Linen Browning - using TMF cotton and linen shampoo

Keeping it clean

Aug 16, 2019
Real Name
Keeping it real
We cleaned a linen sofa with the TMF cotton and linen shampoo and got a call back of it browning. What's odd is we've cleaned this sofa before using a previous product we used prior to switching to TMF and had no issues with it. Since switching to the TMF cotton and linen shampoo we haven't had issues with any other linen either so not sure what the cause is. Any idea what could have occurred and how we can correct? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 108

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We cleaned a linen sofa with the TMF cotton and linen shampoo and got a call back of it browning. What's odd is we've cleaned this sofa before using a previous product we used prior to switching to TMF and had no issues with it. Since switching to the TMF cotton and linen shampoo we haven't had issues with any other linen either so not sure what the cause is. Any idea what could have occurred and how we can correct? Thanks for your help.
That's really odd. Did you run an acid rinse?

Reactions: Keeping it clean

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Pottery barn or restoration hardware piece I'd guess. pH was left to high and possibly to wet. Hand shampoo and towel dry in direct sunlight with Haitian cotton for an immediate fix. Bucket, sea sponge and a stack of grant's towels from harbor freight is all that's needed. I love fixing these jobs for $35 a foot.

Reactions: Keeping it clean

Keeping it clean

Aug 16, 2019
Real Name
Keeping it real
Pottery barn or restoration hardware piece I'd guess. pH was left to high and possibly to wet. Hand shampoo and towel dry in direct sunlight with Haitian cotton for an immediate fix. Bucket, sea sponge and a stack of grant's towels from harbor freight is all that's needed. I love fixing these jobs for $35 a foot.
Thanks. Yes restoration hardware. It was raining that day and may have been colder than usual. Know of any other product that could correct without dragging it outside in sunlight? We have dryer fans which he did use while cleaning. (We've cleaned it a few times prior to this and had no issues with browning. Only changes were the switching the product and it was raining).

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The meta in Haitian doesn't need to be outside, just receive uv light to be more effective. Lignons in real linens (not linen weaved products) don't like drying overly wet in an alkaline state.

If I could give advice to any new guy or company with techs that does Carpet and Upholstery, it would be to give them only flex ice to clean everything on the HWE side!

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
The meta in Haitian doesn't need to be outside, just receive uv light to be more effective. Lignons in real linens (not linen weaved products) don't like drying overly wet in an alkaline state.

If I could give advice to any new guy or company with techs that does Carpet and Upholstery, it would be to give them only flex ice to clean everything on the HWE side!

I've been wondering that myself, so many things are alkaline cleaned into oblivion to begin with...

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The key is to not over wet, and to not use high PH (chemistry)
Even if its cotton shampoo.

Technically a shampoo is NOT suppose to be used as a pre spray.
Pre sprays are applied and are allowed to dwell, while a shampoo is just barely being applied and removed as fast as possible. The best way to apply a shampoo IMO is to foam it on and wipe it off, That's it. But everyone tends to treat and use shampoos like a pre spray and then browning (cellulose browning if its a plant fiber or combo) I also see some folks after shampooing, they rinse it but really a shampoo doesn't need to be rinsed, and when it is that's also where over wetting can also occur. The reducer in the shampoo gets removed or diluted and renders it useless or not very effective. If I have a client that insists on HWE on a problematic cellulose fiber then I will always explain what can negatively happen and have them sign the disclosure. But I know very well that dry pass, low moisture and correct chemistry will most likely prevent issued, It is not 100% prevention, Not doing it is 100% or using waterless cleaning (not low moisture) = Dry cleaning (solvent) but using that method also has some cautions.

Lignin is what gets released/ loosened, the compound is found in all plant based fibers (cellulose) and also in regenerative fibers such as Rayon, acetate, and viscose, etc; etc.

Using an acid rinse can help BUT it will not Stop it from occurring.

I dont mean to be a broken record player
but I strongly recommend in getting IICRC certified. Why certified? well when you take the time to actually enroll and sit (or do online training) and interact with your instructor, you gain knowledge and confidence, plus it make you slow down and pay attention, when you take the test you question yourself and realize the areas you need to improve to remain confident and you want to improve, when you pass the test and become certified your confidence level and skill level reaches a new level and you practice what you know and have learned. When you renew your dues you are reminded that you need to continue to devote yourself to the commitment of delivering the high quality standards that you learned.

Get educated, trust me its worth it in sSSO many ways!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jim Davisson

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
I just cleaned a white blended couch, no tag but I treated it like a cotton blend fabric. Oxy buff on the horse hair brush and quick pass with the upholstery tool running all fiber rinse powder. Ends up turning out fine.....My wrestle point is this, the couch is spotless to begin with, as soon as any water hits it, it gets all dark and honestly looks like worse right away, at what point are you doing more harm than good?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
understanding and knowing the type of fiber you are dealing with is important.
Every fiber has a cleaning characteristic. Understanding it will help you determine what cleaning direction to go, and its outcome. If you knew 100 % that the fiber in the couch's fabric wont give you a problem then you can go wild with it.