Let's talk about auto scrubbers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Look at the dilution rate it's not to good!3:1 you will use a lot of stripper
If it melts all the wax off like it says and I don't even need to scrub it's a no loose situation. I waste more money than that buying my helpers subs so :D

And it's 1:3 to 1:14

waxman

Jun 23, 2008
Long Island
Real Name
Vincenzo
Business Location
United States
If it melts all the wax off like it says and I don't even need to scrub it's a no loose situation. I waste more money than that buying my helpers subs so :D

And it's 1:3 to 1:14
To do what it says on a bad floor you will be
At 1:3 that's 10 gals of stripper with 30 gals water for a drum batch.
That's $175 of stripper

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
To do what it says on a bad floor you will be
At 1:3 that's 10 gals of stripper with 30 gals water for a drum batch.
That's $175 of stripper
I understand, but the potential upside of labor savings is there. This place is multi level and the only floor accessible to the auto scrubber is the main floor. The other 2 require the slow production of a wet/dry vac and additional costs of transporting up/down 2 levels.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I'll pay a lot of money for stripper rather than have to strip an area two or three times. That gets old really fast.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I'll pay a lot of money for stripper rather than have to strip an area two or three times. That gets old really fast.
I agree, it's just flat out demoralizing having to strip a floor more than once. It's not so bad having to touch up some spots, but when you have to do a full on re-strip a couple of times more it turns into a beat you up all day affair.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Don't know if you made up your mind on a scrubber but my 2 cents, brands: Tennant/Nobles and Advance/Nilfisk are my top choices. I prefer good ole fashioned rotating heads over new oscillating. Single disks like to drag to one side when stripping, dual counter rotating pads offer more stability. The oscillating heads are more prone to breakdowns and I personally don't think they are worth the money. Maybe in a few more years. Oddly I think square scrubs are awesome! They seem to last longer than the same tech in a scrubber. My experience with oscillating machines (and this goes for all brands) the larger the head the more often it will need maintenance. If you must get one, then stay away from Clarke. Those Boosts are garbage. Tennant did good with their orbital. Advance makes a 20" with a round head that rotates at 30rpms while oscillating at 2,250rps. They also make a larger one that uses 2, 14" pads for a 28" scrub path. If you need larger then I think this is the way to go. Smaller heads break down less often. If you go with an oscillating machine then I suggest learning how to change the isolators and keeping a set of extras on hand at all times. As soon as you notice one starting to go get it replaced. Running with a bad isolator causes all kinds of problems. Especially if the driver plate is plastic. You'll melt the plate from the friction. Its not a very hard repair, I could change out all 8 on the head of a Clarke Boost in about 10 minutes. Of course I used to do it almost weekly.

clean-sweep

Jan 7, 2010
kentucky
Real Name
ryan hill
Business Location
United States
Don't know if you made up your mind on a scrubber but my 2 cents, brands: Tennant/Nobles and Advance/Nilfisk are my top choices. I prefer good ole fashioned rotating heads over new oscillating. Single disks like to drag to one side when stripping, dual counter rotating pads offer more stability. The oscillating heads are more prone to breakdowns and I personally don't think they are worth the money. Maybe in a few more years. Oddly I think square scrubs are awesome! They seem to last longer than the same tech in a scrubber. My experience with oscillating machines (and this goes for all brands) the larger the head the more often it will need maintenance. If you must get one, then stay away from Clarke. Those Boosts are garbage. Tennant did good with their orbital. Advance makes a 20" with a round head that rotates at 30rpms while oscillating at 2,250rps. They also make a larger one that uses 2, 14" pads for a 28" scrub path. If you need larger then I think this is the way to go. Smaller heads break down less often. If you go with an oscillating machine then I suggest learning how to change the isolators and keeping a set of extras on hand at all times. As soon as you notice one starting to go get it replaced. Running with a bad isolator causes all kinds of problems. Especially if the driver plate is plastic. You'll melt the plate from the friction. Its not a very hard repair, I could change out all 8 on the head of a Clarke Boost in about 10 minutes. Of course I used to do it almost weekly.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337618551&icep_item=232264447703
Went with this one.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips

clean-sweep

Jan 7, 2010
kentucky
Real Name
ryan hill
Business Location
United States
Thats a pretty good machine. Ran that exact model for a few years. Everyone else I worked with hated the thing, I could never understand why. I think they were stuck on this idea that anything that wasn't a boost was crap. If that were the case we never would have needed "little green"!
Glad you like it
I got 80 grit brushes AND pad drivers with it

Jun 15, 2018
Real Name
Thunder Warren
So I’m curious, The way I currently operate with a 175 I can only average 300sqft an hour on a full strip and 3 coats of wax. Is the full process that much faster with an auto scrubber? How much area are you able to strip in an hour? Are you able to get up to the edges?

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Autoscrubbers are several times faster than an old 175. The sq footage depends alot on the wax, stripper, how many edges, ect... With an autoscrubber you can lay down the stripper with a mop, scrub with the scrubber without vacuuming It up, then when you are ready you can vacuum/squeegee it up. You can add water to slow the reaction down. Ect...
Once you use an autoscrubber you will almost never use the 175. I have 3 different size autoscrubbers so I never have to use a 175 again. Haha.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
On really bad jobs I’ll run a 175 with a stripping brush followed with the auto scrubber. Works well when we’re doing jobs where others contractors only strip every three years ( @ Smtwn janitorial) lol

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
So I’m curious, The way I currently operate with a 175 I can only average 300sqft an hour on a full strip and 3 coats of wax. Is the full process that much faster with an auto scrubber? How much area are you able to strip in an hour? Are you able to get up to the edges?
Running a 175 I can have an 1800 sq ft convenience store stripped and waxed in 5 hours. Its about the same with an auto scrubber. A lot of it will depend on your process.

Jun 15, 2018
Real Name
Thunder Warren
Running a 175 I can have an 1800 sq ft convenience store stripped and waxed in 5 hours. Its about the same with an auto scrubber. A lot of it will depend on your process.
I agree with that time on a job like that. I’m more interested in the time spent on bigger jobs when you have an auto scrubber. I’ve been doing more 10,000-16,000 sqft places recently. I just put in a bid that doesn’t allow for the time I take to get a job done, so One option is to hire people for a few nights. But I’d rather spend the money on equipment that will help me get the jobs done quicker and have an asset. I’m just not sure if my theory of being able to get mo work done with the auto scrubber is correct

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I agree with that time on a job like that. I’m more interested in the time spent on bigger jobs when you have an auto scrubber. I’ve been doing more 10,000-16,000 sqft places recently. I just put in a bid that doesn’t allow for the time I take to get a job done, so One option is to hire people for a few nights. But I’d rather spend the money on equipment that will help me get the jobs done quicker and have an asset. I’m just not sure if my theory of being able to get mo work done with the auto scrubber is correct
An auto scrubber would be a lot faster for jobs that size. Propane stripping machine and a walk behind wet vac would be even faster if you're dealing with very large areas with lots of wax build up.