Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Hi Martin
I have cleaned the sensor and have replaced the starting unit once in 8 years of use. I now simply use a BBQ long reach Bic to light the pilot. Bic was always there for a backup.
No mirrors . That unmistakable whoosh then turn thermostat on tells me all is fine.
Happy holidays to you and your family .
Jim
Thank you JIm Happy Hollydays to you and your family too

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
trust me, just service your burner ring.... its not the regulator or the unitrol controller.

pull the burner ring and follow the video by Les. You dont need to pull the whole heater out of the truck, just disconnect and remove the burner ring #18 welding tip cleaner in the jets.

you probably got some old or nasty propane on a fill up at some point

Last edited:

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
You think the regulator is allowing enough LP for pilot but not burner?

very unlikely. These regulators last forever unless its belly mounted and taking tons of road grime and moisture. Clean pilot orafice and burner jets.

I know this because the OP exact problem has happened to us plenty of times when we let the burner ring maintenance go too long. Weve been running one 3ht for over 10 years and a #4HP for over 5 years.

Reactions: Allied

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
The only other thing I would mention is make sure you dont install one of those inline propane tank fuel level guages, the orafice is NOT big enough for the flow you need.

but that will cause your pilot to constantly go out, the main jets would still fire

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
You think the regulator is allowing enough LP for pilot but not burner?
very unlikely. These regulators last forever unless its belly mounted and taking tons of road grime and moisture. Clean pilot orafice and burner jets. I know this because the OP exact problem has happened to us plenty of times when we let the burner ring maintenance go too long. Weve been running one 3ht for over 10 years and a #4HP for over 5 years.
I have a belly mount propane tank and regulator. How did you maintain yours to keep it from acting up? Thanks

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
Is it legal to mount the belly tank inside the van? Looks like bolting it to the floor inside with a vent run outside for the pressure relief valve would be much safer.

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Is it legal to mount the belly tank inside the van? Looks like bolting it to the floor inside with a vent run outside for the pressure relief valve would be much safer.
No...the RV style belly tank i use is only approved (DOT) for outside mounting.

Robert Johnson

Oct 30, 2016
Real Name
robert johnson
This is one of the reasons I switched to a diesel heater. Constant maintenance with a Little Giant. Around every three months for me I had to clean it up. Took about two hours by the time I took heater out of van, cleaned and reinstalled it. Cleaning it was easy especially with heater sitting on a bench. After cleaning and put back together I would light it on the bench to make sure I got it all cleaned before reinstalling it.

Been three years on my new diesel heater with zero maintenance or break downs
Hello what diesel heater are you using please ???