Leather cleaning

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
Not good at cleaning leather. Really don't do it too much. Can anyone take a look at the pics and give some advice on what would work best? They're obviously pretty soiled.
IMG_06021.jpeg
I'm scheduled to do the cleaning this Friday. Thank you in advance!

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Not good at cleaning leather. Really don't do it too much. Can anyone take a look at the pics and give some advice on what would work best? They're obviously pretty soiled. View attachment 75647 I'm scheduled to do the cleaning this Friday. Thank you in advance!

Nobody make a better leather cleaner/conditioner than Meguiars. NOBODY!!!!
I have tried them all. The automotive industry BLOWS OURS AWAY when it comes to certain things and leather cleaning is one of them.

Buy the Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner at any auto parts store, use 100% cotton towels to apply, a soft brush to agitate and use microfiber to take off. Very simple. If you have an orbital car buffer with microfiber bonnets, all the better. TRUST ME! I've literally cleaned thousands of leather pieces this way.

Last edited:

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
Not good at cleaning leather. Really don't do it too much. Can anyone take a look at the pics and give some advice on what would work best? They're obviously pretty soiled. View attachment 75647 I'm scheduled to do the cleaning this Friday. Thank you in advance!

I have tried them all. The automotive industry BLOWS OURS AWAY when it comes to certain things and leather cleaning is one of them.

Buy the Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner at any auto parts store, use 100% cotton towels to apply, a soft brush to agitate and use microfiber to take off. Very simple. If you have an orbital car buffer with microfiber bonnets, all the better. TRUST ME! I've literally cleaned thousands this way.
Wow. Never heard that one before. I'll give it a shot. Thank you

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I hope so. Those pieces look filthy. Usually I turn those away but he's a good customer and don't wanna lose him to another company.
I don't know why people make a big deal out of cleaning leather. It is the easiest of all upholstered pieces to clean. Unless it's raw leather of course. That piece you are going to clean isn't.

Contrary to what is on the interweb, do NOT use saddle soap. It's not a saddle.
However if you must use something with a little more "Kick" (which I highly doubt) then use mink oil afterwards. Just use the Meguiars and you'll be fine.

If it's real filthy then spray, scrub, wait 2 minutes, absorb and buff. Repeat if necessary. Simple. You can apply a separate conditioner if you feel the need to, but the cleaner/conditioner should be all you need. That piece is easy peasy.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Ill second the meguiars statement from old carpet vet just cleaned a shit ton of leather from a 4" overhead fire suppresion system main busting. Nasty water with about 3 feet of cellulose insulation and sheetrock blew out all over it.
Not only did it clean like a beast its one step clean and protect and it smells nice a clean

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Ill second the meguiars statement from old carpet vet just cleaned a shit ton of leather from a 4" overhead fire suppresion system main busting. Nasty water with about 3 feet of cellulose insulation and sheetrock blew out all over it.
Not only did it clean like a beast its one step clean and protect and it smells nice a clean
It really is unbeatable. (y)
Our industry can learn a lot from the automotive detailing industry.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States

Buy the Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner at any auto parts store, use 100% cotton towels to apply, a soft brush to agitate and use microfiber to take off. Very simple. If you have an orbital car buffer with microfiber bonnets, all the better. TRUST ME! I've literally cleaned thousands of leather pieces this way.
Are you talking about something like this or something more elaborate?

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
You need to be sure that you identify the leather properly. The ivory, beige leather is a protected leather as pigment is the only way to get the light color. The initial photo appears to be an expensive aniline waxed leather ( around $2000 for the chair & ottoman). Too harsh of a cleaner will remove the wax and potentially damage the color. This type of leather potentially will need three types of products: a cleaner designed for aniline leather (Leather Master Strong Cleaner or Hydroforce Leather cleaner), A product to remove some of the visible oils on the seat and ottoman if the cleaner does not remove it ( Leather Master Soft Remover and maybe Leather Master aerosol Leather Degreaser). A product to add wax to the leather as it typically wears off unevenly through use (Leather Master Wax On).

Aug 15, 2012
Real Name
douglas keil
The steam also melts the body oils, dirt and grime quickly allowing them to be released from the surface. This is the key to our professional vapor steam systems overwhelming success. Seats that would normally be difficult to clean, clean with ease. Simply spray on your favorite leather cleaning liquid (some say 409 works well) and steam the surface with the included upholstery brush. Once done, wipe clean. You may optionally put on a coat of your favorite leather conditioner when your done. Either way, the results speak for them selves. Safe, effective all natural vapor steam works! The ultimate auto detail professionals tool.