very hard to dry 100 CFM+ of air, you always have humidity. When this humidity is hit with the high voltage from the corona arc nitric acid is produced. This acid corrodes the metal on plates, tubes or rods of the other units on the market causing them to need to be cleaned or repaired on a regular basis. The "SP-ARC" Modules in our Total Zone units have no metal in the ozone producing area and therefor are maintenance free. We actually give the end user of our products a "Lifetime Output Warranty" that states -

If you ever feel your Total Zone is not making ozone like it did when it was new - Send it back to us and we will make new for you - FREE OF CHARGE. No body has a warranty like this. Sonosaire, Queenaire, Zontec, US Products and any of the units using China Surface Etched Ceramic Plates all are affected by humidity and must be cleaned or repaired on a regular basis. We have a "Customer Satisfaction Guaranty" and have never in 20+ years had to take a unit back. We also are covered by a 3 MILLION DOLLAR PRODUCT LIABILITY INSURANCE POLICY that we have never had to use. Ask you garage manufacturer for a copy of his insurance.

If something goes wrong with the garage built Chinese unit and you cause property damage you will need the insurance. Be smart in your professional business. One last thing - You can hold a Total Zone ozone generator over your head and drop it and it will not be damaged. No other ozone generator on the market can make this claim. I apologize in advance if this was too much.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,525 / 83 / -0
    The all bold and no paragraphs were too much. Good info and fixed. ;-)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +9,878 / 11 / -1
    To add to what Russ stated about ceramic etched plates and liability insurance, let me tell an experience I had when doing fire damage restoration.

Our company had used the Sonozaire / Howe-Baker ozone units for several years with good sucees. They did require a lot of maintenance and were heavy. So, I decided to purchase on of the new lighter weight ozone gnerators that used foreign made ceramic plates.

This was placed in our ozone room with some furniture, books, clothes and other ocntents from a fire site. They needed deodorization. Just after noon, the ozone machine was left on a timer to run 12 hours. Before heading home just after 5 PM, I checked our ozone chamber. Good thing!

The ozone machine itself was on fire. The arc had burned through the ceramic plate. A variable reistance unit had over-heated and melted plastic in the area which eventually caught fire. I was now adding smoke and odor to the clothes I was trying to deodorize.

The manufacturer claimed to have 100% gauarantee and liability insurance. But they did little to respond except to eventually (after 2 months of back and forth) send me parts to repair my unit.

• Like Like x 2
  17. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,525 / 83 / -0
    @Scott W
    @Mama Fen
    @Russ McCubbin
    @International_Ozone

Remember I am relatively new at this but learning fast. I asked the guy I bought mine from your concerns and points. This was his reply;

"The standard for the industry is ratings of systems are based on a oxygen supply. No issue there. Obviously, that means use of ambient air will lower the output. Just know that this is the comparison for all systems unless the unit is small enough to work on 3-5 liter per minute air supply .

So, to do an "apples to apples" comparison, the fact is a higher output with oxygen supply translates to a higher output with ambient air. That is still more power for the job.

Back in the day when there were 5000 mg/hr systems, it was the same then too. Of course, many prefer to estimate their output. So, a few have used a very loose comparison for years.

The 64G Pro is rated per an oxygen supply, so the actual output will be less with ambient air. Bottom line, the system produces great volume of ozone.

If anyone wishes to supplement an oxygen supply, we attach a barbed inlet that would be like a super charger for the unit. But, once you experience the power of the system, an oxygen supply seem like overkill.

Beside, at 172 CFM, you could never get enough oxygen to the system anyway. We are treated thousands of cubic feet of AIR, not 3 liters per minute for a medical application.

Oxygen supply ozone is great and frankly better. But, that application is out of our reach for remediation purposes. With appreciation for medical grade ozone and specific treatments, it is an extreme to cross these ideas.

Yes, the ratings have been based on oxygen supply so we all have a common baseline for comparison. With ambient air, the output is not as high. But, I would rather have 25% of 64,000 than 25% of 10,000."

You thoughts?

18. Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,162 / 0 / -0
    No complaints with his explanation whatsoever - it's very up front and specific. My only concern is that there aren't a lot of people out there who would think to ask "wow, is 64k a lot? Am I gonna get that when I take this unit into my ozone chamber at the shop and turn it on?"

They assume that, since 64k is what's listed as the output, then they will functionally expect 64k output. It won't occur to many users to question whether the air they're passing through the unit is the same as the gas being passed through it for the test that achieved that output.

According to most testing data (and this is where different labs will make different claims based on humidity and the technician's ability to perceive odor), ozone begins to destroy odor at a perceivable level at .1 PPM. Significant odors (putrefaction, sewage, mercaptans, etc) require treatment in the .4 to 1.0 PPM range. This is assuming at least 40% humidity - higher humidity will allow lower levels of ozone to achieve similar results.

So my thinking is, if treatment with 1.0 PPM will do the trick, why would we need 5,600 PPM? Five thousand times the necessary amount? Are we trying to turn massive amounts of CFM? Are we trying to hit it hard and take less time? If so, are we worried about the structural damage involved? Are rubbers, plastics, and other manmade materials being degraded or damaged by quantities that high? Are we, in essence, pushing out a more dangerous level of ozone to save time, when a lower level would be just as effective, do less damage, and just take a little longer?

(I believe that, since Int'l Ozone's machines are smaller-output, their output ratings are based on ambient air, not pure oxygen, so their stated output should be accurate in the field)

I'm going to defer to the experts here and accept any corrections that may be winging my way on the maths or concepts stated above. I learn from this board daily, and if I'm in the wrong here I'll learn that too. ;)

• Like Like x 2