Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
There’s no way around it. The carpet mills have shut down hundreds of 1000’s sq ft of their locations and switched to LVT & LVP. We as floor cleaning providers need to be prepared for the inevitable. Now that they are getting established we are getting requests to not only maintain them but also to make them look better. Problem is they get scuffed and it won’t improve with cleanings. I know there are a few who use finishes. Any thoughts on the cleaning process and possible finishes?

IMG_6610.JPG

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
So far I haven't run into any tricks. It leads me to believe carpet will still be around, but mostly in bedrooms and basements in my market.

I think one problem is rentals will find that LVP doesn't hold up well when not maintained, and they may go back to cheap carpets.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
So far I haven't run into any tricks. It leads me to believe carpet will still be around, but mostly in bedrooms and basements in my market.

I think one problem is rentals will find that LVP doesn't hold up well when not maintained, and they may go back to cheap carpets.

It’s showing up here quite a bit esp in commercial settings. Here’s a little extra info people don’t know. Many commercial and residential locations buy it because its resilience to spills and water. However I’ve had several cleaners tell me that the floors buckled or cupped from moisture migration. Therefore I believe the least amount moisture the better when cleaning them.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
It’s showing up here quite a bit esp in commercial settings. Here’s a little extra info people don’t know. Many commercial and residential locations buy it because its resilience to spills and water. However I’ve had several cleaners tell me that the floors buckled or cupped from moisture migration. Therefore I believe the least amount moisture the better when cleaning them.
Careful. Some are marketed as water or moisture resistant. These still have a fiberboard core. And material will say laminate.
Others will state 100% waterproof and core is vinyl or vinyl composite. These will state material as vinyl.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Careful. Some are marketed as water or moisture resistant. These still have a fiberboard core. And material will say laminate.
Others will state 100% waterproof and core is vinyl or vinyl composite. These will state material as vinyl.

Interesting. So are you saying some are 100% waterproof and the glue won’t fail leading to cupping?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Interesting. So are you saying some are 100% waterproof and the glue won’t fail leading to cupping?
Some are just laminate. With a water resistant surface. I've had so many people grab it thinking its all the same. But lol they grabbed it because its half the price. If you look at shaws lifeproof. It says 100% water proof. If you look up its material it says vinyl.
Then look up water resistant laminate. It used to tell you high density fiberboard. Now it just says laminate. I could see some guys confusing the 2 and presuming they can go at it as usual. But it will let them know real quick their mistake. Even the lifeproof ide be careful with a lot of water. It is waterproof itself. But it does not seal. So if water gets through to a wood subfloor? Now real problems begin. Especially with cheap azz luan underlayment. Homers sells some cheap stuff that falls apart when wet and warps.
There are also glue down installations. Its put in exactly the same way as vct. Vinyl core with picture and wear layer. Just not colored through like vct.

Reactions: rob allen

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
The only time I've ever seen the surface come off lvp is if it were hit together too hard. The two pieces will cut into one another lifting the edges up. Then they get caught by furniture or whatever and chip off. I tried peeling the lvp surface off. It does come off if you work at it with a putty knife and pliers. But it takes some effort. I had piles of it in my trailer getting rained on repeatedly then baking in the sun. The picture never delaminated. Regular laminate same. Picture remained but on that one its core expanded and grew to the point it looked like a pile of cardboard. Which is all it really is. Like the baseboards only its HDF instead of MDF.

GoClean

Aug 23, 2020
Real Name
Jason McCurry
In residential it seems the LVP is going down and then people are covering it up with rugs! That may be a place to grow is rug sales and rug cleaning.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Not only is it not waterproof ( as a repellent), but depending on the moisture content and vapor pressure • and not forgetting that we create a weather environment to wick moisture away from one surface to another location / chem comp. • if that environment exists below the surface, this condition will wick moisture towards the dryer environment very well. This and all other similar flooring will facilitate the same result. Solid vinyl flooring will also facilitate wick-through in time.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
So this is coincidence so last week I had a call for a new LVT floor a customer moved a refrigerator over totally taking off the top “finish”. There were two wheel marks about two feet apart approximately ten feet long. The way I addressed it was to clean the areas with a neutral cleaner apply very very thin coats of no gloss finish and while it was still damp buff it with a micro fiber pad. It took doing about five coats mainly on the wheel marks buffing each time. Each coat going just slightly past the marks, doing this till the marks were no longer visible. Making sure that after each buff to check the pad that there wasn’t any dry finish on it to redamage it. In my case this was a low lustre floor so it blended so well you couldn’t tell there was any damage. I think it should still work with a higher gloss.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Apr 12, 2018
Real Name
Ron Thibodeau
As a store owner, installer and cleaner, all I can say is that the hand-writing is on the wall as far as carpet goes. I love carpet, but other than bedrooms and rentals everybody wants hard surface or resilient here in the northeast. The industry is changing and how carpet cleaners will adapt remains to be seen. Glad I'm retiring soon.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
What I never understood is why people don't just put tile in their basements and then cover with rugs.

You won't have a moisture issue with tile.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
What I never understood is why people don't just put tile in their basements and then cover with rugs.

You won't have a moisture issue with tile.
Price per sqft.
Permanent installation
Offers no insulation.
Lots of reasons.
Mostly it looks like a dungeon when they do.
Carpet and lam or wood give it more of a livingroom feel than closed in basement feel.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
And yes
You will still have the moisture problem if its present and a problem.

Unfortunately you’re right and leads to a major case of efflorescence.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Unfortunately you’re right and leads to a major case of efflorescence.
Its one of those things that needs to be addressed not covered over. Warranty wont even cover it. Definitely not with lvt or lvp. Barrier or not. No moisture at all can be coming up through the slab. I dont even think they except it over sleeper system either. Maybe some. The last one i did said no in instructions.