Let's Talk about Yelp and Google Reviews | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Let's Talk about Yelp and Google Reviews

Discussion in 'Carpet Cleaning Marketing' started by Kevin Lietz, Jan 13, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Kevin Lietz

Kevin Lietz Active Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Floor Care
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +157 / 1 / -0
    So as re roll out on our new business here in Utah, getting reviews is going to be a big push with our marketing strategy. After doing a little competitor analysis, I've found that almost ALL companies in the area either have ZERO reviews on both sites... or they have nearly perfect reviews (one in particular has like 35 reviews and a perfect 5 star rating... suspicious much?)

So with Yelp in particular, but with other sites as well.. We shouldn't try to "solicit" reviews... and I get that... So what have you found that helps in getting more reviews without crossing that magically "ethical line"?

Other than that, the only other question I had was, Yelp, Google Reviews, Angie's List... what other big hitters am I missing (Aside from FB and Social media outlets)

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,806 / 85 / -0
    125 Google reviews with a 5 star average here, Yelp 2 reviews. Yelp is really only used here locally for restaurants but Yelp still calls me a few times a month.

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sarah C.

Sarah C. Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Whatever you do, don't pay for reviews. They only want more money, it starts to be more like Blackmail than "advertising" and I've never seen anyone say it really helped in the long run. We ask our happy customers to please review, over time I think just do the best job you can. Network & just ASK them face to face to do it. I haven't heard anyone happy that paid for Yelp ads either. Just my experience in a small town market, yours may be different.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Floor Care
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +157 / 1 / -0
    Nice! See that's what I am talking about... You have a few 4 stars that are in the mix... which is good because it shows a level of authenticity. That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

So what's your strategy on getting those reviews... Do you ask for them?

5. Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Floor Care
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +157 / 1 / -0
    Totally agree Sarah. The thought popped into my head initially, TBH (just to get the numbers up at first), but then I thought "I shouldn't have to! My work will pay for itself!!!!!"

6. aloha one

aloha one Scrub a DUB DUB!

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,758 / 106 / -0
    Yelp should be called SCALP.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,806 / 85 / -0
    We have a system in place for reviews, every customer gets a email or text with a 3 question feedback survey that also has a link to our Google page. :)

• Like Like x 4
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,806 / 85 / -0
    I get an activity email every week from Yelp and it always shows 1-3 views for the week. When they call me about advertising they tell me that due to the amount of searches locally for our services I would benefit greatly by advertising with them, they claim I could get 3:1. I laugh at them and remind them of the activity email I get every week, no matter how many times I tell them I'm not interested they still call at least once a month.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. aloha one

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,758 / 106 / -0
    They're relentless hound dogs.

10. Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Floor Care
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +157 / 1 / -0
    NICE!!!!!!! Is that an in-house system or is it part of a software package that you have with a company?

11. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,806 / 85 / -0
    It's a @the rugman package, he handles my SEO :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. BayouCitySteam

BayouCitySteam Active Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Male
    Certified Technician
    Houston Texas
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Having 35 reviews on only one platform and no other social activity is suspicious... but 5 star reviews consistently across all review outlets is not suspicious. We have 22 5star reviews across 4-5 platforms.

Build your profile out on EVERY site with the exact same info. Then, when you complete the job ask them however you wish what platform THEY use. Their reviews will be more reliable.
    Example: don't ask someone without yelp, to review you on yelp. Their review will most likely be "not recommended"
    Every customer of ours gets a follow up email with a personal connection "hey Jim, thank you for welcoming me into your home! That 68' mustang in the garage is amazing, thanks for sharing..."
    then ask for a review and attach a link to your page on one of those review platforms. Alternate.
    Send Facebook to one person, google to second person, google business page to third, so on.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Floor Care
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +157 / 1 / -0
    Really good comments from everyone! This is why I love TMF. Y'all are so smart! That's a great point about the reliablity of the review. Something I didn't even consider. And the follow up comments are a fantastic idea! Definitely being implemented!

• Like Like x 1
  14. LightningCarpetCare

LightningCarpetCare Active Member

May 2, 2016
    Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I'm all over Facebook, Homeadvisor, google

Lightning Carpet Care LLC

15. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,806 / 85 / -0
    I also have almost 40 Facebook reviews, Facebook and Google reviews are a good combination as if someone sees us on Facebook many times they will go to Google to do more research. If they like what they see on Facebook then Google seals the deal many times unless they are looking for a $50 whole house cleaning.

16. raw74

raw74 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    ga
    Ratings:
    +669 / 4 / -0
    Can someone please explain. Why does Yelp likes to take away your reviews? I notice, once you tell them that you're not interested in advertising u lose a review

17. Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Mrs.SpeedySteamer Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Apr 26, 2012
    Female
    Business Branding
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Ratings:
    +4,100 / 4 / -0
    Solicit Reviews... Just in your "Thank you" - card, e-mail, phone call - let your client know that you would appreciate review. If you send e-mail provide them with a link where they can leave a review. Since, most people have gmail accounts I would try either Google or Facebook. Not a big fan of Yelp, however if Yelp is big in your community I recommend leaving a link there as well. The only problem with Yelp is a person has to sign up for it to leave a review. The goal is to make it as easy as possible for your client to leave a review.

Rob had some really great designs on postcards requesting reviews. I don't know if they are up anymore, they might be in the Premium VIP section.

Good Luck!

18. aloha one

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,758 / 106 / -0
    Homeadvisor works for you?

19. LightningCarpetCare

LightningCarpetCare Active Member

May 2, 2016
    Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Yes and no they been a good source for work and reviews the downfall would be lead charges that may be false and have to pull teeth to credit those back. But a lot of my work has come from there.

Lightning Carpet Care LLC

20. BayouCitySteam

BayouCitySteam Active Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Male
    Certified Technician
    Houston Texas
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    HomeAdvisor....woof.
    I've had multiple issues. I have gotten a large handful of incomplete leads, customers who don't provide correct contact. Ineligible lead comments etc. I can't justify spending 20$ per lead for incomplete. When I called HomeAdvisor to say "I'm not going to pay that amount, these leads need to be qualified. Especially since you guys are getting $60++ for each lead!"
    They responded that they can't "make" the customer fill anything out, and that's the cost of doing business.
    BULL honky the pay can qualify those! I cancelled our acct Tuesday.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums