Leaving trade, selling equipment, 1st item is a cheap one... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Leaving trade, selling equipment, 1st item is a cheap one...

spotman123

Jan 3, 2010
new york
Real Name
spot man
Business Location
United States
Jim and Jason I know you're trying to be funny but seriously a guy who has more certifications than you two put together has fallen on hard times. Peter has posted this on other forums and has received encouragement to hang in there. Not here. Disappointed in you guys.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Jim and Jason I know you're trying to be funny but seriously a guy who has more certifications than you two put together has fallen on hard times. Peter has posted this on other forums and has received encouragement to hang in there. Not here. Disappointed in you guys.
True we could be a little more sensitive Wayne. However personally I have found a little humor helps a lot when dealing with rough patches in life. Hopefully he didn't take offense and if you think about it they did him a favor. By commenting they created interest in a thread and bumped it to the top to help him sell. Plus we didn't remove his ad and make him pay for the classifieds. All in all his treatment has been fair to good imho.

Reactions: CleanestCarpet

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Peter,

Nothing wrong with taking a break from being a full time entrepreneur. But why don't you keep your equipment instead of selling it for pennies on the dollar? This way you could just do the occasional job that comes in for extra money.

Just a thought,

Steve Toburen
SFS.JonDon.com

PS And yes, Rob is right. You need a tough skin to post on any discussion forum. My guess is everyone here would like to help you.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Yes it was a joke, I see that he said this is the first item so I assume he has other equipment that he uses. I don't want to see a fellow carpet cleaner get out of the business because of hard times and lack of work. I could be wrong but I do not recall the member making posts in the past seeking advice on how to get through these difficult times. Odds are that if I saw posts needing help and advice I would of done whatever I could to help.

Reactions: spotman123

tom patnode

Premium VIP
Jun 8, 2008
San Diego
renaissance-carpet.com
Real Name
Tom Patnode
I'm leaving the trade. Too much competition, too little work. Have a lot of IICRC certifications and am trying to get a job at a Servpro. Things are rock bottom here and worse case scenario, I will take any crap job anywhere.

First item up for sale...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291022016249
Peter I have a little advise. If at all possible keep your equipment and get it fixed up while you work for another company. Then have your set up ready to retry your own business.
Working for a company and having to put up with their rules is tough.
I don't know you since you have only done like 4 posts since you joined... How long have you had your business?

Reactions: spotman123

tom patnode

Premium VIP
Jun 8, 2008
San Diego
renaissance-carpet.com
Real Name
Tom Patnode
Spotman do you know Peter personally? I see you are both in NY.

CleanestCarpet

Jul 30, 2013
Real Name
Matt
Yes it was a joke, I see that he said this is the first item so I assume he has other equipment that he uses. I don't want to see a fellow carpet cleaner get out of the business because of hard times and lack of work. I could be wrong but I do not recall the member making posts in the past seeking advice on how to get through these difficult times. Odds are that if I saw posts needing help and advice I would of done whatever I could to help.
So true. This forum has been very helpful for me. Just ask for advice and there will be plenty of guys willing to help you out. I have been in the industry for 10 years and not quite 1 year on my own. It's great to get answers from experienced guys who have gone through the same issues. Love TMF.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

clean-sweep

Jan 7, 2010
kentucky
Real Name
ryan hill
Business Location
United States
It says it is not working and is for parts only :confused:
This might explain why you have to take a job somewhere else.

"Hit rock bottom and will take anything"

And still a joke, very low class IMO
You should be held to a higher standard as a mod.....

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
I'm leaving the trade. Too much competition, too little work. Have a lot of IICRC certifications and am trying to get a job at a Servpro. Things are rock bottom here and worse case scenario, I will take any crap job anywhere.

First item up for sale...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291022016249
if you still have your equipment, and are looking to get some work, i may be able to help you out. I already got one of the NJ guys from TMF a good amount of work from one of the companies i sub for. they used to get jobs frequently upstate, and tried to get me to go there from the island.

if your interested let me know and ill send you over their number.

spotman123

Jan 3, 2010
new york
Real Name
spot man
Business Location
United States
True we could be a little more sensitive Wayne. However personally I have found a little humor helps a lot when dealing with rough patches in life. Hopefully he didn't take offense and if you think about it they did him a favor. By commenting they created interest in a thread and bumped it to the top to help him sell. Plus we didn't remove his ad and make him pay for the classifieds. All in all his treatment has been fair to good imho.
Not offended Rob, just don't like kicking a guy down just my opinion. Peter has explained his whole story elsewhere and is battling stiff competition from extreme lowballers. I hope that no one else with his experience and skill level has to face what he is facing.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Have failed many o times in my life, too many.

Sometimes its better to get away from it for a couple years and start fresh.
Nothing wrong with that.

spotman123

Jan 3, 2010
new york
Real Name
spot man
Business Location
United States
Spotman do you know Peter personally? I see you are both in NY.
Tom I have never met the guy. We chatted one night and found out find that his furthest most territory that he covers borders my most furthest. He sounded like he knows what he is doing but is being faced with competition who prices are next to doing it for free. Wayne