Looking at a used portable | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Looking at a used portable

Jrowle34

Jan 23, 2018
Real Name
Jeremy Rowley
Hey everyone. I am just getting started in carpet cleaning I came across a local used Olympus m1200. I am likely going to go take a look at it this week. What are some things I should check on it? I have used a portable to clean before but have never owned or maintained one so I am going into this somewhat blind.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Is this for personal use at home or for business? If for business ide get a new machine for simple fact of reliability.
But if your set on it. 1st look at overall is it cracked.
2nd ide open it up does it look filthy in cabinet like nasty water had been flung around in there. Are motors rusted. Wires do they look burnt or melted.
Close it up and plug in turn on. Put hand over intake a few times listening for the motors sounds. Any grinding? Pump can be sneaky. Pour a bucket of water in tank ant try the pump. But try it with a wand keyed on and off paying attention to sound and pressure. Just a few things ide look at off the top of my head.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
  • Fresh water tank and waste water can be filled with water to be sure nothing leaks.
  • Run vacuum motors and listen to the sound. If they have been sitting awhile, they may need a shot of lubrication (WD-40 or similar) through the intake while they are running.
  • Feel the suction they produce.
  • Turn off the vacuums and listen to the pump motor and then test for the water pressure. You should be able to get 900 -1000 PSI.
  • Look inside the mechanical area to see if there are any obvious problems such as rust, loose or broken wires.
Olympus is a decent machine. It should work well if it was taken care of. I can get you an owners manual if you need one. Send an email request to slewis@interlinksupply.com

EDT

Oct 18, 2019
Real Name
Eric D Tracy
Email me at edtwelding@yahoo.com if you need custom waste water tanks. I can build stainless steel or carbon steel tanks a lot cheaper than you can buy them.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
Hey everyone. I am just getting started in carpet cleaning I came across a local used Olympus m1200. I am likely going to go take a look at it this week. What are some things I should check on it? I have used a portable to clean before but have never owned or maintained one so I am going into this somewhat blind.
Olympus is a Sandia body body. The same as a prospector at JonDon. 1 1/2” inlet. That kills your cfm. Many machines have 2” now a days. Some like the Escape start with 2.5” and than can reduce to 2” but allows for long hose runs. The Olympus and the Sandia/prospector the body design makes it difficult if not impossible to change the inlet from 1 1/2” to 2”. It’s a non starter for one looking for longer hose runs and fast drying.