Let's Talk about Yelp and Google Reviews | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Let's Talk about Yelp and Google Reviews

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
It's a @the rugman package, he handles my SEO :)
NICE!!!!!!! Is that an in-house system or is it part of a software package that you have with a company?

Not to toot my own horn but Jason has gone from 8 reviews to 125 in a year - ok - what the hell TOOT TOOT!
Keep in mind - he uses the system I set up for him on pretty much every job. Doesn't matter what you use to get reviews if it never gets put into place!!!!!

russrroberts

Jan 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ
www.steamnfresh.com
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
Can someone please explain. Why does Yelp likes to take away your reviews? I notice, once you tell them that you're not interested in advertising u lose a review
It's more along the lines that yelps algorithm sees how often people log in and use their software. If you only have a few reviews and I let log in once every two months, you could be a fake profile, and if you have under 8 or 10 reviews and you're not constantly logged in searching for restaurants, etc they see you as an inactive user and they don't recommend the reviews you leave.

There are many reviews I've gotten with both my businesses that don't stick and some that weirdly do, but look at Mr. Steam and citrus fresh and see how many reviews they have that aren't recommended and you'll see its not just singlying you out.

Yelp only wants to recommend the most credible users, the ones that use it often.

You just gotta always ask people how they found you and go from there about possibly getting a review. Most people that find me on Google I ask for Google reviews, etc.

Reggie you know I absolutely hate the Fukktards at yelp but on my follow up emails I actually started putting if you're not a real yelp user, your reviews count against us.

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: alexus

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
... or they have nearly perfect reviews (one in particular has like 35 reviews and a perfect 5 star rating... suspicious much?)

I think that's an ignorant way of looking at things. I've tried collecting reviews for almost a year. I don't have a ton but a little over 30 on google and 15 that have stuck on yelp. All are five stars.

If you are nice to your customers and strive for a level of thoroughness that can't be improved upon, why would you ever get a review less than five stars?

I've never received a four star or less but if I do, I'm pretty sure I will never work for that client again. I will know that there incapable of happiness or at least I'm unable to make them happy and they should move along to find someone that can do better for them.

My stance on this may change if get another van and put an employee on it because I don't believe it's realistic to expect an employee to give the same effort and care that the owner gave.

Like someone else mentioned, ask for the yelp reviews when they find you through yelp. If they're not active yelp users or didn't contact you through yelp, the review won't stick. All others get a request for a google review through rugmans system. I often forget and also don't ask the elderly because I don't want to explain what a review is or how to leave one.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
Ogden, UT
www.revolutionfloorcare.com
Real Name
Kevin Lietz
Business Location
United States
I think that's an ignorant way of looking at things. I've tried collecting reviews for almost a year. I don't have a ton but a little over 30 on google and 15 that have stuck on yelp. All are five stars.

If you are nice to your customers and strive for a level of thoroughness that can't be improved upon, why would you ever get a review less than five stars?

I've never received a four star or less but if I do, I'm pretty sure I will never work for that client again. I will know that there incapable of happiness or at least I'm unable to make them happy and they should move along to find someone that can do better for them.

My stance on this may change if get another van and put an employee on it because I don't believe it's realistic to expect an employee to give the same effort and care that the owner gave.

Like someone else mentioned, ask for the yelp reviews when they find you through yelp. If they're not active yelp users or didn't contact you through yelp, the review won't stick. All others get a request for a google review through rugmans system. I often forget and also don't ask the elderly because I don't want to explain what a review is or how to leave one.

No I didnt mean it like that, but your right... maybe the comment was a little nieve on my part. Still trying to figure out the customer bases in our industry. From past experience in othrr industries, you always get at least one bad apple that will give you at least a 4 star.

Didn't mean to sound so pessimistic

Sent from my SM-G900P using TMF Forums mobile app

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
No I didnt mean it like that, but your right... maybe the comment was a little nieve on my part. Still trying to figure out the customer bases in our industry. From past experience in othrr industries, you always get at least one bad apple that will give you at least a 4 star.

Didn't mean to sound so pessimistic

Sent from my SM-G900P using TMF Forums mobile app

In this industry, if you're an owner operator, you get to decide when to leave a job. If it can be improved, keep working at it. I know it's different once employees get added to the mix. But if you prebid/inspect your jobs, you will know what the carpet looks like before you start. You'll know the clients expectations and if they're unrealistic you get to give them new perspective or walk from the job.
Basically you are only taking tests that you're sure you will ace.

