Local Interlink Distributor Lied To Me | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Local Interlink Distributor Lied To Me

TWalters

Jun 22, 2018
Real Name
Tristen Walters
Went to my local interlink distributor a few days ago. I was picking up some Bridgepoint spotters that needed refilled. I got asked by the one running the location “what presprays do you use? I only see you buy rinse and spotters” I said I use bridgepoint for spotters and rinse, but TMF presprays.

He then asks if I want to know a secret. I said sure, thinking possibly interlink would begin carrying TMF products soon. Then he said “Rob only rebrands other companies products. Which do you use?” I told him biopro 10K mainly. He then walked me over to flex powder with citrus solv, and says it’s the exact same as biopro, just not TMF brand.

Of course I have used both and know that they are very different. But what’s the point in trying to lie about it? Did he think he was going to get one over on me? I’ll continue using bridgepoint but I doubt I’ll be visiting that distributor anymore. I try my best to not support dishonest people. It’s the only one within a 2 hour drive though.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
If you look at active ingredients in EVERY cleaning chemical out there and take notes, you'll find that the vast majority of them use one or two of about 12 different agents in them with very little truly "unique" chemistry out there.

The difference in performance lies in concentration, quality of base materials, and the chemist's knowledge of how well the different agents work with each other (cationic versus anionic surfactants, etc).

I am often asked by my local guys to compare different chemicals from virtually every brand out there, and I respond by saying "you can have so many green Legos in a bag, and so many blue Legos, and so many red Legos, and what you BUILD with them can be totally different. So just the types of chemicals in the bottle is only part of the story".

I am often in contact with chemists in both the cleaning and restoration industries, and I can tell you that every one I've spoken to has a deep, abiding passion for their field (frankly they wouldn't be IN it if they didn't; they could be cooking up far more profitable stuff in different fields if they so chose). And SAFETY is always their number one concern, both for their own staff and for the end consumer, because they know all it takes is ONE mistake and an entire company's reputation can be destroyed. Efficacy comes next, and cost is just about at the end of their priority chain.

You will never find a nit-pickier, more anal-retentive group of people than experienced chemists, and for that we should ALL be eternally grateful.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Im betting In his mind, your sales guy from interlink wasnt lying. His statement wasnt entirely correct, but he was being a salesman. The products he recommended to you are very good products that have similarities to robs.

Reactions: TWalters

TWalters

Jun 22, 2018
Real Name
Tristen Walters
Im betting In his mind, your sales guy from interlink wasnt lying. His statement wasnt entirely correct, but he was being a salesman. The products he recommended to you are very good products that have similarities to robs.
Oh I have no doubt that the products are good! I have flex powder with citrus Solv, and it is a great prespray. But to say a 13 PH prespray is the same exact thing as a 9 PH Enzyme prespray with butyl is not a sales pitch in my opinion.

This is in no way a bad thing pointed at bridgepoint. When I bought my truckmount and started, I was 18 with 0 time cleaning carpet. I made the jump, and Scott Warrington sent me a huge supply of chemicals. Spotters, presprays, instructional videos, ect. To help get me started. That help alone has been enough to make me a customer of bridgepoint for life, along with the quality of chemicals they make.

In my opinion, I’m a 20 year old kid who doesn’t have a ton of experience, and they know that. I believe they were trying to mislead me to switch to their products, even though I already use their products. He may have not been attempting to lie to me, but that’s what I perceived it as

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Went to my local interlink distributor a few days ago. I was picking up some Bridgepoint spotters that needed refilled. I got asked by the one running the location “what presprays do you use? I only see you buy rinse and spotters” I said I use bridgepoint for spotters and rinse, but TMF presprays.

He then asks if I want to know a secret. I said sure, thinking possibly interlink would begin carrying TMF products soon. Then he said “Rob only rebrands other companies products. Which do you use?” I told him biopro 10K mainly. He then walked me over to flex powder with citrus solv, and says it’s the exact same as biopro, just not TMF brand.

Of course I have used both and know that they are very different. But what’s the point in trying to lie about it? Did he think he was going to get one over on me? I’ll continue using bridgepoint but I doubt I’ll be visiting that distributor anymore. I try my best to not support dishonest people. It’s the only one within a 2 hour drive though.
If you want the truth, the products are made by Bridgepoint, but reformulated (slightly) and rebranded with a private label so they are "different" but essentially the same.

This happens in all industries. For example, do you like Kroger peanut butter or do you like Skippy peanut butter better? It doesn't matter because they come down the same production line and they get a different label applied before they get shoved in the box. Kroger is the world's largest producer of private label foods. If you buy any store brand, then there is a pretty good chance that it is actually a Kroger product.

Reactions: Mama Fen

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Same with Hoover and the infamous private-labeled Sears vacuum cleaners - perception is truly king sometimes.

Prestigecarpetclean

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
I only pick up flex ice amd spotters at my local interlink and encaup green i told rep i use mainly tmf products they've always had tile master and preload but recently started carrying grout master which is a win for me, i feel it depends on the rep/location my experience with local interlink has ben positive they of coarse recommend pre sprays they carry but have said good things about tmf chems as well

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
You know your winning the race when your competitors are either slamming you or there comparing them selfs to you! Damn you made it! LOL

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
The primary reason I post on forums is to educate members about cleaning chemistry and secondarily to respond to specific questions about Bridgepoint (Groom, Viper, Hydro-Force, OmniPro) products. I am also very active about training employees in the Aramsco network. I have done about thirty-five 2 to 3 minute product training videos this year. I see my primary role is to formulate new products, keep 180 current formulas up to date and to educate about chemistry to anyone who will listen. Cleaners probably only need to know about a hundred different items including chemicals, accessories and the equipment that they have chosen to use. Aramsco sales people have over 100,000 skus that they can sell. This is an impossible number of items to have enough working knowledge to discuss even a few of the items you use everyday.

One time I heard of an expose of oriental rugs stores in Washington DC. Twelve of thirteen stores sold a finely woven Chinese rayon rug as a silk rug. The media concluded that 12 stores were lying to customers. My immediate conclusion from being in the rug trade was that most of the stores did not know the difference and were not lying but were not educated about the differences.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Same with Hoover and the infamous private-labeled Sears vacuum cleaners - perception is truly king sometimes.
Epson used to make just about all the printers for computers regardless of what name was stamped on them. I used to work for Datapoint Corporation and we made our own computers but we built computers that had the Honeywell label on them. Honeywell paid to have "higher" quality standards. For instance, we used a slightly longer screw to put the sideplates on the computer. The Datapoint computer QC standard was for 1.5 threads to be showing on the reverse side where the screw came through the sideplate. The Honeywell had to have 2 threads showing. Also, the Honeywell had the unheard of amount of memory of 96K of RAM! The Datapoint had 72K of RAM on board. You paid twice as much for the Honeywell machine.