Locating Urine

Dakotar51

Oct 11, 2019
Real Name
Dakota Reimer
What are your methods of locating urine in carpet when the carpet hides it well?

I've had a few jobs the last two weeks where I could not see the staining of the urine, but could definitely tell it was there due to smell. I applied a topical treatment to the entire room, and was notified the odor was still present a day later. What methods can I use to truly locate where the problematic areas are, so that I can properly treat them.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
I have had few interesting situations recently.
One, I cleaned a carpet , using a light to locate, with owner present. Following cleaning I pulled out the light and all yellow flourescence was gone? I was under the impression that even though you do a proper job, the flourecense is permanent.? It is a poly.
And recently at a homeowner who I know. No smell obvious odor, but we were investigating other things. Used my UV light , no flouresence. Pulled the carpet back in one area and the back was stained , and lit up dramatically. , and some odor was present.
The home owner does clean themselves often, with a little home extractor.
This carpet also is poly.
So, does poly, and maybe olefin not take on the aspects of urine that flourese permanantlyl?
I know. my spelling of the glowing urine is wrong!!!lol~!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I have had few interesting situations recently.
One, I cleaned a carpet , using a light to locate, with owner present. Following cleaning I pulled out the light and all yellow flourescence was gone? I was under the impression that even though you do a proper job, the flourecense is permanent.? It is a poly.
And recently at a homeowner who I know. No smell obvious odor, but we were investigating other things. Used my UV light , no flouresence. Pulled the carpet back in one area and the back was stained , and lit up dramatically. , and some odor was present.
The home owner does clean themselves often, with a little home extractor.
This carpet also is poly.
So, does poly, and maybe olefin not take on the aspects of urine that flourese permanantlyl?
I know. my spelling of the glowing urine is wrong!!!lol~!
You might have been highlighting the cleaner residue that the owner used. Then rinsed it all away?. Yes usually urine stains will still reflect uv light even after cleaning. Maybe more so on certain fibers then others. Not sure exactly on that one. Scott w may have answer on that.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Cleaners I think usually show up a different color/ more whitish, or blueish, whereas the urine is more yellow, ----- I think?

But , when I think, I think I may often be wrong. ! ;) :D :D :LOL:

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Cleaners I think usually show up a different color/ more whitish, or blueish, whereas the urine is more yellow, ----- I think?

But , when I think, I think I may often be wrong. ! ;) :D :D
Ive walked around my house with the light testing it on common things. Everything reflects differently. A lot of cleaning chemicals do show up purple or white. Piss has that ugly faint greenish yellow. Hard to tell with uv throwing off the colors. I always loose them or throw them out. But the Yellow glasses do help. Also cuts down on the strain on your eyes.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
How good is your UV light?