WWW.FiveStar-Clean.Com

Sep 12, 2013
Real Name
Michael Olson
So as re roll out on our new business here in Utah, getting reviews is going to be a big push with our marketing strategy. After doing a little competitor analysis, I've found that almost ALL companies in the area either have ZERO reviews on both sites... or they have nearly perfect reviews (one in particular has like 35 reviews and a perfect 5 star rating... suspicious much?)

So with Yelp in particular, but with other sites as well.. We shouldn't try to "solicit" reviews... and I get that... So what have you found that helps in getting more reviews without crossing that magically "ethical line"?

Other than that, the only other question I had was, Yelp, Google Reviews, Angie's List... what other big hitters am I missing (Aside from FB and Social media outlets)

If you're confident with the work that you produced then you should be able to ask your customer for a review try to get set up to receive reviews on multiple platforms we are set up to receive reviews on Google Facebook Yelp Angie's list and my website
There are several different ways that I asked for a review when we send a customer their invoice then a few days later I email out a questionnaire that includes links to the different sites that they can leave a review I also include a 10%off coupon that the customer can use on the next service you always need to try to sell yourself and your services before and after the sale I don't spend any money on Angie's list or Yelp but consistently get phone calls from their free service I think that's why my reviews on yelp are not verified and you cannot see you then but I'm under the impression that if something works for free why pay for it 85% of my business is via word-of-mouth most of my customers read the reviews for a second opinion I always ask how somebody found out about us and they generally say that you were referred by an existing customer that they checked our reviews on one of the following sites

WizCleanPdx

May 25, 2015
Portland, OR
www.wizardcleaning-pdx.com
Real Name
Jack Starr
Business Location
United States
I'm all over Facebook, Homeadvisor, google

Lightning Carpet Care LLC

I started with HomeAdvisor in Dec 16. I have gotten some really good leads and some very bad leads. Too soon to call it a bad service. How long have you been doing HA, and what tips do you have for getting the most out of it?

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
If you're confident with the work that you produced then you should be able to ask your customer for a review try to get set up to receive reviews on multiple platforms we are set up to receive reviews on Google Facebook Yelp Angie's list and my website
There are several different ways that I asked for a review when we send a customer their invoice then a few days later I email out a questionnaire that includes links to the different sites that they can leave a review I also include a 10%off coupon that the customer can use on the next service you always need to try to sell yourself and your services before and after the sale I don't spend any money on Angie's list or Yelp but consistently get phone calls from their free service I think that's why my reviews on yelp are not verified and you cannot see you then but I'm under the impression that if something works for free why pay for it 85% of my business is via word-of-mouth most of my customers read the reviews for a second opinion I always ask how somebody found out about us and they generally say that you were referred by an existing customer that they checked our reviews on one of the following sites

Agreed - however - you want those yellow stars to show on your maps listing - those come from the big G!

VERITAS4

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
www.safecarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Art Arreguin
Business Location
United States
We just set up our Google Business account recently and now working on getting reviews. My marketing assistant drafted an email that I'm sending out to past and current customers to try to encourage some reviews. Here's the email in case you wanna try this yourself

-----------------EMAIL SAMPLE--------------------
SUBJECT: Review Us on Google+

Dear [CUSTOMER]:

We're hoping that you could help us by posting a review to our Google+ Page. It only takes a minute and will help us tremendously in getting the word out about Veritas Carpet Cleaning. Just click the button below to get to our Google page and leave your review!

Thank you for all the support!

{Insert a big green button that says "Review Us"}

groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
We probably have well over 200 5 star reviews across multiple sites. Google, Yahoo, Bing, Angies, Home Advisor, Yelp, and my own web site. My customers tell me everyday that they hired me because of our glowing reviews. Just like Jason, each customer gets an email and a thankyou card in the mail asking for reviews and referrals. We do that through housecall, but we used to do it on our own before housecall.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
We probably have well over 200 5 star reviews across multiple sites. Google, Yahoo, Bing, Angies, Home Advisor, Yelp, and my own web site. My customers tell me everyday that they hired me because of our glowing reviews. Just like Jason, each customer gets an email and a thankyou card in the mail asking for reviews and referrals. We do that through housecall, but we used to do it on our own before housecall.

FYI: I just clicked on your signature link at the bottom of your post and it is not working. Goes to some error page.

Reactions: groutguy

groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
FYI: I just clicked on your signature link at the bottom of your post and it is not working. Goes to some error page.

Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully it will stick, I have noticed that many signature links have been removed including mine which I have put back.