Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Dang. I just did another 100 hr belt change
Are your belts breaking or throwing chunks or are you just being cautious? I figure I will change my belts in another couple months when it's cooled off and not 130 degrees inside my truck all day. I'm over 400 hours now with no belt issues since buying the machine from Jeff.

Reactions: earl804

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Is there a trick to aligning them? Or a way to tell if it's not aligned correctly....before you crack a coupler.
Usually if it is not aligned properly it will make a lot of noise and vibrate really bad at lower RPM's.

Check your alignment with a straight edge at the 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 position.

Reactions: tonyb14
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I guarantee you it was not aligned perfectly. I see this all the time when there are alignment issues. My coupler is just over 600 hours right now.
I went 6 years on my original coupler

tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
www.steamteamcarpetcleaningnepa.com
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
Usually if it is not aligned properly it will make a lot of noise and vibrate really bad at lower RPM's.

Check your alignment with a straight edge at the 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 position.

It was vibrating a lot at lower rpms. I have a feeling it wasn't aligned properly.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States

I suppose thats fine for in the field or at home. But isn't the proper way to align 2 rotating shafts that must be joined via a coupler is with a laser?
The tradesman at GM always used a laser after the straight edge.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I suppose thats fine for in the field or at home. But isn't the proper way to align 2 rotating shafts that must be joined via a coupler is with a laser?
The tradesman at GM always used a laser after the straight edge.
There are precision tools that most shops should have.

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
damon have you looked into the motor plate the new amtex's have? supposedly they allow you to adjust tension on the belts. i think that's why you are only getting 100 hours.

i'm still farting around with mine, i got the fuel tank mounted, fuel pump and lines run, installed fresh water tank and Little giant. still have to hook up on demand pump for fresh water and plumb the exhaust, then i should be ready to fire it up.

one question i'm not sure if you will know - does your amtex have a on/off switch for the pump? mine does but i ditched all of the HX stuff and i think it just went to a bypass. the belt from the drive pulley goes right to the pump pulley, i can't see any kind of pump clutch. Just wondering if there is some sort of clutch i don't see activated by that switch.

sorry for the derail . . . .
Funny you bring that up. I just had to rewire mine last week. My ignition fell apart on a job and the wires melted so I had to make a new switch for the pump wired directly to the battery to get the job done. Yes, it is clutch driven. The center part should engage and spin when turned on. I was able to fix everything. Turns out Kohler uses about 25 different ignitions. It took me a bit to find the correct one but after 14 hours of wrenching I was back up and running.

earl804

May 16, 2014
York PA
www.susclean.com
Real Name
alex c
Business Location
United States
Funny you bring that up. I just had to rewire mine last week. My ignition fell apart on a job and the wires melted so I had to make a new switch for the pump wired directly to the battery to get the job done. Yes, it is clutch driven. The center part should engage and spin when turned on. I was able to fix everything. Turns out Kohler uses about 25 different ignitions. It took me a bit to find the correct one but after 14 hours of wrenching I was back up and running.
Awesome thank u!

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Are your belts breaking or throwing chunks or are you just being cautious? I figure I will change my belts in another couple months when it's cooled off and not 130 degrees inside my truck all day. I'm over 400 hours now with no belt issues since buying the machine from Jeff.
No not this time. That was last time for me, lol. But I was fixing something else and noticed that one was cracked all the way to the outer band. Then I noticed that both had multiple cracks to the outer band. I said a prayer, then called my wife and asked her to pray for my TM to make it through the day. I was booked solid and somehow I managed to work all day without the belts coming apart. I am stunned they made it through the day in 104° ambient temps. I got up at 5:30am this morning and changed the belts.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
No not this time. That was last time for me, lol. But I was fixing something else and noticed that one was cracked all the way to the outer band. Then I noticed that both had multiple cracks to the outer band. I said a prayer, then called my wife and asked her to pray for my TM to make it through the day. I was booked solid and somehow I managed to work all day without the belts coming apart. I am stunned they made it through the day in 104° ambient temps. I got up at 5:30am this morning and changed the belts.

Wow. Are you sure you are using belts and not rubber bands?:rolleyes:

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Wow. Are you sure you are using belts and not rubber bands?:rolleyes:
Well, We get some pretty high heat here, but so do you in the Vegas area. Todd, today I sucked up a rag into my system. I don't think it hit the blower, but i need to take it apart in the morning and find the rag. I wasn't using my Devastator filter because i was just cleaning a couch. Sucked the rag out of my pocket. On the front of my dragon I have 2 Vac ports. One is sucking and one isn't. So I guess my rag is lodged up in there somewhere.

Always something. At least I'm not bored.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Well, We get some pretty high heat here, but so do you in the Vegas area. Todd, today I sucked up a rag into my system. I don't think it hit the blower, but i need to take it apart in the morning and find the rag. I wasn't using my Devastator filter because i was just cleaning a couch. Sucked the rag out of my pocket. On the front of my dragon I have 2 Vac ports. One is sucking and one isn't. So I guess my rag is lodged up in there somewhere.

A;ways something. At least i'm not bored.
Hopefully it's right at the elbow going into the tank.

Do you use a blower filter? I saw this a couple years ago.

raginblower_zpsa2449dd4.jpg

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Hopefully it's right at the elbow going into the tank.

Do you use a blower filter? I saw this a couple years ago.

raginblower_zpsa2449dd4.jpg
I'll know more tomorrow. I am just lucky it didn't make it into my blower. Let this be a lesson to everyone. Always use a pre-filter! I took a chance because I was just doing a couch, and it bit me in the ass. Never again!

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
I'll know more tomorrow. I am just lucky it didn't make it into my blower. Let this be a lesson to everyone. Always use a pre-filter! I took a chance because I was just doing a couch, and it bit me in the ass. Never again!
I run 2-1/2" from the waste tank to the filter, then 2" from filter to wand. A tech can never run it without the dev filter.

Reactions: Nomad74