Large VCT jobs

Joey33

Feb 24, 2017
Real Name
Joe oayette
Hey guys,

So my company has done many smaller scale strip and wax/ VCT services, we recently went out to bid at a large 50,000+ job.

So we typically use a standard rotary machine, I wouldn't dream of using one of those for a job this large (we have basically a day to complete it). Any recommendations on machines? Our local supplier has the square scrub, anyone use that before?

What would be a typical price per square foot for a job this large (they supply the wax and stripper)?

Thanks guys!

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Swing machines and high pro black pads. or if it doesn't need to be a full strip a few heavy auto scrubbers with green pads. Scrub and recoat would be preferable if you only have one day to bang out 50k

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
VCT work has become a thankless service.

Reactions: Dream Clean

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
VCT work has become a thankless service.

Maybe thankless but sure as hell pays well! I’ve never had a carpet job come close to the money per hour we make on strip and wax.
And for anyone getting into it to make a living there’s very little over head as compared to carpets. But I do love both.

TimetoShine

Jul 26, 2020
Real Name
James Cannon
I just got a call today from a local hospital that is looking to outsource their vct strip/clean/wax service. I am meeting with the lady tomorrow to do a walk-through. It will probably be a quick scrub to get the top layer of wax and then rewax. I'm not sure yet how big of an area, if it's only main hallways or going into individual rooms ect. Does anybody and any input on what kind of price to go off of? My assumption is that I might have to break it into a couple days of work depending on layout and when I would be able to do this. I would love to land a contract on this job but also don't want to bid too low.

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
I just got a call today from a local hospital that is looking to outsource their vct strip/clean/wax service. I am meeting with the lady tomorrow to do a walk-through. It will probably be a quick scrub to get the top layer of wax and then rewax. I'm not sure yet how big of an area, if it's only main hallways or going into individual rooms ect. Does anybody and any input on what kind of price to go off of? My assumption is that I might have to break it into a couple days of work depending on layout and when I would be able to do this. I would love to land a contract on this job but also don't want to bid too low.
If its your first time with this job bid high to account for the unknown, and there always is unknowns with strip and wax. Some janitors don't even strip they just wax on wax on wax. I just raised our strip n wax rate to .85

Reactions: floorclean

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
.40-.75 for a scrub/recoat for me. If you have an autoscrubber it makes it a lot easier for hallways. I can do a long hallway in 20-30 minutes and lay 2 coats of wax in a couple hours. The coats put down does depend on floor condition. Never put less if the floor needs more, even if it's your standard amount. You can charge more at that point if the customer agrees but always make the floors look good so they last.

Reactions: Timothyscarpet

JanMan

Sep 15, 2020
Real Name
Jack Connor
TimetoShine,

Hospitals are tricky for the very reasons you mention. I would personally do the math on how much time you think its going to take and price accordingly, instead of set sq ft rate and like Tim said, don't be surprised to have a 15 thick coats on the edges and around door ways, etc.

TimetoShine

Jul 26, 2020
Real Name
James Cannon
I ended up turning this down. They were looking for a full complete outsourcing on all their floor cleaning, they wanted a company to be able to send guys over during the daytime each day to do routine maintenance and then again at night time to do stripping and waxing. Trying to cut back on labor costs of employees but I'm not sure anyone would be able to accommodate something like this

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
I ended up turning this down. They were looking for a full complete outsourcing on all their floor cleaning, they wanted a company to be able to send guys over during the daytime each day to do routine maintenance and then again at night time to do stripping and waxing. Trying to cut back on labor costs of employees but I'm not sure anyone would be able to accommodate something like this
Its hard to turn work down but in the end usually your better off.

JanMan

Sep 15, 2020
Real Name
Jack Connor
Thats tough to pass on. Thats the type of break one gets that can really bring their business to another level. That said, you really have to be set up to take something that big on and would be hard to learn on the fly.