Linen rug drying stiff | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Linen rug drying stiff

Paradise305

Jun 25, 2018
Real Name
Nick Brereton
6b51b317ca370b69053677ad93c3a3b0.jpg

I’m kind of stuck at the moment. This linen rug had urine in it and dark traffic areas which we got 95% of (The picture attached is a before). I had problems with the rug yellowing along with parts of the serging which took a few times to correct using an acid rinse and speed drying. Now the only problem I have left is the linen is drying stiff and the fibers are a bit matted down. It was rinsed out good and I used an acid rinse on it so I don’t believe Its a over saturation of detergent problem. Anybody have any ideas on how to get it softer? It would be much appreciated.

Paradise305

Jun 25, 2018
Real Name
Nick Brereton
I’m going to try and steam the whole rug this morning to see if that will soften the fibers up

Paradise305

Jun 25, 2018
Real Name
Nick Brereton
Me and another tech each had a steamer and a handi brush and steamed/groomed the whole rug. The rug is softer then it was after cleaning and the pile is more fluffed up like it was originally.

Reactions: Calgary Hog

Jrholmes99

Feb 28, 2021
Real Name
Jeff Holmes
That rug first of all is definitely viscose that’s why it is drying crusty. You have to ensure your using the right chemistry or you will make it mush. Rinsing is so important you will use more water to ensure the rug is free of suds. At the end of washing you must card the rug with a carding brush to finish rug evenly. Call Paul Lucas at chemax he has the products for these tricky products

Reactions: sbsscn

Paradise305

Jun 25, 2018
Real Name
Nick Brereton
That rug first of all is definitely viscose that’s why it is drying crusty. You have to ensure your using the right chemistry or you will make it mush. Rinsing is so important you will use more water to ensure the rug is free of suds. At the end of washing you must card the rug with a carding brush to finish rug evenly. Call Paul Lucas at chemax he has the products for these tricky products
Not viscose. I have attempted to clean many viscose rugs and we decided to stop cleaning them all together. Not worth the hassle especially if you throw pet urine and staining into the mix. The tag on that rug said 100% linen.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States

I agree it does not appear to be linen 100 percent. It looks like it has some viscose.

linen rugs dont usually get finished like the patterns on it. to do that to linen would be a waste.

I think its blended. Linen is soft but its a tough / rough fiber can be pressed and itll go smooth. but rinsing well and grooming will probably restore the soft feel

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I agree it does not appear to be linen 100 percent. It looks like it has some viscose.

linen rugs dont usually get finished like the patterns on it. to do that to linen would be a waste.

I think its blended. Linen is soft but its a tough / rough fiber can be pressed and itll go smooth. but rinsing well and grooming will probably restore the soft feel

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Always test the fiber, Youll be surprised on what youll find. Tons of mfgs do stuff like that mislabeling

I had a client who swore up and down her calvin Klein rug was wool.
I saw it and knew right away it wasnt. I even tested it in front of her and it burned just like viscose.
she was shocked and still didnt believe it. I warned her of many issues, I would only wash offsite. she paid $$ for it and I wasnt going to charge low for the risks in taking it. it was a 5x7 and I charged her $350 with the warnings of cellulose browning, warping, change of shape, shrinking. She agreed.
In the end it shrunk a bit and became out of shape, but she was happy it didnt brown. I wont mention how I prevented that from occurring (my trade secret)